Extrapolations

Showcase your Verve Art to all ages!

Forum rules
Only post Jpeg images less that 256kb in size, or post a link instead! Keep it family friendly here, please!

Post Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:11 am

Re: Extrapolations

hi Tartan,
I didn't see any of these pages before, from page 1 in order of appearance...
those enigmatic characters of your first pages,
that brown mountain paiting from your sidetrip,
that Aurora Borealis red bird that seems to be lying eggs,
those sky studies,
that huge eye in Fuzzyism,
those warp abstract paitings,
that cavern abstract,
that very convincing topographical verve map,
are amazing, hope to see more of your deep colorfull art,
I guess you are more confortable blocking shapes directly with color than doing linework.
imho i think this gives the artist an special sense of life, like Goya, that last wombat tells me that.
congrats.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gonnabdh
Portfolio: https://www.deviantart.com/eduardobedoya/gallery
System: Intel Core i7-13700K, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 16GB, CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB, Windows 11
Verve Wishlist:
-LSH color pallete
-Brightness Knob

Post Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:08 pm

Thanks Taron, You are entirely right, it was liberating trying to use a stab technique with brush 8 and just to see what it would do. I was trying for a groundhog and messed his cheek jowls up but still very fun. I refined him a lot more but think even with mistakes this looks better.

Heh Knacki. You know how much I like looking for shapes in the clouds and abstracts. This next 1 is full blown liquid with no drying. I took an old Bryce landscape I did in the 90s and completely mangled it in Verve looking for shapes, then I took it to Photoshop to change Hue, Saturation and Vibrance until I hit what I was looking for.

Thank you for the kind words Ed. There are a lot images in this thread I am iffy about my having posted but in the end it leads to better knowledge. And you are definitely right about my linework. The last sketching I did was when I was about 19 and I was better at it lol. I am much more comfortable working directly blocking with color and include black and white values in that. I started doing art again in the 90s in 3d with box modeling in Ray Dream studio, character creation in Poser and final renderings in Bryce. It wasn't until Verve found me (Thanks Frenchy and Taron ;o) ) I started 2d again but with a difference. Verve is almost 2.5 d in nature and I find myself feeling like I am sculpting with color and not just painting. And yes I love Goya. He is in my top 10 list :D Looking forward to your next :)
The Devil is in the Details.jpg
The Devil is in the Details.jpg (464.87 KiB) Viewed 11709 times
Motherboard -Asus Rampage IV Extreme
CPU - i7-3930k @ 3.2 GHZ (overclocked - 4.5)
Ram - 64 gigs Kingston Hyper Beast
GPU - 2 Nvidia 1080 GTX running in SLI

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread ... -sketches-)

Site Admin

Post Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:43 pm

Uh, that last one looks really fascinating like a mixture out of African and Inca or Maya type designs. I like the title, too, because not too long ago I had an interesting thought on how to interpret that old saying in a different way: The devil makes the details to conceal the whole. Rather than the suggestion to pay attention to the details, this saying could inspire you to rather become aware of the whole and identify the nature and origin of the details. Apply this new perspective on your life and you can sort through what really is most important and what might be in the way of recognizing the more relevant objectives.
Great painting! c:!
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:52 pm

Thanks taron :) That's an interesting way of looking at things. It is a devious devil we have :shock: An interesting parallel might be the case of "can't see the forest because of the trees" and it's mirror counterpart. Where I live at I truly can't see the forest because of the trees. I am surrounded! To see that forest one would need to back up into a meadow to gain perspective and balance. :)

B. I don't know if you will see this but I truly hope you do. My love of mirroring and multi mirroring goes back to Photoshop back in the 90's and Kai and his amazing filters. Playing with them and changing the ordinary into different patterns and effects that one doesn't realize will appear. I even used the vortex filter to make clothes for my poser models :D Clothes were hard to come by back then lol I find characters in simple mirrors. This again goes back to my 3d. Sometimes I will concentrate on a mirrored face and Then build a model around it and then use it as a texture. All of this has a sub conscious purpose. Uniformity as I try and translate to 3d later and then use in a project I have been working on. But of course I use mirrors in other ways. To create chaos out of a variety of colors using full liquid with dry off and then create Order out of the mess I just made lol. And That's when I start looking for characters in the mirror. And also symbols. Some hidden and some not. For me it's a doodle session and bringing myself into balance.

I loved your commentary and explanation of how you view the subject and the hidden axes. I will explore that one day using the image brush you are the master of. I just wish I had understood what you had written earlier. Thank you.

These next are really just more experiments in storytelling. The one with the lion like alien is a one page panel as he explains the Valdani and their home world to the crew of the Hammer. Jack the giant killer was an experiment in fluid and deep paint. It shows what I mean by Verve's 2.5 d effect. The last could be a fel flower from wow? ummm a mutant flower from my garden? o well. ;)

The World of the Valdani 01.jpg
The World of the Valdani 01.jpg (145.11 KiB) Viewed 11672 times

Jack the Giant Killer.jpg
Jack the Giant Killer.jpg (168.22 KiB) Viewed 11672 times

Flower00.jpg
Flower00.jpg (79.86 KiB) Viewed 11672 times

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:33 pm

Tartan! The devil picture is fantastic!
The world of the Valdani is a sensational landscape. In my opinion, it would have a wonderful William Turner feeling without the figure, which is good, but the landscape is a blast!
I wonder what would happen is someone would eat flower00? :lol:
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram

Post Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:00 am

heh Knacki,

Thx for the comment on the details image. That was very fun to do :D You are right about the landscape image. My poor figure just doesn't blend in and really looks overworked. The only thing I like about him is the eye. I think I will try and bring him out again with a fresh start but separate the 2 images. Here is my final of the landscape and the base for the lion alien. There is something I really like about brush 8 in combination with 9 and 1 :)

I would have to be really hungry or really drunk to eat a flower like that Knacki :lol: There is no telling what would happen. We should have a challenge to show the after effects :ud: :shock: :beer:
Final.jpg
Final.jpg (142.8 KiB) Viewed 11662 times

05 lion.jpg
05 lion.jpg (82.81 KiB) Viewed 11662 times

Post Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:38 am

While I am at it, I may as well post a reworking of an image I did earlier. I was playing with the idea of a valentine image and decided to isolate the central figures more to make them stand out better. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't.
Valentines.jpg
Valentines.jpg (212.1 KiB) Viewed 11659 times

Post Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:56 am

She looks marvelous!
His face is super differently propotion wise.
Don‘t know if they fit together. I.e. kissing could be....different.
Maybe after eating the flower and 30 Minutes wait? :)

But seriously. What if you bring him to warp and reshape him a bit more into her overall proportions? Just not double sized face, or was tht the plan?
Little warp tut to not destroy anything:
viewtopic.php?p=18367#p18367

I think it is really worth to look at that.
She is a sensation, no doubt.

Btw. The landscape is fantastic!

Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:38 pm

Yoh, Tartan, those are really fun to study. It reminds me of looking at marble tiles and trying to isolate forms...pattern recognition and such. I wonder, if Knacki sees the girls face as the illuminated bit, which does look rather beautiful. But it feels to me like you meant to have both faces dark? :shrug: ....anyhow, it's fun to pick and choose what one is looking at! :)
Definitely strong colors and exciting dynamics! c:!
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:49 pm

Left side is my fav. right side looks much less magic imho.
PreviousNext

Return to Your Artworks