Hey there,...

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:40 am

Re: Hey there,...

Hey Feiss, that's one heck of a message right there! Weee! :D
Oh, the good old Lightwave hay-days, haha. Yeah, man, I'm happy you've found me again. I'd love to see what you'll do with Verve and I'd love to see your pixel painter, too! Together with drpetter we had started a painter "Canvarion" (worktitle: ttcanvas), which had some excellent pixeling powers, hehe, but it never got an interface and was all software, eventually just sort of fading away...

Anyway, you're absolutely right; I'm back! I've been sucked into work life for so many years and eventually just put my foot down and ran, hahaha... kinda. I regret nothing, but I'm thrilled about the life I've chosen now. Hence: Verve! (amongst other things) ;)

Welcome to the forum! Oh, and frequently check for updates...I'm really crazy with that stuff and kind of update 10 times a day right now...so, eh...best to just check in the morning, or so, hahaha! :P
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:36 pm

Hello, I just want to say that I am blown away with Verve, these are the most awesome 267Kb I've ever seen :D

I feel like back then when I saw for the first time the awesome .fr-08: .the .product - a demo in 63.5 kb and for the first time on my life realized the power of programming! Unfortunately, I am insusceptible to coding, my brain is not wired for it I guess, so I admire your achievement even more!!!

I really hope that you will continue to develop and improve upon your software, the "feel" and texture quality that it produces is simply amassing!!!

One thing I'd like to suggest (if at all possible ) is to add the ability to extracting the normal and/or height map of a painting. The one thing that make real oil paintings stand out for, are the shadows/highlights of the material-paste. Shadows that react to the lightning conditions in witch they are being viewed. In digital paintings this "interactive" quality is missing. I imagine paintings made with Verve imported into game engines or a movie comps, being lit and react as real media, it will be uber! :lol:

Anyway, great job, I am really glad I found out about Verve, I am inspired by your work!

Be well,

Elias Pierrakos

Site Admin

Post Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:06 pm

Thanks, Elias, ha, that's so cool... Farbrausch, yeah, those guys are crazy. If I were using their methods, Verve would probably be around 20kb, hahahahaha! Thus far I've used Blitzmax as framework, which is quite wasteful and I could easily strip this down a lot more. The whole thing is merely a prototype, really. But it works! :D ...sort of, that is. Still some compatibility issues here and there. :roll: ...whereby that's really the openGL and I'm working it out piece by piece!

YES, that is totally planned and totally no problem at all, saving out color and depth components separately. In fact, I wanted that from the start, because of my ZbornToy for AfterFX, which does realtime shadows, too. I might still goof around and hook that into Verve as a "quality render" option, but, yeah, would be perfect for all sorts of things, too, including textures for 3d models, of course. There is a great deal of potential, I know that so very much, and I can't wait to make more of these things happen. Just have to organize myself a bit, I'm still having to do some paying projects in the meantime. Who knows, maybe one of these days Verve could become my "job". :)

Thanks for joining up and welcome, of course! I hope you get to post some paintings in the gallery, too! At the very least your "First Doodle"!!! ;)

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:05 am

Am I the only here intimidated by... all you pro people! ;_;

Hey, Daniel here, just call me Dan or Danny or malphigus or something. :D 15 year old student who's currently facing final exams...

I'm only in the art industry for about 2 years now, (if you can call it an industry) And at first I tried Sai but soon moved to Photoshop and been using that ever since. My works are nowhere professional, but I'm pretty motivated and passionate about art :D (pretty, because, well, we're all multi-talented here xD I also take interest in writing, science and learning new languages!) I feel so out of league here because my art is pale in comparison to all of you people's art! Ahhh ._. One can only dream achieving that level someday!

Discovered Verve just now! I saw a tumblr post with your demo video on my dash and I checked it out... and was immediately swamped away! I say, a very very wonderful program! And it's free too! :D I will start... once the lag problem goes away!

I'm so lucky to have stumbled upon this nice, friendly community, especially its admin, namely Taron :D You're so friendly and nice and relatable and and and... overall, a joy to have around! :D

Expect me dropping by soon again!

Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:34 am

Hey Danny, looks like you came to the right place, I'm looking forward to having a wide variety of artists at many levels of their own development share their experience here. This is about creativity, not a show-case of grandmasters, you know, hehehe. :D
The more talent reveals itself here, though, the more it will elevate everyone's skill level, of course. And when the really big artists come, and I sure hope they'll do, things could get awe-inspiring, I believe. :shock:

You have a "lag" problem, you say? As I keep saying, Verve really lives and breathes based on the hardware it is run on. It's very existence is due to the funky idea I had to let the GPU handle fluid dynamics. If your graphics card is a bit too old or a bit too weak for real time shaders, Verve will be laggy for sure. One way of speeding it up is to set the Fluidity down to 0%. Seems odd, because that's kind of the whole kicker, but when you really paint, it's actually more about blending colors and such, which still works just fine!

Anyway, can't wait to see what you're doing and if you'd like to, I'd love to give you feedback, of course, see if I have some tips for you! ;)

Welcome to the forum, that's for sure! 8-)

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:57 pm

Taron wrote:Hey Danny, looks like you came to the right place, I'm looking forward to having a wide variety of artists at many levels of their own development share their experience here. This is about creativity, not a show-case of grandmasters, you know, hehehe. :D
The more talent reveals itself here, though, the more it will elevate everyone's skill level, of course. And when the really big artists come, and I sure hope they'll do, things could get awe-inspiring, I believe. :shock:

You have a "lag" problem, you say? As I keep saying, Verve really lives and breathes based on the hardware it is run on. It's very existence is due to the funky idea I had to let the GPU handle fluid dynamics. If your graphics card is a bit too old or a bit too weak for real time shaders, Verve will be laggy for sure. One way of speeding it up is to set the Fluidity down to 0%. Seems odd, because that's kind of the whole kicker, but when you really paint, it's actually more about blending colors and such, which still works just fine!

Anyway, can't wait to see what you're doing and if you'd like to, I'd love to give you feedback, of course, see if I have some tips for you! ;)

Welcome to the forum, that's for sure! 8-)

Thank you for the warm welcome!

You're a big artist yourself... and don't give me that "I'm not really" thing! :D

...Windows XP too old nowadays huh? And my old graphic card too :lol: Ah, I'll switch to my Windows 8 laptop and see what happens :) I'll report back here!

Thank you so much! Just having this talk already inspired me! You see those big shot artists everywhere with their sea of fans... but they never actually interact with them! I feel so honoured that you took your time to reply! :D

Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:27 pm

Those big shots sometimes are groomed to an almost involuntary arrogance. I wouldn't fault them, it's just a weird world we live in, you know. People don't realize that we can do what we can do for the sake of everyone else, not for our own. Once you embrace that, you have a much easier time to recognize your purpose! ;)
Uh, a laptop, I'm still scared of those, hahahaha...they often have some on-board graphics solution that is a bit sub-par. Or at least it used to be that. I'm impressed how many people can run Verve on theirs. :)

Ahm, yeah, I kinda know how "big" an artist I am, hahaha, at least in the realm of novelty, I'd say, being an old 3d artist, you know. But in terms of painting, or really any of this, what still tends to intimidate me is the fact that I've got no academical background whatsoever. That goes for everything, really. So, yeah, there's a beauty about being self-taught, but there's also the challenge of dealing with conventions. All of us are groomed to some extend to judge things based on parameters that were given to us. It's our "official" orientation. To break out of it can sometimes be more challenging than one would be ready to admit.

Anyway, I'm here for you for as long as I can help it! :geek: :D

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:12 pm

Taron wrote:Thanks, Elias, ha, that's so cool... Farbrausch, yeah, those guys are crazy. If I were using their methods, Verve would probably be around 20kb, hahahahaha! Thus far I've used Blitzmax as framework, which is quite wasteful and I could easily strip this down a lot more. The whole thing is merely a prototype, really. But it works! :D ...sort of, that is. Still some compatibility issues here and there. :roll: ...whereby that's really the openGL and I'm working it out piece by piece!

YES, that is totally planned and totally no problem at all, saving out color and depth components separately. In fact, I wanted that from the start, because of my ZbornToy for AfterFX, which does realtime shadows, too. I might still goof around and hook that into Verve as a "quality render" option, but, yeah, would be perfect for all sorts of things, too, including textures for 3d models, of course. There is a great deal of potential, I know that so very much, and I can't wait to make more of these things happen. Just have to organize myself a bit, I'm still having to do some paying projects in the meantime. Who knows, maybe one of these days Verve could become my "job". :)

Thanks for joining up and welcome, of course! I hope you get to post some paintings in the gallery, too! At the very least your "First Doodle"!!! ;)

Well, it's a damn inspiring prototype! It's plain fun just to watch the fluids mix together, I feel like a kid :lol:

I've never knew about ZbornToy, it's amazing!!! Caustics?? In After Effects!!? Come on!!! I can barely make any with Mental Ray, too complicated and time consuming!!! And just to be clear, when you say "because of my ZbornToy for AfterFX", you mean your copy, or you are involved into programing the thing??? Sorry if I am asking the obvious but my English are not very good and some times I misinterpreting stuff.

Anyway, I am glad to hear that you are already into normal and height maps, I guess coming from a 3d development environment that's a natural thought! I really hope Verve becomes your "job" and have a successful outcome in the near future! I'll be around to witness that! ;)

Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:36 pm

Oh, I wrote the ZbornToy, naturally..Eh...hmm...maybe it doesn't appear all that natural, I don't know, but yeah, it's my baby, too! :lol:
Philipp Spoeth (frischluft) joined in for the implementation and some more brilliant collaboration in it, including a beautiful polygon solution for the caustics, which we ended up writing together. At the time I figured I'd be watching him doing that part, but it turned out my contributing helped there, too. It's so long ago again, crazy. But, yeah, most of the whole thing is just my first attempt at making an after effects plugin, hahahaha. It was also just a spare of the moment kind of thing. I figured, hey, why don't I write a bump shader and try out my ideas for material shading, which I was talking about for over 10 years at the time already. So...woopdeedoo it worked and it felt really, really great! Then Philipp, who introduced me to the AfterFX SDK thought it might sell well. I was basically just excited about it for the sake of having it. I'm a lousy salesman, that's for sure. :P ...and I'm proud of it, too! :lol:

Cool, looking forward to having you around! ;)

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:09 am

Oh man, you are one of those geniuses, aren't you :shock: :oops: :lol: I, on the other hand, am one of those monkeys with the stick, randomly waving it around until a banana falls (out of natural causes) on my head and claim it as my doing! Or something! :roll:

Seriously, I don't know about your sales talents, but as for the stuff you do and the things you achieved, you are toooo modest! But In a good and respectful way! :D
PreviousNext

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]