Joel Gafford's Sketchbook

Showcase your Verve Art to all ages!

Forum rules
Only post Jpeg images less that 256kb in size, or post a link instead! Keep it family friendly here, please!

Post Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:16 pm

Joel Gafford's Sketchbook

Hey everyone! I recently downloaded Verve Painter and was completely blown away by how awesome and easy to use it was. I'm currently teaching myself art, particularly the CGI flavor, and I would like to share the various Verve paintings I've done, even though my main interest is in 3D modeling.

Here's a spider I painted using a photo taken by Thomas Shahan as reference. Hope you like it!

Here's my website if you care to see my other works. I'm also currently selling PBR (physically based rendering) materials for use in next gen games as well.

joelgafford.com

:)

Post Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:03 am

Re: Joel Gafford's Sketchbook

Very great starting with Verve c:! and welcome ;) - thank you also for sharing your website - great portfolio :rock:
my system: intel7 - 2600k, gtx 970, dualboot windows 7 64 bit / ubuntu 14.04 lts
my deviantartpage: http://zeropainter.deviantart.com/gallery
my youtube channel: zeropainter - ok, there are only 2-3 very short videos

Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:05 am

Uh, that's SO much fun! Great first share on here, Joel!!! WELCOME TO THE FORUM, of course! :D
I dig the depth of field you've created there. Really nice! :ob

I like the variety on your website. It's always powerful to have command over many disciplines and it shows immediately! I don't quite understand your "materials", assuming those are high resolution patterns, but they look nice. Good luck with that, too.
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:14 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!

Yeah, I love using all sorts of programs, but of all the free ones I've seen out there, I think I'm most impressed with Verve because it really gives you a tactile sensation that other programs just don't have.

The materials are tileable textures that don't just have color information but also height, normal, roughness, ambient occlusion, metalness, and roughness.

Here's a website that explains physically based rendering and the necessary texture files to make it possible in case anyone's interested.

http://seblagarde.wordpress.com/2014/04 ... -engine-4/

Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:07 pm

Ah, so it's about having all those passes that makes them "physically based", rather than some exotic rendering origin. Neat. Thanks for explaining! ;)
You'll get probably an even bigger kick out of what you'll be able to do with Verve in those regards as well. Eventually I'll hook up some more fun rendering methods, too. It's all part of the plan. Ambient occlusion, too, by the way! :geek:

Post Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:18 am

Wow that's really neat; I can't wait! Especially for ambient occlusion :D Dang that'll be awesome.

I've been working on a concept for a special effect for magic based lightning.

A used Verve for the base design, and then I added most of the glow in Photoshop.

Post Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:27 am

I did another for fire. :D

Post Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:31 am

Nice, maybe you can try also Flamepainter http://www.escapemotions.com & verve :rock: ... but flamepainter is not freeware and I see in Verve much more power, but u can paint with flamepainter also unique styles and flames :

edit: there is a free sandbox of flamepainter and you can try c:! : http://www.escapemotions.com/experiments/flame/index.php
my system: intel7 - 2600k, gtx 970, dualboot windows 7 64 bit / ubuntu 14.04 lts
my deviantartpage: http://zeropainter.deviantart.com/gallery
my youtube channel: zeropainter - ok, there are only 2-3 very short videos

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:35 am

Uh, those are beautiful!
You know that you can make glows in Verve quite well, too!? The "safe" way is to make an additive layer, of course. If you have an NVidia card, you should have no troubles toggling the paint mode to additive with [m]. But some ATi cards have troubles with that. Somehow they keep clipping, even though I tell it not to. Why, I don't know. :PP ...
Anyway, it's all gonna get better, that's easy to promise. :ugeek:

Great stuff, Joel! :ob

Flamepainter is a cute gimmick, really. I thought there is a free web thing of it? However, totally unrelated, since the core brushes of Verve are particle based, I had all sorts of things in mind with them, some of which may end up looking very much like the flamepainter stuff, but I hope nobody is gonna complain about that!?! :| ...it's really a natural feature.

Post Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:33 pm

LIKE *
Next

Return to Your Artworks