Problem with canvas texture

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:42 am

Problem with canvas texture

Hi Taron
I have been devoting most of my time painting in Verve. I have not had a chance to upload any to the gallery. You can see my efforts on Instagram if you like {you do not have to join just click or copy the link to my feed page}
https://www.instagram.com/robinroy1/

Your program is a great joy to me and allows me to create works that otherwise would be impossible to make. I say this as a abstract painter who made large real abstract paintings of paint on canvas for years.

Verve looks and acts like real paint.

I have encountered a perplexing problem regarding making the material on a layer into a canvas texture. I keep hitting control P but it either just changes Verve to the current color picked, like if I just hit P or nothing.

I thought perhaps the problem was because I made the canvas as large as possible without crashing it. but I also have tried many times with the default version I downloaded without changing the dimensions, and I still can not get it to work.

Do the series of round icons in the bottom right corner have anything to do with it? I have watched all your tutorials and have never seen their function explained. There is another button there that has the options { > + = } I have no idea what they do.

I did manage to make a canvas texture one time I saved that version as a project. How do you remove custom a texture made with surface material. I tried making a new material on a layer into a canvas texture over it but it just disappears when hitting control P only to return when I repeat hitting control P in a attempt to create a fresh surface texture.

Lastly I also tried using the current layer's paint as a mask [shift]+[q] and this does not seem to work either.

I noticed there is a ! exclamation mark next to these procedures in the documentation for the program does this mean there is a problem doing these functions?

Sorry to ramble on so long I guess these functions would be a boon to the type of work I do. So any guidance would be appreciated.

Regardless of these problems which may be unique to myself I give my sincere thanks, and the very best wishes to you and your wonderful program.

Robin Roy

Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:05 am

Re: Problem with canvas texture

Robin, oh, I would LOVE to have your paintings in the gallery thread here, please, start a thread there, that would be awesome! c:!
[Ctrl]+[p] toggles through the 3 canvas texture modes. (1. woven canvas, 2. custom canvas, 3. ancient canvas, then it rotates back to 1, then 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3....)
[Ctrl]+[Shift]+[p] takes a new snapshot of your layer into the canvas texture and switches to custom canvas!

[Shift]+[q] to make a mask from the current layer should always work! You can then hit [Ctrl]+[q] to get into mask mode to verify. Know that the material of that layer will turn into the mask, meaning that it is covered. If you want to inverse the mask, hit [Ctrl]+[Shift]+[q]!

The terrible little paint GUI in the bottom right corner has a number of buttons, which formerly were hidden in hotkeys. This [ > + = ] toggle is for the paint mode, controlling how the paint will be applied to the layer.
[ > ] is the standard paint build-up mode. Paint your brush puts on the canvas will always add "material" to it.
[ + ] is additive color. Your chosen color values will be added to the color values on your canvas, making them brighter and brighter. Ideally you'd want to paint with a very dark color to get a controllable effect, or very low opacity.
[ = ] will ignore what's already on the canvas and make your brush put paint on the canvas up until your dialed up "build-up" amount. When you set build-up to 1.0 and paint with full opacity, the paint under your brush will be pushed to exactly 1.0, for example. This is practical, when you do pencil like sketches.

ALL of this stuff is still just in a temporary state, not having a proper GUI section for it and nicer mechanics. But it will all come! I hope, I could help you a bit already.

Cheers and welcome to the forum, Robin! :beer: ...I'm excited to have you on board and you can always, always ask questions and give feedback! It particularly makes me happy, since you come from "the real world" of painting. I wanted Verve to provide a painting sensation that is natural to the computer in its inner workings, but also natural to our understanding, when we work with it. Something that won't force you to suspend all expectation, but allow you to develop a living intuition during painting on the machine. Reading feedback like yours really makes me super happy, because it validates my motive and the path I'm taking. There is still a lot ahead, of course, regarding improvements and additions. Above all will come a proper GUI with the kind of guidance that hopefully explains itself nicely, so you can get even the program-technical aspects into a place of intuition.

Cheers,
Taron
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:28 pm

:PP
I was banging my head all day trying to get these functions going.
MASKING
before I had been using the basic masking function by clicking the mask button which only allowed me to use the default round soft brush that appeared.
Thank you, thank you for explaining the keyboard shortcuts more clearly. Now I can make a mark with a custom brush on a layer and it is a mask. Beyond brilliant!!! It adds a level of image complexity a thousand fold for me.

The reason I did not think it was working is I never thought to switch to mask mode to check.

CUSTOM CANVAS TEXTURE

[Ctrl]+[Shift]+[p] takes a new snapshot of your layer into the canvas texture and switches to custom canvas!

This was the key that fixed fixed the problem for me. When I do this it works!!!

Maybe I have a problem regarding toggling. I have a bit of Dyslexia. Regardless problem solved and I am overjoyed.

Thanks for taking the time to respond Taron it was very very appreciated.

I will try to post my work in a gallery at the 250k size they may not look like much. I would also imagine your target audience is more interested in figurative work so they may be baffled by how I use the software and what I produce with it.

Now back to painting.

Many thanks and best regards

Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:27 pm

Oh, no, abstract art is completely part of the target audience and we have plenty of people rotate through here, who love it! If you go through the top row, you will find a few abstract geniuses in there!
As for the 250k limit, paintings in the gallery are more or less a way to preview a scaled down painting. You can always post links to larger images. I believe, most people view images on the computer, well, on the computer, where only few people have large monitors, for example. If they zoom up a painting to full screen, they get enough of the idea of the painting to enjoy it completely. In fact, when somebody posts a 5k image here, I'm almost annoyed, because I have to wait for the download and then have to scale it to my desktop resolution to see the whole thing. Rarely is it necessary, I find. But that's just me.
So, yeah, you can also ALWAYS post a link to your instagram site or any other online gallery like deviant art. A few of our artists here do that. :ob

Well, I'm happy I could help and enjoy to be there for you anytime! :beer:
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:29 pm

You are the best I can't say this enough.

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]