Print verve art - technique, services

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:28 am

Print verve art - technique, services

Before we spoil single threads with those questions, it would be nice to collect your experiences and tips here.

I used a service to print on canvas so far.
Brilliance is ok. Verbe canvas on real canvas a bit confusing.
Quality is good, but I think brlliance could be enhanced. Price is a matter of time, as there are special offers time by time where 120cm x 30cm is 20€ i.e.

At home, I have an HP 8600 with expensive original ink printing on HP professional Paper 180.
The quality is very nice in this combo.
Lifetime seems to be very good.

What about you??
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram

Post Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:07 am

Re: Print verve art - technique, services

I have an epson 9800 44" wide printer that I picked up cheap on Kijiji years ago.
The paper prints ( epson enhanced matte) have a beautiful velvety feel to them and everything looks gorgeous...but ya can't just hang paper ( can you ? lol)
Ive struggled to find a way to present the prints that retains the velvety surface but they are too vulnerable and need to be mounted and protected.
The canvas prints ( epson exhibition matte) are also beautiful...especially large ones ( 36x60) but I find the nature of canvas itself somewhat problematic.
Canvas is too associated with traditional painting and it kind of feels like a " fake painting" ...like its trying to pretend to be a real painting.
The metal prints on the other hand have a life of their own. They become an object in and of themselves which go beyond just being a "print"

I did both a metal print and face mount acrylic. They are both pretty slick. I actually love the matte velvety paper surface but high chroma and contrast images look amazing on metal.

I find the metal more visceral and immediate than the plexi....like looking at an enamel surface. Its so smooth it almost looks like a pool of water.
The metal prints Im using are actually printed on a transfer paper with dye sublimation inks and then transferred to a thin sheet of aluminum ( not di bond) using a heat press.
Nice video in the link below...the surface can be high gloss or a satin white finish ( or the aluminum surface itself but that only works for certain kind of images)

The acrylic is more expensive and heavier because there is more process and materials. It is printed on metallic paper ( optional) which gives it a surreal kind of 3d appearance then face mounted to a sheet of plexi. Di bond or a cheaper material is used as a backer. The edge is quite nice in profile...but It feels more like looking at a photo through glass to me...I think I prefer the metal.

Metal process
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMKOb4GOJ1A

Metal vs Acrylic face mount
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2-V1SwAl50

probably TMI but thats what Ive been figuring out lately...hope its helpful...:)
Macbook Pro
2.6 intel core i7
8 gb ram
Nvidia 650m 1gb v ram
bootcamp windows 7 premium

Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:24 pm

Stavros!
I really want to thank you for that Chromalux or Chromaluxe tip.
Really awesome result and a fantastic "ready to hang" solution.

I printed one of my "real" works done on ipad in 30cmx30cm.

Wow very nice result and incredible color depth and it comes with an alloy frame on back and hangers.
It was a sensation as a birthday present.
Costs 35€ including shipping from a German service.
https://druck-auf-metall.de/
But it seems to be made in the Netherlands due to delivery receipt.

Okay bigger formats gets a bit pricey, but it's an all in one solution and in no ways comparable with the much cheaper (if one waits for offers) but also much less spectacular prints on canvas.

Gonna be my #1 choice for first class prints - well I am not that much experienced in printing anyway, but I guess my search has ended ;)
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram

Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:29 pm

I came across another printing option that looks very interesting. It is printed on Fujicolor Crystal Archive Paper which alone gives a very interesting effect as it is lit from the light in the room. I have seen photos printed on this paper and was blown away. Then they fix the print under upto 1 inch of clear plexiglass. It has a jewel like effect.Here is a link to a video showing what they look like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln4grKV1YEc

Site Admin

Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:39 pm

Definitely kind of neat! Could make some fantastic, decorative effects!
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:34 pm

Knacki wrote:Stavros!
I really want to thank you for that Chromalux or Chromaluxe tip.
Really awesome result and a fantastic "ready to hang" solution.

I printed one of my "real" works done on ipad in 30cmx30cm.

You mentioned the file resolution for this print at 3500dpi. I would love to work larger than 3500 but Verve crashes with the windows exception comming up. Taron has stated that there are no size limitations in the software itself. I am wondering what aspect of hardware would allow scaling up. I would love to work double 3500. I notice you have a massive amount of RAM on your system does more RAM help? Is the amount of video ram and the power itself of the video card the main factor or the power of the CPU, or a combo of all. I am not technically oriented so I am puzzled. It would be great to know what exactly would allow scaling up.

Site Admin

Post Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:41 pm

3500 is the resolution of pixels, not the dpi (density per inch), but there is currently a limitation in Verve due to the 32bit nature of it. As long as I can't go 64bit with it, there will be a memory limit for file operations (creating memory banks that exceed the 32bit limit). Other than that, in terms of openGL, it's really up to the graphics card. That's why it's currently possible to 'work' inside of Verve with larger resolutions, but the moment you try save or load the result, trouble is looming. I'll try to work out a solution for that, though.

Post Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:49 pm

Taron wrote:Definitely kind of neat! Could make some fantastic, decorative effects!

I saw another video from this company where a photographer sandwiched a image between 3X 1 inch plexiglass. It is wide enough to stand as a free form sculpture. What is interesting to me is you can see the image from both sides. It would also catch the ambient light better. If you exported a image with a alpha channel from Verve and made one of these, the forms or image would have a transparent background so would appear to float if they were shapes or if it was a figurative image it would have a 3D like sculptural quality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoOyFS3Gph4
Last edited by RobinRoy on Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:53 pm

Taron wrote:3500 is the resolution of pixels, not the dpi (density per inch), but there is currently a limitation in Verve due to the 32bit nature of it. As long as I can't go 64bit with it, there will be a memory limit for file operations (creating memory banks that exceed the 32bit limit). Other than that, in terms of openGL, it's really up to the graphics card. That's why it's currently possible to 'work' inside of Verve with larger resolutions, but the moment you try save or load the result, trouble is looming. I'll try to work out a solution for that, though.

Taren what do you think is the current maximum resolution of pixels within the 32bit structure.

Site Admin

Post Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:09 pm

That's a really tricky one that puzzled me, too. Since it gets compressed, the resolution my vary. With 3k by 3k you are flirting with the limit right now. It's best to keep it under 9million pixels (area), so to say. But as a reminder, Verve in its current state and nature is mainly for "computer art", really, and not so much for creating giant print layouts. I've had fantastic experiences with printing on canvas around 40inch diagonal with a resolution of 2600 pixel width. It looks flawless with not a hint of a pixel to be seen. Thus for most common printed artworks it offers sufficiently high resolution, I find. And it makes me super happy, whenever somebody prints something, too, hehe. Stavros and Pud did some awesome stuff already. Incredible prints with incredible art! c:!

So, yeah, I wouldn't get to wound up over highest resolutions. But any reports regarding printing, as I already hinted at, make me very happy! :hyper:
Next

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]