Can someone help me with "mixing" colors?

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:21 am

Can someone help me with "mixing" colors?

Hey

I really love this technique https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QapONEamQg
And no matter how I try with Verve it doesnt want to "mix" colors in the way the natural oil paint mix. Maybe the software is not meant to do that or maybe I just I dont know...
Can someone help me?

My instagram: danboss

"So long as the sky and the world exist, my existence will be here for the eradication of the miseries of all beings."

Site Admin

Post Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:56 am

Re: Can someone help me with "mixing" colors?

AH, yes, the approach is a little different on a digital platform, of course. To totally simulate the pigment behavior, you'd have to dedicate a much greater deal of computation for something you really can just dial up with numbers, so to say, plus that you should keep in mind, you never run out of that color. You can, however, still do aspects of this mixing in Verve, if you put your approximated base color down and then put the adjusting colors next to it and smudge them together, holding down [Shift] to smudge. You would then pick out of the smudged blob the color you wish to get and likely assemble a set of color swatches [Shift]+[c] and then hold [ctrl] and click where you wish to drop your new color swatch or change an existing one.
To get a softer smudge, you adjust the Fluid Smudge parameter or hold down [Shift]+[f] to bring up the little widget dial for it. Also, you may want to turn off pressure [w] (toggle) for size and on for opacity [e] (toggle).

However, depending on how you like to approach your painting, traditional methods ask of you to already have fairly accurate colors mixed before you paint, but on the computer you can really work directly into your painting with less worries. For example, if you want a cheek to be more rosy, you can literally grab a red at the right brightness, put a dot of it on the cheeks and carefully smudge that into it. Something you could naturally do in traditional media, too, but here you can then pick any of the smudged area's colors to continue painting with it. Turning your painting itself into a kind of pallet. That's something you could never dream of in traditional media, of course.
mixing.jpg
mixing.jpg (119.98 KiB) Viewed 14756 times

I hope, this could get you some inspiration on some approaches?! c:! ;)
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Site Admin

Post Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:14 am

Huh, haha, sorry for double posting, but I'm just now watching the video and she happens to paint an eye, too, hahaha.... :shrug: :oops: ...very beautiful. My little doodle up there is careless and not based on reference, so it's not Verve's weakness you see up there, but mine. :oops: ...also, I didn't quite go for her method, which is really nice and well reproducible with Verve as well! c:! MOST FASCINATING about it is, that BOTH eyes look to the right (of the screen). That's particularly strange, because I don't normally do that. :shrug: :? :D

Post Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:40 pm

Thanks for that precise answer Taron! I love what you painted. I think it would be a good practice to just play with the software and so be more used to it... practice makes perfect I guess.

"So long as the sky and the world exist, my existence will be here for the eradication of the miseries of all beings."

Site Admin

Post Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:14 pm

Absolutely, practice will show you gradually all the different ways you may approach things with Verve. Its organic nature really offers a different experience and different possibilities than common painters, even ArtRage. But what it has in common with the latter, is that it matters in both environments a great deal, at what pace or mood you approach the process! Similar to AR, when you calmly approach it with small, precise motions and deliberation, you gain a kind of control that eventually makes you paint faster and faster exactly what you want to paint. Working fast from the start will get you into a totally different spirit. From experience, though, I can tell you that Verve offers kind of a more gratifying experience when working with "rage" ( c:! ) than AR, because you can kind of rely on what Verve is doing and it will actually extend what you do, while AR sort of...hm...just gets stuck on your rage, hahaha ( :tantrum: ).

Post Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:22 pm

Yes I have ArtRage and all others lol... But when I saw Verve it was like a love at first sight. I have to leave others programs and dedicate myself on one only.
As Bruce Lee said "I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." Better to know one program very well and make good work than practice on all the programs and get lost

Post Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:53 pm

Taron wrote:AH, yes, the approach is a little different on a digital platform, of course. To totally simulate the pigment behavior, you'd have to dedicate a much greater deal of computation for something you really can just dial up with numbers, so to say, plus that you should keep in mind, you never run out of that color. You can, however, still do aspects of this mixing in Verve, if you put your approximated base color down and then put the adjusting colors next to it and smudge them together, holding down [Shift] to smudge. You would then pick out of the smudged blob the color you wish to get and likely assemble a set of color swatches [Shift]+[c] and then hold [ctrl] and click where you wish to drop your new color swatch or change an existing one.
To get a softer smudge, you adjust the Fluid Smudge parameter or hold down [Shift]+[f] to bring up the little widget dial for it. Also, you may want to turn off pressure [w] (toggle) for size and on for opacity [e] (toggle).

However, depending on how you like to approach your painting, traditional methods ask of you to already have fairly accurate colors mixed before you paint, but on the computer you can really work directly into your painting with less worries. For example, if you want a cheek to be more rosy, you can literally grab a red at the right brightness, put a dot of it on the cheeks and carefully smudge that into it. Something you could naturally do in traditional media, too, but here you can then pick any of the smudged area's colors to continue painting with it. Turning your painting itself into a kind of pallet. That's something you could never dream of in traditional media, of course.
mixing.jpg

I hope, this could get you some inspiration on some approaches?! c:! ;)

Hi! I'm back again.
Is there a video where I can see this kind of technique with Verve?
On youtube I see many landscape paintings etc... I would like to see a detailed work with Verve, for example an eye painting like on the picture above or a portrait. Just to see the thing in action.
Thanks.

Site Admin

Post Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:27 pm

All my videos on youtube are very old by now and don't quite showcase all the current features. I should make some new ones for sure! Good call, Dan! :ob
I will let you know, once I'll have posted something new.

Post Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:21 pm

c:! :beer: :ob
Is beautiful that please without concept!
http://moiscript.weebly.com/ https://schmoll8.wixsite.com/magicavox
Latop: Geforce GTX 950M, Intel Quad Core i7, Windows 10, 8 Gigas, 2.4ghz

Post Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:45 pm

Something will be prepared! :bounce: :hyper: :shock:
System info: NVidia GTX1080, i7 6700, Win10
https://www.behance.net/pudjakjuzto2

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]