Suggestions

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:29 pm

Suggestions

Had a funny little thought today on the way to work.. fingerprinting with verve!
Would be so cool to have multi-touch capability on a tablet like I pads etc. Think of the joy it would be having the ability to take us back to those carefree days.. verve and it's fluid dynamics interacting with 10 fingers. Hehe..what fun :D
Gary

Site Admin

Post Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Suggestions

I'd really wish I could compile for the ipad with BlitzMax, but it's certainly something exciting to think about. Oddly enough, if this was running as well as I believe it could, multiple brushes wouldn't hurt processing time much at all. The fluids couldn't care less about how many different places get new information and would work just as fast as with one brush. I'm sure some very quick painting could be done that way, too. :)

Good thought by all means! ;)
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:08 am

Here you can go ahead and tell me your ideas. Doesn't have to be for Verve alone, haha, I mean, if Verve inspires you then don't hold back...

Post Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:24 pm

The main thing I noticed so far is how the right mouse button could have more uses. I suppose that came to be since you mainly use Verve with tablet. So I imagine the lack of tablet is what the RMB could try to compensate for.

So perhaps Ctrl + RMB for brush size, Shift + RMB for opacity. That would seem nice to me.. Then you can pick a color from canvas, set brush size and opacity all in one movement-- while avoiding the Space bar. (In my experience intensive use of the outer corners of the Space bar it will eventually mess it up.)
I also noticed how i kept intuitively trying to use the RMB as eraser.

And less workflow related: maybe a process bar or busy indicator while saving. Hehe, suppose that's not a high priority thing, but it would reduce at least some anxiety. :-P

For the forum maybe we could make a Bob Ross 3.0 competition. Hehe, and commercially, maybe you can jump the latte art bandwagon. With microtransactions to buy more control Z points, lol.

Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:13 pm

tama wrote:For the forum maybe we could make a Bob Ross 3.0 competition. Hehe, and commercially, maybe you can jump the latte art bandwagon. With microtransactions to buy more control Z points, lol.

You know, I always wanted to create a "Bob Ross painter", hehe, and Verve is stunningly close to being exactly that! :lol:
So, yeah, that would be an awesome little challenge thread! 8-)

What on earth is the last part, though?! latte art? control Z points? LOL...is that a hint at making more undos? :oops: I'm scared...

As for RMB, well, I can imagine that a totally customizable control scheme could be appealing. I may go for that eventually, too. In the meantime you may consider getting a better keyboard, hahaha... what? Oh, oooh, ooooooh, it's because of the mouse thing, right...yeah, the better investment would most certainly be a small tablet or even a decent one. You obviously have artistic sense and it would really help you to nurture that! Honestly, this is not me being silly, I mean it.

I am still thinking about having potential context menus tied to the RMB. Not sure, yet. Currently I'm only using it for alternative color picking and grid editing, while it is quite essential for that already. The present [shift] and [ctrl] solution is kind of essential to the power of Verve, but at the end this should really be customizable, you're perfectly right there.

Yep, progress bar is planned! It's not all that trivial, actually, because a large part of the time consumption during saving is in the compression part and I have little control over that, just yet. I keep exploring, though, because this is kind of a "must", really.

All in all: Good Suggestions! Keep'em coming! Don't think I'm shutting them down at all, just because I add some attempted explanations every now and then, though. Every new software needs a moment to sink in, but if enough people really feel baffled by something, that would be a certain indicator that something's utterly off. I promise, nay, VOW that I will not be like Ofer with Zbrush, hahaha! ;)

OH...Latte Art, WOW, I got it now...that is amazing, actually! People are just amazing! :lol:

Post Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:19 pm

Taron wrote: So, yeah, that would be an awesome little challenge thread! 8-)

Hmm, I imagine I could only make a absurd satire, if anything. :P

What on earth is the last part, though?! latte art? control Z points? LOL...is that a hint at making more undos? :oops: I'm scared...

Oh, I don't mind the lack of undos since it somewhat forces me to deal with things as they come. But I suppose there would be a expectation of it by today's standards. And of course people would feel more free to experiment, take some detours, without having to back things up manually.

As for RMB, well, I can imagine that a totally customizable control scheme could be appealing. I may go for that eventually, too.

Aha, cool.
In the meantime you may consider getting a better keyboard, hahaha... what? Oh, oooh, ooooooh, it's because of the mouse thing, right...yeah, the better investment would most certainly be a small tablet or even a decent one. You obviously have artistic sense and it would really help you to nurture that! Honestly, this is not me being silly, I mean it.

Oh, ooooh, so now you are implying I am biased towards utilizing right mouse buttons for workflow boosts because I had anecdotal crappy space bars? Are you sure you want to do that? :D Hmm, now even telling you I already made those investments you talk about would sound like I am am defending your point? :evil: But yeah, avoiding the space bar seems completely ergonomically and economically reasonable to me. Not in the least since I get lazy and my fingers are already on those other buttons.

Yep, progress bar is planned! It's not all that trivial, actually, because a large part of the time consumption during saving is in the compression part and I have little control over that, just yet. I keep exploring, though, because this is kind of a "must", really.

Ah, cool.

All in all: Good Suggestions! Keep'em coming! Don't think I'm shutting them down at all, just because I add some attempted explanations every now and then, though. Every new software needs a moment to sink in, but if enough people really feel baffled by something, that would be a certain indicator that something's utterly off. I promise, nay, VOW that I will not be like Ofer with Zbrush, hahaha! ;)

Right, yes. I will have to play with it a lot more and see what I can come up with. Perhaps even rearrange my desk to use keyboard and tablet at the same time... it's a mess. :D

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:41 am

Patent now! :)

Hi Taron,

First let me say this looks amazing. Second, this is exactly the type of tool that traditional painters have been looking for to make a transition to digital production. So if you have not, I would highly suggest you patent the process as quickly as possible, especially in the US, so the work isn't stomped out by the bigger software companies. This reminds me of how zbrush has revolutionized the 3d content production in the game and movie industries with an intuitive way to model in 3d - I think Verve can do the same for concept art, illustration and "traditional" painting.

I would like to work with you on the R&D development side and/or field testing it for projects in a University classroom.

Best regards,
Jonathan

www.jonathanpeedin.com

Site Admin

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:42 am

Hey thanks, Jonathan! Never mind the patent stuff and all that, it scares the life out of me to get pulled into this frenzy...I will live and I will die and if someone in the meantime makes my ideas grow beyond that, so be it. I'm just happy I have this officially released as freeware already, so somebody else would have to get into trouble, trying to patent it.
I really hope so very much it works on your computer.

I'd be thrilled to see it in university classrooms, but it still has quite some ways to grow, you know. I'm on it, though! ;)

Anyway, Thank you so very much, Jonathan, I really appreciate your concern and advice! And if something makes me jump, it would be seeing you make some experiments with it! Don't hesitate to contact me via email, if you wish!

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:21 pm

Gravity ?
/with options for direction (live tilting canvas with lock) & force

Site Admin

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:50 pm

Yes, it is planned! And it'll be good fun, too! ;)
Thanks, though! I should start some polls to see what you all care most about, hehe, and something tells me; Gravity might be it! :D
Next

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]