Back on testing verve, vervette

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:46 am

Back on testing verve, vervette

Hi,

After many years, testing this verve software again.
I think I just didn´t have time to mess around with it, and that I really don´t like the UI, from my point of view it´s just bad I am afraid I honestly have to say..it´s not really something enjoyable to work with for me with that Kai module look.
I just discovered that there was actually an online version, the vervette, and that is a bit better in the UI element, though size of the panel could be reduced, I also do not see any image loading in the online version.

Now...the vervette online version has ctrl-shift for scaling the brush size, that is nice, verve however..the bracket types..which I do not like, and I do not see a way to customize shortcuts in verve?
Other things as just reseting everything to default or start a new canvas, can´t even find that as a button in verve, it needs one.
buttons need naming, such as load etc to make it direct and easy to use.

Otherwise I love the feel of the painting of course.
I just tried to make a little fuzz about it again on the Newtek forums, me Prometheus over there.
I also thought Dear Taron wasn´t active anymore in this digital world, but now I can see there are some posts of lately.

The UI needs a total re-wamp, if it does get one...I am utterly convinced verve could become a tool to speak of like never before, provided the UI is much better of course.

If I get the time I´m gonna record some more showcasing of it ..especially for fluid distort on premade images, I think I started this verve tool up again due to a Newtek discussion on NPR rendered clouds, and some approaches on distorting smudge blend edges of such renders.

Site Admin

Post Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:47 am

Re: Back on testing verve, vervette

Hey Prometheus, how nice you came back to Verve and even looked at the online webGL Sandbox I've made to prepare for the development of Vervette! What you see online is not "Vervette", but my sandbox to wrap my head around webGL and how I could pull off a painter in browsers. Funny enough, Verve was nothing else and I just never got around to make a proper UI for it or put all the features in that I have in mind.
Vervette will be a brilliant opportunity for me to rework everything, especially the UI, but so much more, too. There's still much for me to learn, but my goal is to have an online account system for people to work together, "paint" together, learn from each other interactively and showcase more than their art, but their methods, too, if so desired and the biggest kicker will be something that should bring a whole new level of fascination to it, but I'm having to hold back to share too many details about it just yet. Let's say, it'll be a playground for innovations of all sorts in and around the 2D realm.

I have yet to present a properly developed UI and we will see what it will be like when I actually put my mind to it. Things I will have to consider are going to challenge me for sure, but I'm hoping for plenty of feedback from you and everyone then. My goal there is to make it customizable as much as is reasonable within a browser, but I will always try to make it as sparse as it can be to never be in the way, yet, all important components should be as clear and as easily operatable as possible, too.

But I will have to get to it. Messages like yours do give me a proper boost and make me very happy! I don't mind the scolding, because it's totally justified. :ob ...and I hope to see some of your recordings, too! Sounds definitely interesting! :)
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:54 pm

Shortcuts.jpg
Shortcuts.jpg (150.54 KiB) Viewed 4496 times

Hey Prometheus,

I agree about UI, but the shortcuts are not bad.
Space and drag LMB for brush size, btw.

But even that is not listed properly.
Back in the days when I used verve a lot, I wrote me a list for my wacom Cintiq.
Whenever verve is open and I press one defined wacom key, and this list pops up.
That helps me to remember all functions, when I am opening verve those days.
You can record brush strokes and replay and even show motion vectors while replay. It's crazy.
So much potential.

Verve Sandbox online is nice, but rendering looks very plastic against original verve. Maybe just my personal impression.
But it is doing it's rumors and even in a mobile sculpting app forum, vervette is known.

That said, the potential was and is big.

I never understood why taron don't want to make it into a real product, or better said I do.
I procrastinate way to often.
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram

Site Admin

Post Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:07 pm

Haha, THANKS, Knacki!
For the last 4 years now it isn't procrastinating, but scrambling to bring the software development I do together with my wife to success. There are reasons that go beyond all practical or ordinary reasoning for why I choose to support our project with all my might. ♥ ...but I am direly longing to get back to painting and the painfully awesome concepts I have lined up for both my beloved Verve and Vervette. Luckily I feel like nobody is going to scratch the concepts I have planned for them, because they are kind of "gen after next-gen", haha, whereby it will most definitely feel like "DUH" for most of you here. :hihi: :hyper:

I have overcome largely my dislike to go commercial with my love-children, so to say, and that will really bring things to a serious point once I go at it again. As always it will be for the good of all of us artists and will not hurt, but it may take the pain away from me that now years of tasting actual poverty have brought. Whereby to be perfectly honest, it's just technically poverty, but I'm generally, emotionally pretty damn happy aside from my lack of teeth these days, hahahaha. Choices. :roll:

Yeah, life on earth is quite something. Not to love it means not to have understood, but it's truly challenging to love all its challenges, too. :hihi:

Before I drift off topic too far, fantastic that you've shared your little cheat sheet again! :beer:

OH, and I'm upset I haven't gotten around to share the last state of the Sandbox with you, because it has a bit of a wider range for the shading, aside from a number of great improvements and additions. But all of this is going into the REAL version of Vervettte, once I get to it.... grrrrrrrr.... :hyper: :PP :hyper:
OH YES, and I did hook up pen pressure, since I'm now on Win10 (even Win11, actually). But the damn windows Ink has to be on for that to work and it has idiotic other side effects like that Modifier Key bubble and such. :tantrum:

WAAAHHHHH! I've only updated to Win11 a few days ago and LO AND BEHOLD they have FIXED WINDOWS INK!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
That's AWESOME!
Finally, at least something! Hurray!

Post Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:38 pm

Keep the good work! c:! :beer: 8-)
Is beautiful that please without concept!
http://moiscript.weebly.com/ https://schmoll8.wixsite.com/magicavox
Latop: Geforce GTX 950M, Intel Quad Core i7, Windows 10, 8 Gigas, 2.4ghz

Post Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:08 pm

:hug:
Stéphane Ginier, developer of Nomad Sculpt and former Sketchfab developer was thinking about two software apps to develop.

-Sculpting app
-Fluid simulation painting app

He decided to do Nomad Sculpt and hit the right time, where mobile devices are getting strong enough.

He really likes vervette and so do lots of people.

I started 8 years ago painting with verve.
Since then we saw some imporvements, no doubt.

But there are thousands and thousands of tablet users waiting for a decent fluid simulation painting app for IOS and Android.
These are the devices!
You could make their users super happy.
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram

Site Admin

Post Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:34 am

Hopefully I can get all the pieces I need for a Java based approach. That will make it most pleasant to go for IOS along with all other platforms, even Android.
Lots left to learn!

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]