V99_23 Record function feedback

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:05 am

V99_23 Record function feedback

Thought you might like some feedback....with the understanding that this is a very premature experimental function in its infancy :)
No disasters yet Taron ! lol :)

Works great for the most part....somewhat temperamental.
Plays back most of the time but not always. ( maybe 10% not)
Seems more problematic when I try to play back on a different layer....sometimes I can see the colour selector change but no brush strokes.
Crashed a few times with violation error ( on default size canvas) which I otherwise never get....I think it gets confused if you muck about while its playing.

Works great with basic normal sort of brush behaviour...beautiful variations due to fluids!
Not so great at tracking giant brush angles and movements....which I happen to love using.
for example if I use a canvas wide brush 7 on edge to pull down a horizon....playback will often rotate it 90' or something random.
I love using random "N" key with colour sets and I noticed it will not record n key action if the brush is depressed and in use.
If I stop and lift the brush then hit n it will be recorded.....but that kind of defeats the whole fluids in motion thang.

So....a wonderful wonderful feature to throw in the toolset....I can imagine all sorts of cool things coming from it.
As you mentioned earlier Taron..the ability to recreate a painting with subtle(or not so subtle) variations is truly amazing.
I can imagine how useful a "scripts brush" would be for painting leaves or trees or water or even as a blender.
Instead of doing limited edition prints maybe we can start doing limited edition variations on a theme LOL!

Shift-U plays but also acts a pause...be nice if you could pause the recording too...right now it appears to create a fresh recording each time you hit U
Anyways.....I read all the stuff your imagining...sounds like a bottomless pit of possibilities :)
...would be interesting to be able to modify functions or colours while its playing back...I can see how it all might get very confusing though :)

Regardless....very very happy to have it in Verve now Taron...
THANK YOU!@#$%^&*
Macbook Pro
2.6 intel core i7
8 gb ram
Nvidia 650m 1gb v ram
bootcamp windows 7 premium

Site Admin

Post Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:18 am

Re: V99_23 Record function feedback

VERY GOOD Feedback, Stavros! This is great information and I will be able to investigate those things quite directly. That's always a blessing, knowing where troubles may lay, but yeah, it's no surprise at all, except that the access violations without knowing what you did is not too helpful, of course. Though the resolution info is helpful and spooky. Not sure for how long you were recording either. That's another thing I don't check or protect from, but I must, of course.

As for development directions...oh boy, it's so open and wanting, haha, loads of ideas already in the queue and no end to the potential for sure. Yes, I really want it to be almost like yet another brush mode, similar to images. You could run animations and then pick and choose what changes or dominates (color, sizes, directions) all that sort of stuff.
Also a real timeline editor would kick ass for sure. I love the scripting idea and hate having to write it, hahaha, but yeah... yet another thing.

Anyway, I will investigate and hopefully have an update very soon! :ugeek:
THANK YOU, Stavros! :beer:
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Site Admin

Post Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:07 am

I still have to figure out an elegant solution to [N], but other than that, angles will work beautifully already, but I haven't uploaded it, yet! So...hang in there! 8-)

Site Admin

Post Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:35 am

Okidoki, Stavros, download the latest now! [N] and angles should work fine! :D
I've also changed download location, so, please, go to the download page rather than using an old link!

Post Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:56 am

RE almost heaven :)

OMG Taron!
The brush angles and random colour n key changes are spot on, precise, perfect!@#$%^&
I was almost in tears when I saw it !!!!!! Its almost freaking perfect when it plays back!
I couldnt believe it because it all seems so random when Im swirling paint around...and yet it seems spot on somehow.
Almost....lol

Something funky still going on and Im trying to figure it out but its tricky.

First of all it does not seem to retain the dry button position on/off which I use alot to freeze/unfreeze the fluids while painting...which of course is essential.

also regarding access violation error.....
If i press record and do not use the brush then try to play it back...it crashes with violation error.
If I press record and dont use brush but fiddle with fluidity or dry button then play it back it crashes with violation error.
If I press record and just touch the brush down for even a second it will play back without crashing.

playback is also sketchy....
It only plays back properly about half the time for me...
sometimes it will do nothing
other times it will flip through the recorded colours but not make brush strokes
and other times it will create up to four or five empty new layers on top of each other by itself ? lol...then stop.
sometimes if I keep trying playback it will eventually play normally.
sometimes if I paint in a layer first then try playback it will work.
sometimes after a failed playback...I am unable to paint in that layer...as if the player overiding the brush even though the player is stopped.

Ill keep at it but its rather mysterious....I can only imagine looking at endless lines of code and trying to decifer such mysteries :)

Awsome work!...thank you for refining the brush and n key!
This is for me like being able to record a jam and go back and revisit the magic moments !
Macbook Pro
2.6 intel core i7
8 gb ram
Nvidia 650m 1gb v ram

Site Admin

Post Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:41 am

Funky stuff. It cannot create layers, so there's something really fishy happening for you, haha. :o
Thanks for the crash report up there, this should be easy to track down. I gotta go sleep now, though...

We'll figure it out! :ob

Post Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:56 pm

HEy TAron
Dont sweat this stuff ! Its an awsome fun thing to play with....
but I dont want you getting frustrated....Im sure you have better things to do
I know it was a treat to have you throw it in the old version.
:)
Macbook Pro
2.6 intel core i7
8 gb ram
Nvidia 650m 1gb v ram

Site Admin

Post Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:04 pm

Oh, Stavros, I absolutely love our interaction and feel utterly relaxed and happy about it!
:bounce:
Thank you so much for caring about me like that, it makes me love it just that much more! :beer:
Sometimes, when so much time has passed again, it's as if plenty of energy has piled up for me to truly enjoy getting back at it. Guess the only thing that keeps bugging me is that I yet have to make the transition to C++, which I really long for. I think, this will eventually mark the big departure into Verve's real future. Everything we do here, however, feeds into the experience I can use brilliantly for what's to come. Thus: Nothing happens in vain and the happiness it brings me outweighs all potential frustration. I've also come to learn that some things take time to get properly ironed out, but I have all the faith in the world that it will happen, because we make it happen!
Again: :beer:

Site Admin

Post Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:44 pm

Well, uploaded a new version with a fix for the crashes, I think, and also all the other weird stuff you ran into! It was still registering the mouse location and if you were above some buttons, it would trigger them, hahahaha.... :oops: ...so that should be fixed or patched up for now.

I've also added a really, really wicked feature I was threatening you guys with already, I think.
HIGH SPEED toggle! :twisted: :lol: 8-)
Don't get too used to that for the sake of your graphics card's longevity, I imagine. Though, the game I like playing really makes the fans go harder than Verve has ever managed to. Should be ok!

Post Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:28 pm

Wow that was fast! THANKS!!!!

I only have a few minutes to test it but....
Appears to be working properly now Taron...yeah!

only thing I see is that it is still not recording and recognizing drying button status
Macbook Pro
2.6 intel core i7
8 gb ram
Nvidia 650m 1gb v ram
Next

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]