verve UI cheat sheet

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Site Admin

Post Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:57 am

Re: verve UI cheat sheet

Exactly! I'm trying to establish a different concept behind the icons. Instead of borrowing analogies from "real life"- like using brushes and magnifier glasses and so on- I want to illustrate the actual actions in a simplified fashion. My hope is to have the icons be recognized by the actions they stand for and maybe even have them explain them to some degree. It's ambitious, I know. But we shall see.
Verve is its own breed of paint application and I won't shy away from having it evolve its very own nature. :shrug:
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:41 pm

That sounds cool - I wonder - I have seen this before but in which program??

Back to old UI.
I edited first picture. Found some minor mistakes. Grid is out, navigation is in. Don't know how to put both. Space is gone.

Hope it's a help for you.
Cheers,

Knacki

@ Pilou I'll check how big this file gonna be. Here are some blank templates so you can use a text editor. Which could be much more easy btw. Tell me if you need the PS file. It is PS2015.
Attachments
Verve-UI_blank.zip
(161.35 KiB) Downloaded 688 times
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram

Post Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:25 pm

Krita! I've seen this icon approach, or better said, for some tools they use this kind of approach in krita. Most of them are more complex showing tool & result.
Kind of cool, but they did it very colorful. I prefer the painting being on the canvas, not around, but that's my personal taste.
An UI have to be dark - I am working mostly during night - all human eyes starting to hurt looking into the sun. Small suns just need years ;)

I have an idea!
As I see your approach taron, and I see your very cool brush preview, maybe this just have to be done more clear. Combined with an stroke example, as a widget pop up (to adjust the orientation right above the place you will need it), that means not too complex. It should be key sensitive for CTRL, SHIFT etc. changing the result preview to what i.e you have shown.

That would be very, very innovative and cool.

But before spending ages in UI - I am seriously missing real transformation and masking, and both combined. Color layer adjustments via HSL & Gamma or Curves ....... these are the most missing imho :)

Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:53 pm

Yeah, I thought for the brush designer portion to have a real time stroke preview.
Anyway, Krita is one of my favorite examples for how not to do it or how I would never do it, haha...it's like an icon nightmare...ocean of clutter.
I really want to maintain a sense of constant and easy focus. It's a good challenge for sure! We'll see...
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:41 pm

Yeah - that sounds good. I was a little bit afraid you would like to go that krita way, because the preview really looks a bit into that direction.
As always, one can learn from all approaches.
Me, I like the Procreate for ipad interface very, very much.
It is modern, it shows what you get. Main interface is tiny and only expands when you need it. The touch features are top notch. Unbeaten by any other app.
Would be the only reason to buy a stupid ipad pro because this is the only decent and really innovative IOS touch app which is not a step backward, or a cheap compromise to the original, as a lot of other creative apps are in comparison to desktop apps. Except music.

Ahh, talking about UI. I updated the cheat sheet once more and added the Crop, Load, Save text for these black, strange buttons buttons up there in verve. :D
Even though this is consequently done, sometimes is better to name something clearly.
I am talking about those first 30 minutes in which a test version turns into a used or thrown away software. ;)
Never mind, just my personal opinion.

Post Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:54 pm

ARTRAGE did have a nice UI - but not the fluid-power of Verve c:!

in 3D I'm so sad, that SILO from nevercenter is almost dead - but SILO did have a very very fine UI ....

I hope VERVE'S NEW UI is a kind of ARTRAGE & SILO :beer:

MOI3D did have also a fine UI :ob
my system: intel7 - 2600k, gtx 970, dualboot windows 7 64 bit / ubuntu 14.04 lts
my deviantartpage: http://zeropainter.deviantart.com/gallery
my youtube channel: zeropainter - ok, there are only 2-3 very short videos

Post Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:41 am

Yes Moi UI and Artrage UI are very fine! :ob

@Knacki : your 2 images are sufficient! Thanks : I will fill them tomorrow! :ugeek:
Is beautiful that please without concept!
http://moiscript.weebly.com/ https://schmoll8.wixsite.com/magicavox
Latop: Geforce GTX 950M, Intel Quad Core i7, Windows 10, 8 Gigas, 2.4ghz

Post Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:15 am

Done! ;)

Is beautiful that please without concept!
http://moiscript.weebly.com/ https://schmoll8.wixsite.com/magicavox
Latop: Geforce GTX 950M, Intel Quad Core i7, Windows 10, 8 Gigas, 2.4ghz

Post Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:19 am

C'est très bien!

And now let us spread again the magic of verve :D

Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:21 am

Ah, you guys so rock! 8-)