Suggestions

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Site Admin

Post Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:37 am

Re: Suggestions

Thanks, Zero, good things to consider for future expansions of customization! Presently I wouldn't impose such a connection, because it could complicate things more by default. My plan was to allow fully customized brush settings, where you would define all kinds of properties for a brush, including blend mode. But I will think about it for sure! :ob
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:57 pm

Heyo! :)

I have a suggestion. It'd be great if we could have folders for layers, so that we can organise them. Possibly also being able to name the layers too? (I find it hard to tell what's on the thumbnails sometimes!) c:!

Site Admin

Post Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:43 pm

Uh, nice idea, Celeste, but this scares me a little, because I would rather suggest to rethink working habits a tiny little bit for Verve. Yes, yes, of course, I have layers, but you should really get a feel for what those layers mean to Verve. It is a little different in spirit than in other, "traditional" digital painters like Photoshop or Painter, you know. Verve acts possibly a little strange there. Thus, think of Verve a bit more like a real canvas. As I said, layers do work and I love using them for additive and multiply, also for my favorite workflow with them:
- making a pencil or ink like sketch in one layer.
- adding a layer under it to create coloring behind the sketch.
- adding a layer on top of all to add highlights (either additive or simply with brighter colors, depending on what feels best at the time).

I'm squinting my eyes in concern, but when one would use layers to isolate complete elements, it's a little scary, I find, because it won't give you the interaction with the existing color of the canvas, which is part of the beauty of Verve, you know. It also may or may not act undesirably with edges, depending on how you approach it.

So, just a little caring warning. But, YES, naming layers and far more layer features are a very good call! :ob

Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:13 am

I understand your concerns, and what I really love about Verve is how different it is to other programs like Photoshop! I've been searching for years for a traditional like program, and am so glad I found yours! :bow: :ob

I do use a workflow like that actually, but you see, sometimes I like to have multiple sketches that I can flip through, or multiple colour schemes that I can switch on or off, just to test what works best for the piece I'm working on, which is why I suggested the folders.
But, I actually just thought of something that would be even better and wouldn't isolate the layers like folders would. What about being able to colour code layers? For example, holding down a key and clicking on a layer tab could cycle through a few colours for that particular layer tab? I'm hoping that wouldn't be too odd for Verve?

Site Admin

Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:00 am

UH! :shock: Now THAT is a beautiful suggestion! :bounce:
Thank you, Celeste, that's a fantastic idea. I absolutely did not think of that, yet, it's so simple. Brilliant! :beer: (Really need to add a hugging smiley, danged!) :)
I could make that even more simple by just allowing to [Ctrl]+mouse click on the layer blade to drop your currently chosen color onto it!!! It's BRILLIANT!

Ok, go to download and get the new version, inspired by you! SO FUN! :D

Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:14 am

:bounce: I'm so happy you like the idea! I downloaded the new version immediately, and it's amazing! :beer:

I'm actually so surprised at how fast you did that! :o This feature is more than helpful, so thanks so much for adding it in, and love how you made it so we can use whatever colour we like! :rock:

I'm really loving Verve, I've got to say! It was like love at first sight when I first found it. I'm hoping to become an expert at using it :D c:!

Thanks again, Taron! I hope to help with any other ideas I come up with! :beer:

Site Admin

Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:23 am

Haha, yeah, this was really a stroke of genius on your end and it just kinda rubbed off on me! :) :lol: :ob
The super happy/lucky coincidence was, that I've always had a layer color, but never used it. I did it in the beginning as part of what I thought could become a simple tinting feature, but it never made really sense.... UNTIL NOW! :bounce:
So, yeah, what a perfect opportunity to pretend I was a magician, haha... 8-) ...but the whole situation was just magical.

BIG HUG and I hope, you will forgive me, if it won't always be THAT fast, hehe! ;)

Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:29 am

Well I'm so glad it all worked out like this! Haha, I really thought you were for a second! c:! <- pretend that's your magic wand!

Big hugs right back! Absolutely understand that features take a long time to put it! (after all, you need to let your magic wand recharge first! :lol: ) :ob

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:46 am

nice touch!
:)
s
Macbook Pro
2.6 intel core i7
8 gb ram
Nvidia 650m 1gb v ram
bootcamp windows 7 premium

Post Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:36 pm

Again a suggestion for "N" - what about For Loop / key loop for this key - 0 the same behaviour like now - but greater if 0 means a Foor Loop for hiting the N key automatic. e.g. 1 => very fast, 10 => 10 Millisecond, 50 => 50 Millisecond, 100 => one Second - maybe a dial between 1 to 1000, 1000 => 10 Second :beer: ?! if someone dont want abrupt color change Maybe also a gradiant-dial beetween the color change. 0 => very abrupt and sharp, 100 very smooth e.g.

In deutsch: automatischer Farbwechsel, ohne die Taste N zu drücken - ein zweites Rädchen für die Gradienteinstellung :D

Und noch eine 3 Option - Farbwechsel wie in der Farbpalette angeordnet oder zufälliger Farbwechsel.
my system: intel7 - 2600k, gtx 970, dualboot windows 7 64 bit / ubuntu 14.04 lts
my deviantartpage: http://zeropainter.deviantart.com/gallery
my youtube channel: zeropainter - ok, there are only 2-3 very short videos
PreviousNext

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]