Problem importing custom brushes

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:20 am

Problem importing custom brushes

I have been fooling around with Lemivision's app, for converting Photoshop brushes or PNG files to Verve custom brushes.

http://www.lemivision.cz/abr2verve.html

I tried both Photoshop abr brushes and PNG files, In both instances it made a Verve custom brush but unfortunately it made a black outline around the brush like a cartoon outline. Verve reads the black outline as black paint, which muddies the brush when you use it.

I decided to create a 32 bit PNG with a alpha channel (transparency) with a transparent background as a source file. This cleared up the black outline on the brush and Verve imported it perfectly. I know Verve does not support importing a 32 bit PNG with a alpha channel (transparency) so I was quite surprised when it did. The brush performed beautifully and the result was amazing.

However when I tried saving the image as a PNG file or the file as a project file Verve crashed.

Does anyone know a workaround to the black outline problem or must we wait for Verve to support 32 bit PNG

From playing around today I think being able to import custom brushes (made outside Verve) with 32 bit PNG would take Verve to a whole other level.

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:26 am

Re: Problem importing custom brushes

Just a update I also imported a professional Photoshop brush (not my own) and no black outline. I thought maybe my brushes were crappy and good professional brushes would work no luck Verve still crashes. It must be that Verve does not support transparency. Man it really hurts to see these beautiful brushes at work and I can not even save the image sob :cry:

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:19 am

I may have a solution. Import the brush as a 32 bit PNG Verve has no problem with that.

Make one mark with the imported brush, and make a new custom brush in Verve from that mark. I tried that and the custom brush made in Verve is not bad, not as good as the one I imported but still something.

There is still one problem I need to delete the brush I imported or Verve will crash on saving. It's first in the row of custom brushes on the top left. Is it possible to delete a custom brush in Verve. I do not know the keyboard command if there is one.

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:32 am

Here is a screen shot of the imported brush with the alpha channel. You can see what kind of nice effects it has.
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg (130.42 KiB) Viewed 11080 times
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg (130.42 KiB) Viewed 11080 times

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:58 am

Maybe it's not the alpha problem at all. I made a custom brush in Verve using verve brushes saved it and opened it again. Verve crashed when I tried to save a PNG file painted with the custom brush I created in Verve :PP

Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:31 am

Crash is fixed! 8-)
...don't know about the fancy conversion tool, but I will eventually have a closer look at it, too.
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:12 am

...woops, and another fix. Also had troubles saving projects afterwards. But it's fixed now, too!

Post Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:18 pm

Hi Taron
I noticed I was getting the same problem again. Saving a png file from a project file. Then I realized what the problem was. I saved the project file from the new version of Verve, but for some reason my system would open it in the previous version of Verve! :shrug:

The only option I could think of was to take all project files made in previous versions of Verve off my computer. After I did that when I opened the new project file I created in the new version of Verve my computer asked what application to open it with and I picked the new version. Problem solved! :ob

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:57 pm

Tsss, yeah, I know that issue, too. Something to watch out for! But now you know, so that's good. ;)
...if you are brave, you can check the system registry (regedit) and find the key for .vrv files. It show the location and name of the exe it uses to open such files. There you can always manually set the right verve version.
When all is ready, I will make a proper installer for Verve, too, which should take care of these things then automatically, but it will be some time until then. :geek:

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]