Painting using one layer but created on a separate layer?

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:37 pm

Painting using one layer but created on a separate layer?

Let's say I open a picture to draw over
I was wondering if it's possible to draw on a separate layer while obtaining the same result from each brush stroke as I would if I were to draw directly on the picture's layer.
This way I could switch the visibility on or off on the layer containing the imported picture and see only the brush strokes residing on another layer.
The idea would be so that I can save only the brush strokes as a PNG file and use this in other programs if I wish to play around with it further using tools other program

Expressed differently,
Looking for a way way to create a link which will refer to those layers when applying stroke to the new layer
Could link more than one layer

Site Admin

Post Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:48 pm

Re: Painting using one layer but created on a separate layer

Welcome to the forum, P4prik4! :beer: (Don't remember having welcomed you before?!) :shrug:
Ahm, you can't quite do that, because of the nature of Verve. For example, fluid dynamics respond to the content of the layer you are working on, but not on any other layer at the same time. Even conventionally painted (fluidity on 0%) Verve treats the empty areas of the layer a bit unorthodox, because it fills all pixels, which have less than ~0.001 alpha with the currently used color. This is a workaround, really, because traditionally in paint apps you would create an invisible layer during a paint stroke, which you drop on the actual layer afterwards, but in Verve it uses fluid dynamics and motion vectors to work with the colors of your layer in real time. Having to analyze and apply fluids on two layers would mean a dramatic slowdown.
So, yeah, with some restrictions and some awareness, what you're asking is possible, but with limitations.

I hope, this kind of answers it. It's a mildly tricky topic, of course. It all depends on what exactly you want to do.
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]