Suggestions

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:26 am

Re: Suggestions

I have two small(ish, I think) suggestions for you:
  • More Undo levels, maybe even layer-based (that would be awesome).
  • A possibility to configure the keystrokes, for example through a very simple text file. Why? Because I'm left-handed and when I will get my pad for drawing, it will be a little awkward to draw with your left hand and reach for those CTRLs and SHIFTs and ALTs (which reside on the left-hand side of the keyboard) with your right hand.

Site Admin

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:45 am

Small(ish)? Hehe, no, they're not as small as you might think. Thankfully the custom hotkey situation is partially prepared, but you can already use Control, Shift and Alt on either side of your keyboard, in case you haven't tried?!

The undo situation is a bit trickier. This could run into memory issues with the graphics board very quickly unless I would figure out a much more complicated solution. It is currently per layer, so you already have multiple undos in form of one undo per layer, haha, yes, I know, I'm just being a smartypants. I'll see what I can do.
I don't mean to start an argument on Undo philosophies, but in a way it is good not to rely on undo, but paint freely and work with what happens. The fear of losing or ruining something is not resolved by undo, but made even worse. You resolved by working forward, through the things you believe were a mess.
I've got one undo in there, because accidents happen, like touching the canvas by accident or fluids where to strong...this sort of stuff.
But, yes, eventually we'll have proper multi-level undo. ;)
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:52 am

You're actually right about the multi-level Undo. After all, there isn't such when using a real canvas and oil paint - but I've already figured out how to "correct" my mistakes from "far back" by creative use of Shift and Shift-Ctrl.

Site Admin

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:27 pm

Way too go! No such thing like mistakes... just happy accidents! ;)

Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:37 pm

hi . thanks for your awsome program. I have some suggestions:

1-Use a black&white picture as a mask to import as
fluidity map (white being nothingness and black is the ink)

2-import an image as the source and the program automaticly changes it by it's light and darkness force (darkness has more power)

Image Image
3-use an image as a pallet underneath like art history brush in photoshop and/or clone in painter (it would be awesome if it uses the guide lines to help shape the paint)

4-ability to go in full-screen mode without any additional thing on the screen (like double tapping the "F" button in photoshop

5-toggle black/white like photoshop ("X" button) for speeding up drawing the initial sketch and fix it ("D" reset to B/W)

6-changing the toolbox position in the program and floating them

7-colour material that grows by itself souffles up

8-addition of marbling teqniques

9-wet on wet teqnique

10-opening the layer based pictures like psd

11-gradiant like colours that changes as you draw it (like starting with blue and changing to green by the end of the stroke) or when you use fluidity colours that dry in a gradienti manner

12-one stroke painting technique

13-symmetry painting that when you cross the symmetry line it's continues painting (in the current state in won't show the thing you draw past that line)

14-a brush that just paints the higher point of the image and don't do anything to the lower parts.

15-painting with two materials that never mixes togheter (like water and oil)

16-when using watercolour the paper is wrinkle and cuases the colours to stuck in some of the random areas to give a sense of believ-ability and immersion

17-by adding salt to the water-colour the end result will be grainy textured.

18-by applying soap to the paper when you starting to draw the picture the soaped areas won't absurb any colours and act as a mask. And import and image as a soap mask which is different to the normal mask

19-importing mold shapes and having it starts at a certion point to fill

20-a colour material that acts like glue and it's trails never stops even when you stoped drawing

21-thin colors that are very loose and pour down the paper if you stand the canvas.

22-placing the black hole effect on the paper that eats the colors in the spot and leaves color residue

23-a custom calligraphy pen

24-addition of palatte knives

25-ability to rejoice the dried colors and slightly change them

26-ability to fill the inner side of painting with wood-like textures

thanks.

Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:40 pm

Oh My Goodness, Borhani! Slow Down!!! :D :D :D

I stopped for a moment when I hit your "symmetry" thought. I deliberately changed it away from that, because it causes more problems than having it the way I have it now. I'm willing to claim that the current solution is close to being ideal. Reason being: If the cursor switches sides during the stroke, you never fill the symmetry edge! It'll always push something away from it. Both sides of the picture are still existing, you know, even if one is mirrored over the other. Trust me, you'd be more upset, if I had left it the way you are asking for now. ;)

You've made such beautiful little sketches to all your ideas, it's so much stuff, I feel so flattered and happy you went through all this. On the other hand, this is overwhelming, you know, and some of the things lead Verve into a bit of a different direction, I think.
But you have some crazy stuff there, too, which I find hilarious and wonderful! I like the Black hole idea, hahahaha, that's funky fun! :D

Piece by piece it'll grow, but first I want to cover the basics of what I believe strengthens the character of Verve. The coming update has some nice additions already, further helping Verve's nature forward. I might actually do a little in between release before the next bigger one, because I got this clever little brush feature that I'm sure we all will enjoy! :)

But, yeah, Borhani, you're a mad man and I love it! Thank you for putting all this together! You totally rock! 8-)

Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:11 pm

thanks for reading my post, i'm waiting for the future updates.

Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:27 pm

How could I not? It's fantastic and should be an example to everyone (in principle)! I love that you've made the sketches to illustrate properly what you mean. I just would suggest to you, if you don't mind, try to figure out which 3 suggestions are most relevant to you and feed those to me first, you know! It's a little late now, of course, hahaha, but just for future reference.
It's just otherwise way too overwhelming. Can you even imagine how many ideas I'm having? I had to strike them all from my head and focus on one exciting progress after the other in order to keep my mind from exploding during the development, you know. Verve is my first- potentially- big application. I've done a few small ones like MaCrea (Material Creation tool for realtime 3d rendering) and a bunch of tiny ones for myself. Verve is begging to grow dramatically. It has so much potential. So now I need to figure out how I attack everything wisely, so I don't run myself into corners. Clever system design and such becomes very necessary.
If you don't see me realizing any of those suggestions for a while, you should know for sure that I do not ignore them at all, but it takes some time for everything to be in place. So, please, don't be disappointed in the meantime.
Maybe it is still a good idea for you to do a few paintings with it, share them with all of us, of course ( :) ) and then see, if there's something you're missing, or something you'd really, really want. Then try to keep it around 3 or 4 suggestions! ;)

Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:56 pm

i like how you responding to everyones suggestion and i have hope in you to achive alot more than you already have in future, i'm thinking about more of those suggestions and my mind won't stop here, but there is no diffrence in how you tackle it, any kind of progress is good in my mind and i can only seeing it being better and better.
don't worry about the things i have listed, i was just wanted to say it got potential and i can see it being better with some of these suggestion, i'm sure you have alot of ideas of your own and i'm looking forward to see what they are.
i'm gonna keep testing and testing untill i find every nook and cranny and i'm gonna enjoy doing it.

Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:57 pm

Borhani: wow. I very rarely see suggestions like that, for any program. Illustrated and everything; you really put a lot of effort into making those.
- - -
Taron, I think eventually you will "have to" implement at least some kind of support for importing existing pictures...or then again, not. This tool has so much potential, and it is so much fun already, I'd hate to see it grow into a slow, bulky thing which loses its original freshness. I'm sure that wont' happen, anyway.
PreviousNext

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]