GPU to weak to do 6k? Working in tiles/slices ;)

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:01 am

GPU to weak to do 6k? Working in tiles/slices ;)

Hello dear Ververs,

I love Verve so much, but my GPU makes me sad ... but I will share you my idea, its simple but good

1) Paint your concept in Verve in a low resolution - easy and fast / only very basic shapes and forms and your color ... e.g. 2kx1k
2) Increase the resolution in Gimp/Photoshop ... and made some slices 6kx3k
3) make some slices in 2kx1k + 100-200px ... for overlappings ....
4) paint your picture slice by slice and set the slices together ....

5) if you are a panorama - photographer ... its a little bit the same technique - because you made for an X° ... 180° ... or even 360° sphere panorama also a couple of pictures :ob

or

safe money for a better GPU ;) :ob
my system: intel7 - 2600k, gtx 970, dualboot windows 7 64 bit / ubuntu 14.04 lts
my deviantartpage: http://zeropainter.deviantart.com/gallery
my youtube channel: zeropainter - ok, there are only 2-3 very short videos

Site Admin

Post Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:09 am

Re: GPU to weak to do 6k? Working in tiles/slices ;)

Eheheh, Zero, I took the liberty to rename your thread, because we don't want any GPU to feel bad! :lol: :|
I don't even know, if there is one that makes Verve work at 6k, really, outside military or Nasa, hahahaha! :? :lol:
But later on I might actually look for solutions that can make that possible.
Some of it may lead to concessions such as limiting the area for fluid actions by pulling out a rectangle area or so.
However, if you've made such a giant Verve piece, post a link, please! I'd love to see that. :shock: 8-)
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:14 am

It's just a ver basic WIP progress, It will be a nice apocalyptic scene with a nice dark/red sky ... and a ruine in the foreground

So you are think? That I'm will be happy with my 1GB 550Ti too? Thats so great Taron, I 'love' you ... thank you so much dear friend :ob

giant only for my GPU 4928 x 3264 :)

ps. maybe are also 2048px are good, 150-DPI? For Art Printings in DIN-A3? I never did print my artworks, but I think, that I will do it with an artwork from Verve :ob

pps. Dear taron, what you think about a WIP - work in progress section in the gallery - thread? ;)
my system: intel7 - 2600k, gtx 970, dualboot windows 7 64 bit / ubuntu 14.04 lts

Site Admin

Post Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:40 am

Great idea! I like W.I.P threads, especially if they inspire more people to actually show their process! Great idea, indeed! :ob

As for art prints; sometimes it's amazing how well 2k holds up even on larger prints. It's a matter of materials used (canvas as paper, good colors). It'll come across just as pleasing as anything else. Sometimes the super-sharpness is not even that nice to look at and almost wasted in a way. I've got an (larger than) A3 print on Canvas of an old ArtRage painting of mine at about 1k and it looks hands-down perfect, honestly.

Post Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:47 pm

Hi Taron, your idea about limiting the area for fluid actions is very good! 8-) What about to limit the area for fluid actions by a radius around the mouse cursor? Radius size could be defined somewhere in the UI or in the Verve's arguments (for example: Verve -fluid400 -width1920 -height1080 that means 400px radius and 1920x1080 canvas size) :roll:

Site Admin

Post Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:33 pm

Sounds a little bit like what I've tried already a little bit and is currently active with fluidity 0%, where only within the brush radius the canvas gets updated. With fluids it wouldn't quite work, because they'd have to remember where they were to keep going, even if you're brush is no longer there. OR you mean to do a one time definition of the area where ever you may be at that moment, kind of like an alternative to pulling a rectangle, just a click on the center of the desired area?!
Well, we'll figure something out, what ever will feel right. :)

Post Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:48 pm

Yes, and for saving also VRAM ... maybe like in the old strategy-games with "fog of war" maybe :beer: if its possible anyway ;) ... or "hide area" e.g. ;)

Is there maybe also an other softwaresolution? I have much of RAM, would be nice if I could spend this for the GPU. If I did upgrade my computer or buy a new system in 3-4 years ... I will take care for good VRAM too :mrgreen: ... because in 2011 I mind, that a small GPU is nice too, because I'm not a gamer since 7-8 years. My last computer-games are e.g. CIVILIZATION III, COSSACKS, RETURN TO THE CASTLE OF WOLFENSTEIN, STAR CRAFT I / WARCRAFT III and UNREAL TOURNAMENT 2004 :lol: uhhh .. the time goes so fast ... my new Computer Games are now VERVE and so on :mrgreen:

Site Admin

Post Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:55 pm

:? hm? :oops: ...I don't quite follow entirely, but I can only carefully repeat that using RAM will remove the realtime component almost entirely, especially if you go to higher resolutions. What on earth did old strategy games do? :? ...sorry I'm so puzzled, but eh...can't help it right now.

Post Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:23 pm

Taron, I thought the first solution you mentioned (to remember where the fluids were to keep going). Of course I cannot imagine if it is possible to solve or not and how much additional memory is needed to use. Apparently it will be needed to store the limits for the each stroke and recount the limits for all vectors related to it. I'am a developer but I don´t know how your engine works. Consider please my ideas as a brainwashing :)
The second approach you mentioned (one time definition) sounds fine too and looks easier to implement than the first one. But what I know..

In any case Verve is fantastic tool and I am happy that I can use it..
Take care Taron
Attachments
area.jpg
Mouse/Pen path defines center points of the areas
area.jpg (53.88 KiB) Viewed 15008 times

Site Admin

Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:13 am

Yeah, wouldn't that be nice, haha, but the fluids will flow beyond the limits of your stroke, you know. You push the whole paint and it goes quickly outside of such a limit.
It's a tough thing, that's for sure. I could try to make some educated guesses about the expansion of such a fluid area, and that could get really useful once resolutions become really big, but they can go wrong, too, and then I have borhani make a whole new thread for those glitches, HAHA! :lol:
So, yeah, it's tough.
Thank you, Lemi, I really appreciate it a whole lot! :ob
Next

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]