Maximum resolution

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:22 am

Maximum resolution

Hello! I've just discovered Verve and I'm amazed by the possibilities. However, I found a little bit confusing regards the image resolution. Is the Shit+F2 the only way to define it? And I noticed that seems to be a maximum resolution. Everything runs veeeeery smoothly, untill about 3000x2000. I couldn't find exaclty the maximum, but whe I tried to scale the image little by little, I find strange that the program slows a lot and suddenly, not little by little accompain ing the image enlargement. It would be a huge deal breaker for me if I can't make files of about 4000~5000 pixels, and I reaaaaaally wnat to use it! It's a fabulous program, really! :) Sorry for my bad English, I'm very rusty when writing -__-
AMD Radeon HD 7870 Series - Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz - 16GB RAM (2x DDR3 8GB 667MHz)

Site Admin

Post Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:53 am

Re: Maximum resolution

And here's my friendly reply, full of understanding and restraint: Verve is an OpenGL based painter, completely depending on your hardware for its performance! Maximum resolution is given by the power of your graphics card.
Check out this thread to find out more:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:23 pm

Thank you very much! And I'm sorry if I'm inconvenient... I've tried to use the search engine but coudn't do with the words "resolution", "size" and "image", said it was too common, so I decided to post. I'll make more tests and I'll post on the topic you referred! Thank you again, and and really amazed by your work!
AMD Radeon HD 7870 Series - Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz - 16GB RAM (2x DDR3 8GB 667MHz)

Site Admin

Post Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:38 pm

Why don't you start by putting your system specs in your Signature here!? Or at least tell me what graphics card you do have!

Post Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:06 pm

Welcome on board eduardoclark :beer:

You can find the Signature in User Control Panel / Profile / Edit Signature
System info: NVidia GTX1080, i7 6700, Win10
https://www.behance.net/pudjakjuzto2

Post Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:55 am

Re: Vid request

Is there any chance someone can please post a very short video using one of the newer nvidia cards like 1070 or 1080 with full fluids in action at increasing resolutions to demonstrate VErves response. I have tried various cards in stores and have found that there is not always a simple linear predictable correlation between the card spec and Verves functionality or scalability. For example my same card with double the Vram which I have in another laptop does not produce a larger functional canvas which I assumed would be the case? Its weird sometimes that my very very humble 650m seems to work better than much higher spec more recent cards. It would be very helpful and encouraging ( to purchase a 1070/80) if I could see verve swirling around confidently at 4,5 or 6000 ppi :) Ive resigned myself to working soft at low res for now ( max about 2500 wide) but I sure would love to crank it up a few notches and get into some delicate details for larger works.
Its pretty much the first thing folks want to know is....how large a file can I work on so I can print my art ? No one has yet posted a video on youtube as far as I know of simply working on a larger file with these powerful video cards or at least resolution is rarely mentioned?
:)

edit - whoops....I originally wrote 970 but I meant to say one of the new cards like a 1070 or 1080
Last edited by Stavros on Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Macbook Pro
2.6 intel core i7
8 gb ram
Nvidia 650m 1gb v ram
bootcamp windows 7 premium

Site Admin

Post Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:40 am

Well, the 970 is already an old hat and not nearly as powerful as the 1080, for example. But I'm happy with 970, because I never go beyond 4k, and usually just work in computer intended resolutions around 2k. I designed Verve to change the fluid resolution based on your image resolution to maintain speed. However, faster machines could get a different ratio, because they don't need to cut back so much. I should add parameters for that as well.

Post Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:16 pm

Re: fluid res vs canvas res?

Hey TAron
I have a question regarding this topic which Ive always wondered about......Some of the most beautiful dimensional brush strokes with depth appear at the default resolution when verve opens. But when you double the canvas size that same brush looks very different at same size relative to canvas....its is not as deep and full. What is the relationship of the fluid particles to the actual pixels on canvas.....are they bound together ( as in one and the same) or is the canvas a " rendering" of the fluids which has its own inherent resolution? I don't know know if Im asking that clearly. Anyway Im really curious about the nature of this beast?
I think you once answered a similar question by saying " of course it looks different because your spreading the same amount of paint/particles over a larger area" but thats a hard concept for me to get my head around in this digital space. I guess my point is that I would expect a brush to appear the same regardless of the canvas resolution but thats obviously based on my preconceptions based on other software experiences. :) Just curious
Macbook Pro
2.6 intel core i7
8 gb ram
Nvidia 650m 1gb v ram
bootcamp windows 7 premium

Site Admin

Post Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:45 pm

Well, there are a number of factors, or at least two of them, depending on the brush style you chose:
If you work in higher resolutions, the brush still acts exactly the same, except that increasing a brush size may confuse you, because you control the area in which bristles are active, but not necessarily the bristle size...
- Brush bristle amount (Brush #9)
- Brush bristle size (Brushes #2 through #5)

But absolutely the fluid grid, which does adjust depending on the image size! All these factors play a role and you kind of have to adjust to it. I can later on make the fluid section yet more complex by adding a manual grid dimension, too. I see no reason not to, except that some people call me out on another "deal breaker", if their card fails to run smoothly at 10 billion pixels in motion, you know, hahaha. :PP

Post Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:11 pm

River topic ... often discussed in the forum
He was here and there
http://www.taron.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2476

8k on nvidia1080
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h3EuJGxSjI
System info: NVidia GTX1080, i7 6700, Win10
https://www.behance.net/pudjakjuzto2