Brush Settings & Configurations

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Site Admin

Post Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:47 pm

Re: Brush Settings & Configurations

You know, I don't know about the SLI hardware, but the resolution simply depends on the graphics memory as far as I can tell. To let Verve do its thing, it needs various processing layers in form of fullsized texture maps. In case of high quality, it even goes up to 4 times the size. Thus, if you have a 4k image, internally it actually uses a 16k image for a certain stage, next to a number of layers at 4k and so on... On my GTX 970 with HIGH QUALITY ON I can go up to about 3.8k, but with it OFF I could go well beyond it, but it would still get rather sluggishly slow then. Anyway, so, yeah, it's memory related. Anyway, maybe I'll come up with different approaches later on, too, though, my goal is to focus on the digital painting experience itself. I might have mentioned this before, but I will have a recording feature, which should then allow you to playback your entire painting at higher resolutions, if need be. This will get tricky, but could be the solution for large scale print work. What I find so weird is that people want to work in this giant formats, while 99.999999% of people, who will ever see their work will view it on a monitor, never "zooming into details" and so on. ALSO I have a 60 inch print on canvas hanging next to me, which looks absolutely gorgeous and the image was far less than 2k, if I remember correctly. Thinking practically, it just shouldn't be so crucial to go beyond 4k, if you asked me... but this could get ugly for me, if we were to argue about it, hahaha... :oops: ...anyway, I'm trying to be practical in a naturally digital sense. Good thing is, Verve will always be as good as the hardware permits, so, it will get better as hardware gets better! 8-)

VRS are literally settings, which is a different word for "preset"... Pre-set = setting created earlier. So, yes, I could and just might hook up buttons you could assign to settings. I have long since planned to offer customized settings saving, where you could check or uncheck what kind of settings you want to save or load. Currently settings (.vrs) save everything but the image content, meaning it saves all global settings (fluids and so on) as well as all brush settings.
I realized that it could be useful, because you may have come to some finely tuned settings for watercolor like effects, or charcoal or oils and so on, which you could load by loading an image you've created that way, but you may just want to switch in the middle of a painting process to any of those settings you like... so... that would be the purpose of them! :) c:!
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:38 pm

Of course Taron that is the purpose of the settings I was intending to do, (aiming for) it is very practical, it would be great to have it.
If you want to make only a landscape, 2k height 4k width could suffice
but if you want to render a character in full body within a landscape (eg. a battle with horses with an intriguing bg) 8k resolution is needed.
yes, all content on internet is shown at 1k height, but please don't let that mislead you Taron, cuz the best/pro paintings (despite are shown at 1k height) are painted at 4 times that resolution, that's why they look so crispy.
there are even some digital painting tricks (like in PS), consisting in assign bigger canvas resolution only to the area of detail in the painting (like a portrait) in a different file, and then import them to the lesser canvas resolution file (rest of the body) and scale them down to fit and by doing so they can mainting the detail despite the resolution is not so high, and they look so crispy in the detail area, (is a very well known process in PS, I didn't invented it, is just mainstream) they do this hole process because is not possible to render a proper hair inside a low resolution canvas with an one pixel size brush.
I've downloaded chinesse digital paitings of 4k height that only depics a woman's portrait with half her body, rendering her hands and hair beautifully, cuz otherwise it couldn't be possible to paint all the skin color shifts in a low res file.
really epic artwork could be created in Verve with 8k res.

Thanks Advanced.
Last edited by eduardobedoya on Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gonnabdh
Portfolio: https://www.deviantart.com/eduardobedoya/gallery
System: Intel Core i7-13700K, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 16GB, CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB, Windows 11
Verve Wishlist:
-LSH color pallete
-Brightness Knob

Site Admin

Post Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:52 pm

I'm sorry, this is not your fault, but I bitterly hate that offensive imperative:"make no mistake!".
I'm still a bit of a digital warrior, coming from the era of pixel graphics, when people actually loved to show-off their understanding of the medium inside its very nature. Now, Verve surely isn't a "pixel graphics" tool, pahaha, but well...I still feel that part of the digital nature and embrace it as part of the challenge. That does not mean that I wouldn't understand, of course, but there is a certain choice one has to make: The feel of the painting process as inspiration to the art created with it, or the desire to create a certain result, no matter how it was made. That does not have to be mutually exclusive in the long run, of course, but for now it kind of seems to be so.

You know, Eduardo, I thank you for your wonderful desire to push Verve and me to ever higher powers, but I hope you can forgive me and Verve, if more time will have to pass before we become something closer to your ideals. In the meantime, I would love to imagine that you'll have some more fun with Verve and stay tuned as I keep taking it higher. ;)

Post Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:56 pm

oh Taron, sorry my english, is not my native language, most of it is based on movies and games, sorry again I guess is not polite at all, I didn't know. I'll edit it.
REPLACE make no mistake
WITH please dont let that mislead you

I'll do Taron, is my debt with art, with forgotten trad media, keep pushing forward.
Last edited by eduardobedoya on Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
System: Intel Core i7-13700K, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 16GB, CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB, Windows 11
Verve Wishlist:
-LSH color pallete
-Brightness Knob

Site Admin

Post Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:09 pm

How about you just don't presume I wouldn't know!!! :ugeek:
I'm not sure how aware you are about my past, but I was kind of a known visual effects artist, working for over a decade in Hollywood on some of the bigger blockbusters at the time, later also doing large resolution digital content for themeparks around the globe. So...it's a bit hard to imagine that I'd require a lecture on the subject. That's all. ;)
Normally I don't like to toot my own horn like that, but it felt like a proper moment to sort of hint at that a bit more clearly... :shrug: ...but again, it's not your mistake, as I said already!

Post Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:23 pm

sorry Teron, I recognize I'm very critic, as much as I urge to ask for critics when posting my artwork,
I guess we all came here trying to share knowledge, sorry if it looked like I was trying to lecture something or someone, is just that I understood from your post before, that 1k was enought, I just wanted to explain myself (I guess I did it the wrong way and I feel sorry for it) why I thought 8k were needed, I just wanted to state my point, share my impression, (from a trad artist who have wondered through digital media),
for example is with great humble that I share this old tuto with the forum,
http://bagprogress.blogspot.pe/2013/03/ ... _7300.html
where Cruig Mullins said he worked at 3000x5000 px canvas size in that piece, which is not the biggest of his compos.

Thanks and sorry Taron again, you have a great app indeed.
Verve Wishlist:
-LSH color pallete
-Brightness Knob

Site Admin

Post Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:37 am

Quick, point me to where I said 1k was enough, please! :o :lol:
I might've said that 2k was enough, because it really is...for having some fruitful, digital art explorations, as I have and had for the longest time. I mean, I defaulted Verve to 1280x720 not to shell-shock anyone with a laptop or a weaker graphics card and that's already technically more than 1k, so...I'd have to apologize, if I somewhere wrote that as a general statement. :?
I just want to make sure you won't run around telling people I said such a thing or even believe it yourself. :geek:

Post Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:50 am

Sorry Taron, yes I did believe it myself about that 1k thing, but I didn't mean to testify that or something similar, I just wanted to clarify why I said the 8k resolution was needed.

ALSO I have a 60 inch print on canvas hanging next to me, which looks absolutely gorgeous and the image was far less than 2k, if I remember correctly.

when you said "far less than 2k" it meant to me that that resolution would fit into the 1k realm (eg. 1500 px)
I know this printing size subject matter could lead to dpi ppi terms (300 dpi, or 72 dpi for printing), which I know you know, and I have understood that its not necessary to dig on tech issues.

Thanks again Taron, you have crafted a great app, please forgive me if my feedback sounded pretentious or unpolite in a way.
you know I admire not only the great piece of software you have forge, but also the mixture of science and art that you are dealing with. I played with some programming years ago, but I quit, that's why I respect your endeavour.
Last edited by eduardobedoya on Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:44 am, edited 8 times in total.
Verve Wishlist:
-LSH color pallete
-Brightness Knob

Site Admin

Post Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:04 am

Haha, then I would've said: "little more than 1k". Far less than 2k meant, I think it was 1680 or so, I don't remember exactly. Also, you're talking about professional concept design as reference. I'm sure, I've mentioned that before, but I didn't make Verve to compete with Adobe or even with ArtRage for that matter. I made Verve, because I noticed the potential of my fluid dynamics experiment, gave it out for free and keep developing it.

You're always welcome!

Post Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:39 pm

I'm using verve already a lot of time :bounce:
And some things still surprise me
Why exactly does this work?

I am getting lost

* canvas switch
* =mode