Suggestions

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:29 am

Re: Suggestions

@ zero
Thanks for the links!
Well I am actually trying a workaround with MaCrea. But this is a cool tool for sure.

@taron
Thank you very much for your explanations, taron.
It looks like we have some character parallels and I clearly see your point.
Concerning my work, I am almost same. Makes it not easy to share and delegate work as well :roll:

I started this morning making this for you:

(Hahaha, completely forgot how complicate this pixelart can be.
I wasn't able to make a one pixel stroke in verve, same in PS. After some tutorials I was successful in PS with the pencil tool - and No - this is not a suggestion! I needed a 1 px brush in verve first time ever :D But if it's possible, it never can harm to know how? )

Maybe we should start an "inspiration for painting tools" to keep all these "ideas & visions" away from concrete suggestions regarding verve.

About history: I think it's a brilliant idea not to add already existing colors, as the color history can look quite stupid after working with two colors for a while :D
I have no idea about statistics - me personally I would say that there is no need, but maybe I just didn't get the whole thing?
Attachments
Friends_ani.gif
Friends_ani.gif (1.35 KiB) Viewed 7374 times

Post Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:28 pm

Taron, I came across Verve a few months ago but have been up and running with it for the past few days as I have upgraded my graphics card and installed windows. I am a big fan of experimental software and this is truly a work of art in and of itself. I am still learning this wonderful medium and it's wide range of variables. I love the idea of the fractal noise brush, however, my tablet does not support tilt, so when I turn it off in the program, the fractal brush will follow the direction of the stroke. This tends to create lots of sharp lines when changing direction rapidly (which creates an interesting abstract effect in its own respect). However, I was wondering, is there possibly a way to reduce or control this "artifact"? Forgive me if this has been covered before as I am new to the forum and Verve itself. Either way, I just want to say that your work is amazing and truly appreciated
System: 2.8 GHz Q. Core Xeon E5462 x2 / EVGA GeForce GTX 770 / Windows 7 / 6GB Ram

Site Admin

Post Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:59 pm

Oh, Clay (you may be stuck with that name. Let me know, if you wish me to call you by another! ;) ), I'm thrilled you made the upgrade and get to join in here! :beer:
Yeah, you can fix the brush angle, for example, toggle with [a] and rotate it to your liking while holding [shift]+[a] to adjust it!
The artifact of those edges is very difficult to tackle and I keep thinking about ways to deal with it, but those are some very tricky things indeed. Currently it is logical, letting it do what it would do. There may be a way to reduce it by withholding the drawing for a while and computing a different ribbon geometry, but it then may again do something other than one might expect, making it really complicated. However, I still want to think about it and might find a novel solution later on?! :shrug: ...I'd love to! :ugeek:

Anyway, I hope the [a] tip helps already a bit and, again, WELCOME TO THE FORUM (in action!)! :beer: ...can't wait to see your first doodle! c:!
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:30 pm

Fantastic! "Shift + A" will work until I can afford a tablet with tilt. Thanks for the solution!
System: 2.8 GHz Q. Core Xeon E5462 x2 / EVGA GeForce GTX 770 / Windows 7 / 6GB Ram

Post Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:32 pm

I believe I saw you mentioned plans to make this happen at some point, but when in tiled and tiled mirror mode I would love to be able to paint anywhere on the mirrors, not just the canvas (which can easily get lost along the way while I'm exploring all the wonderful patterns). I'm not sure how this could be achieved, but it would be a truly liberating workflow

Site Admin

Post Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:45 pm

Yeah, hahaha, I'd love that, too. I had some trouble with it, because GL didn't quite support it the way I expected it and the combination out of how I designed the brush routines with that extra challenge made me hesitate. I'll still have to figure it out, but eventually it will come!
Some stuff seems so easy, but it really isn't. By itself, like mirroring or repeating a mouse position, pfff, ridiculously easy, but spreading and cutting a set of brush images with individual awareness of where they should go on a canvas, when they're not on it and all that... yeah, sounds probably easy, but no. It's nasty! I'm sure, once I'll have done it, I'll laugh about it, but for now... :shrug: :oops:
Thanks for the reminder, though! :tantrum: :hihi: ...nono, really! :ob

Post Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:19 pm

Ahhhh, I see the issue... that's a tough one! I appreciate the explanation as I have zero understanding of how Verve operates under the hood. Hopefully one day an elegant solution will emerge :idea:

Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:20 pm

Hey Taron, what about to add a context menu for the load button? I mean to show a file history with for example last 10 files for each main extension on the right click (brush images, verve settings, verve projects, color swatches). All items can be shown in one list separated with a name (Brushes | ... Settings | ... Swatches | ... Projects | .... ) or in a tree. What do you think about that? The history can be stored for example in the system registry under HKCU\Software\Verve key..?

Site Admin

Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:36 pm

You know, I have to find out how to alter the registry and what it takes to get that permission?! :shrug: ...no clue, yet.
But I do really like the idea!
Alternatively I could add a settings or data file, which could store such information, I imagine?!
So much stuff I still need to learn about the OS and these matters, it's quite shameful. :oops: :PP
Good idea, though! :ob

Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:52 pm

Maybe using a text file is even better idea because we can then alter its content in a text editor. Great! In any case I can send you a snippet of code regarding registry tomorrow. In c++ with win api and in c# with .net. unfortunately i cannot today, i am only with mobile phone now :-)
PreviousNext

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]