"Exception_Access_Violation"

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:08 pm

"Exception_Access_Violation"

Hello Taron,

I keep running into this super annoying ...pre-crash? It won't happen while Verve is running, but I'm not able to re-open Verve once it happens until I restart. As far as I can tell searching online, it might be related to Java? I'm outta my depth here. I've checked to make sure I was running current drivers. Not sure if there's aught else I can do...

2018-06-22.jpg
2018-06-22.jpg (69.49 KiB) Viewed 16545 times
System Info: NVidia Gforce GTX 970, AMD FX-8350 8core (4.00 GHz), Windows 10
The main thing is not to panic.

Site Admin

Post Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: "Exception_Access_Violation"

Never heard of that before, nor experienced it myself. Why JAVA would have anything to do with Verve escapes me as well. It really doesn't. So you're saying, if you start up Verve a second time, this happens?
Anything else GL related running in the background?
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:42 pm

Well it could be 6th or 12th or Xth time I try to start it up. I really don't know what could be a contributing factor, as it has happened... possibly 10 times now, and usually I am just running Chrome at the time, and maybe also a Windows Explorer window and/or Irfanview or PureRef. But at some point I close at and it will be stuck at this until the restart.

I'm at work now for 7 more hours, but would a Windbg.exe dump file be of any use? Otherwise the last screenshot i uploaded on the sticky black bug should show what the GPU is typically handling when i am in Verve.

Post Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:18 pm

Did you check the task manager if some more verve processes are running? Had this with firefox once. It wasn't closing properly. The window was shut, but the process was still running. Finally it was not opening again, but adding a process each time I tried to start Firefox.

Have you downloaded verve again?

Have you tried older verve versions?
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B35e_NzDjSDBSndBSmNHcUJYTU0

Good luck!
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram

Post Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:50 pm

Interesting thoughts, Knacki! Those sound like promising suggestions... I look forward to giving them a try in a few hours :)

Post Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:07 am

I will post here if the issue resurfaces. Re-downloaded v99.35, mucked around for a while, and just spent like 20 minutes opening and closing Verve, loading .vrv files... Seems right as rain. :shrug:

Site Admin

Post Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:45 pm

Magical things can and do happen! :hihi: ...it would be interesting to find out what was happening for you there, though! :geek:

Post Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:55 pm

H'okay, so I think I've narrowed down the source of the issue. :bounce:

Just now I had the error occur for the first time since the 12th, despite daily play time with Verve (fiddling with figure drawings and unfinished projects, like...)
9- quickposes with verve 120s by 20 - Smudging(shrunk).jpg
9- quickposes with verve 120s by 20 - Smudging(shrunk).jpg (110.53 KiB) Viewed 16414 times

egonnnnnn.jpg
egonnnnnn.jpg (87.38 KiB) Viewed 16414 times

Charizard watercolor maybe.jpg
Charizard watercolor maybe.jpg (148.21 KiB) Viewed 16414 times

Anyway. So when it occurred, I opened task manager and found that of the 30-odd 'tasks' Chrome had started, one only was using the GPU (taking up about 3%). I zorched that with End Task, and Verve could open again!

(Incidentally, before this worked, I checked with the prior version 0.31, which brought up the same "EXCEPTION..." business.)

However, as I was typing this, I tried opening Verve again, and it once again EXCEPTION'd. This time there was no Chrome task utilizing GPU, so I started closing applications listed in the Nvidia tool-tip window. Closing MicrosoftPhotos.exe solved it for the space of a few minutes, but then Verve balked again. Closing Nvidia.share solved it for a few minutes, but then Verve E_A_V'd again.

Then Nvidia Share (32 bit) reappeared by itself in Task Manager. Closed it again, instant reopen by itself. Okay... So I closed the next thing on the list, which was the "Nvidia Web Helper Service". Now THAT has not reopened itself, and even though Chrome is still open (with a hilarious amount of tabs thanks to my considerable ADHD and SGDQ), Verve seems to be running perfectly.

And now, I have just installed GeForce Experience, just so I could un-toggle Nvidia's In-Game Overlay thing. This resurrected the Nvidia Web Helper Service (gulp)... but Verve is still running like a champ. So... I don't know really. Maybe it was all an Nvidia bug that got patched?

I hope this was helpful. If I run across E_A_V again, I will post about it here. I hope you are all having a pleasant, Vervey, and, perhaps, fizzy Sunday. :beer:

Site Admin

Post Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:30 pm

Very interesting! Thanks for that report! And I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOUR GALLERY THREAD APPEARING and filling up with all this goodness!!! :hyper: ...great studies! c:!
ADHD, pfff...this only means you are full of desire to discover all your powers! The sort of trembling of backed up power within you. Embrace it! Don't ever dare fight it!!! 8-) :rock:

Post Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:59 am

Taron, thank you. I really do appreciate the compliment, and wise words... truly, a most excellent point of view.

I am afraid my gallery post will probably have to wait for a little bit. I have a poster to create for a local board game convention by the end of the month, and it will likely consume most of my free time. But I look forward to making my thread and all its goodies. c:!

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]