noodling around

Showcase your Verve Art to all ages!

Forum rules
Only post Jpeg images less that 256kb in size, or post a link instead! Keep it family friendly here, please!

Site Admin

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:00 am

Re: noodling around

YEhah, you're back! :lol:
That's so very soulful, it's funny how his moment makes all the strokes, all the techniques irrelevant. I find myself just puzzling over what goes on with him.
I've just yesterday done a very quick, broad painting/sketch I posted in my gallery thread, where I forced myself to let go of any attempts towards precision and it immediately gained a lot of strength in my eyes. But you show such effortlessness, it's always a joy.
I hope you get more and more comfortable with Verve, not caring about it having fluids, you know, but just work the paint you can work it like in it. (I was going to say "the way only Verve allows it", but it sounds a little off...almost arrogant, yet, I have not ever had any other painter do the things the way it can.
Try Brush #8, too! Play with the Bristle Size and Count. It's kind of amazing, I promise! :)

Also, I'm about to hook up something new that should be pretty cool. I just have to manage my time right now a bit wiser. However, it's exciting and has everything to do with color! :)

WELCOME BACK, Greg, I'm just happier already! :D
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:36 am

snake_v01.jpg
snake_v01.jpg (52.69 KiB) Viewed 10677 times
Ooh, hadn't tried brush 8, thanks for suggesting it! Feels great for blending things together. the fluidity seems to be very low on brush 8 though? Also, just quickly playing around with an idea, based on this youtube video (I don't quite have his mastery, but it's still fun to experiment) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDCvPHiqlS8
Using brush 4 and a sort of start-stop brush stroke movement to make snake-ey/dragon-ey stuff

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:30 am

dragon_02_v01.jpg
dragon_02_v01.jpg (43.25 KiB) Viewed 10676 times

Site Admin

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:58 am

So much more convincing than my attempt at exactly that, hehe. Ah well, I went all crazy with it, too, but yeah... isn't that amazing how plausible it looks for ink, watered down or so. I so can't wait to finally do my brushes properly.

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:58 am

Greg, those look awesome. Almost like X-ray negatives of snakes, haha. How did you manage those, did you play with the light source?

Site Admin

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:32 pm

Brush #5 can have that side-effect, and I'd assume that's what causes the scaly feel. Great use of it for sure, if that's what it was!? :)

Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:42 am

Cheers! :) I used brush 4 (brush 5 seems sort of the same to me?), with bump set to zero, fluidity around 60 or so, and bristle size at 100, and I tried to give the brush stroke a very slight stop start motion to emphasize scaley patterns. I'm getting an odd thing where brush 4 doesn't follow the stroke angle on my main monitor, but it does on my secondary cintiq monitor. In fact, I think it might be some kind of bug, I think brush 5 act the same on both monitors.

Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:54 am

Should point out that I get all kinds of buggy stuff with my cintiq though, it always gets stuck in an inverse mode in zbrush, which is super frustrating.

Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:36 am

It runs on your Cintiq? You have a Cintiq?
Oh man, I can't wait for mine to arrive....and am terrified. I get the "companion" and Verve appears to have troubles running on it. So I'll fix that then. :P
I doubt it'll take care of your trouble, I have no idea what's going on there?!?

If brush 4 and 5 seem the same to you, then your pen doesn't give tilt information to Verve. If nothing comes in, brush 4 reverts to following your stroke direction, which is how 5 works.

Post Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:47 am

Please continue :
I got a lot of ideas and energy Your beautiful work.
Please continue...
PreviousNext

Return to Your Artworks