DanRileyCG's Sketchbook

Showcase your Verve Art to all ages!

Forum rules
Only post Jpeg images less that 256kb in size, or post a link instead! Keep it family friendly here, please!

Site Admin

Post Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:40 am

Re: DanRileyCG's Sketchbook

HAHAHA, she's hilarious, that's for sure! Slightly mad, certainly vicious. :twisted: :lol:
I think, part of her eeriness comes from the dried up eyes. It's a little like a corpse. Looking at how you've lit her, there could've been some stronger and more consistently placed highlights in them. Look at what you've done to the lips. But lights are a little all over the place anyway. I understand how you want to stay true to a style you're coming up with, though. Well...certainly something to think about, but, yeah, it's the dead eyes that really make it creepy. :?
But definitely a great style and great colors! c:!
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:48 pm

Colours are awesome.

About cute factor - well she is stirring at me, which is not cute ;)
If you give the eyes more shine, more eyelids, it will change a lot I am sure.

Me, personally I like the cute girls of loish pretty much.
https://www.google.de/search?client=firefox-b&dcr=0&biw=1920&bih=1082&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=loish&oq=loish&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l3j0i30k1.148465.149247.0.149814.5.5.0.0.0.0.142.587.2j3.5.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.5.586...0i67k1.Ekr8iYpPzqw
She herself is kind of cute girl and reproduce herself in a little caricatured way.
Pretty successful.
I would say she nails the cute factor on adult girls - but that's a matter of taste for sure.
Aaron Blaise did a nice vid about cute proportions. I just saw the free intro, which is kind of enough for basics, I would say:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ByQoGs992Y
This is more about baby faces - but hey, why call some men their girl "baby"
Under the line, it's about cuteness ;)
Last edited by Knacki on Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram

Post Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:08 am

Taron wrote:HAHAHA, she's hilarious, that's for sure! Slightly mad, certainly vicious. :twisted: :lol:
I think, part of her eeriness comes from the dried up eyes. It's a little like a corpse. Looking at how you've lit her, there could've been some stronger and more consistently placed highlights in them. Look at what you've done to the lips. But lights are a little all over the place anyway. I understand how you want to stay true to a style you're coming up with, though. Well...certainly something to think about, but, yeah, it's the dead eyes that really make it creepy. :?
But definitely a great style and great colors! c:!

Haha! Thanks for the critiques man! Yeah, honestly looking at this piece again I basically hate it. I definitely agree with you that the eyes have that corpse like look, haha. Also, I agree with the lighting issues, It is all over the place. I need to work on my lighting for sure. Here's to more practice on this matter! :D

Knacki wrote:Colours are awesome.

About cute factor - well she is stirring at me, which is not cute ;)
If you give the eyes more shine, more eyelids, it will change a lot I am sure.

Me, personally I like the cute girls of loish pretty much.
https://www.google.de/search?client=firefox-b&dcr=0&biw=1920&bih=1082&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=loish&oq=loish&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l3j0i30k1.148465.149247.0.149814.5.5.0.0.0.0.142.587.2j3.5.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.5.586...0i67k1.Ekr8iYpPzqw
She herself is kind of cute girl and reproduce herself in a little caricatured way.
Pretty successful.
I would say she nails the cute factor on adult girls - but that's a matter of taste for sure.
Aaron Blaise did a nice vid about cute proportions. I just saw the free intro, which is kind of enough for basics, I would say:
This is more about baby faces - but hey, why call some men their girl "baby"
Under the line, it's about cuteness ;)

Hey Knacki, thanks for the link and comments! Also, I love Loish's art! I really need to sit down and just study artists who's style speaks to me.. like her, and Cyarin. Cyarin is much like you described Loish to be, a cute girl who makes adorable cartoon versions of herself. I admire their styles so much, and would absolutely love to have a similar style in my own vein. Thanks for reminding me to pay attention to what they are doing right.

Honestly, one of my problems is coming up with female characters from imagination. It's so much easier for me to draw a male character, or an ugly character with little effort. I always far less frequently come up with female characters from imagination that look good.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback and support guys! Here's a recent color study (from photo reference)! As always comments and critiques are welcome. :)

Site Admin

Post Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:11 am

Oh boy, that is vibrant! Awesome! Lava going into the sea, I take it?! Really, the luminescence and glow of it is gorgeous, so saturated, it almost hurts, but in a good way! :ob
Great, great study, Dan! c:!
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:02 am

Your use of colors is brilliant.
It's a pitty jim is not around here anymore.
You guys would really love each other!
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram
Previous

Return to Your Artworks