Suggestions

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:05 am

Re: Suggestions

I just entered to suggest gravity but I see plankton beat me to it. It would be absolutely amazing for all the "paint/blood on the wall" things. Just to confirm that indeed - gravity might be it ;)

Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:16 pm

Argh, yes.... yaha... I'm having an idea to deal with it, but it'll be a bit of experimenting, of course. :)
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:06 am

hotkey for toggling DRYING (I use it a lot)

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:14 am

Done! Download the version again! ;)
[d] now toggles drying
[Shift]+[d] toggles dither

Good call, I do like using it, too. But it's dangerous, too, because it can smudge the whole image and you blur away details!

Post Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:15 am

Wonderful -- yes I've been having great fun with toggling drying.

I've been using the Q Mask to protect areas when Drying is off.

Actually, would it be possible to make the Q Mask protect areas from the DELETE/CLEAR operation?

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:45 am

Ah, I still have to do a proper mask. I'll see what I can do there, should be quick...

Post Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:38 pm

So last night, I gave Verve a good and thorough run-down, and I woke up with some ideas.

It's very tricky to control just how much fluidity there is going on -- For me, it was sort of all-or-nothing because I felt that many sliders affected parameters that had non-linear effect. For instance, the difference between Fluidity 0-10% is extremely subtle. The difference between 90%-100% is just extreme! Perhaps the slider effect could be reweighted to compensate for this.

The quick mask is a very good start, though I think I'd like something like a lasso so I can cut up stencils rapidly.

stencil.jpg
stencil.jpg (16.26 KiB) Viewed 12116 times

I noticed that there's a degree of canvas "wetness" -- something that is present in the voxel map. When you're pushing runny paint around, the fluids course easily through the areas where there is already paint, and it meets resistance wherever the paint hits a dry spot (and has to wet it, almost like it's a surface tension effect).

Perhaps we could spray paint thinners(like clear paint with no pigment) on a canvas to melt solid paint and you can set the room temperature/aridity to affect the volatility of the paint thinner(drying rate). It could dry in minutes, in seconds, in a split second, etc.
Then you could specify canvas tilt to cause the paint to run in a direction, or you could have a spray bottle which uses the pen azimuth/tilt which can direct the jet of thinners in a direction. Maybe gravity is always "down" but you can pan the canvas to fling the wet paint in a direction or rotate the canvas while the paint is still running to make curves.

paintThinner.jpg
paintThinner.jpg (15.48 KiB) Viewed 12116 times

Also, you could specify the shape of the spray jet via an editable distribution curve. Sort of like this.

particleCurves.jpg
particleCurves.jpg (31.02 KiB) Viewed 12116 times

Post Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:50 pm

Maybe we can use brush tilt + azimuth with an "empty airbrush" to blast existing paint around.

Or maybe you get a universal airbrush tool that you fill with whatever you want. Some main parameters might be:

thinner:pigment ratio
Air pressure + Random Sputter
Canvas Distance
Attachments
blast.jpg
blast.jpg (18.42 KiB) Viewed 12115 times

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:21 pm

Hahahaha, that's so funny! You've listed three major things I had planned from the start and will still try to hook up.
1. proper masking (certainly includes lasso, but also all standards like rectangular and elliptical)
2. drying rate controlled
3. blowing fluids around

I love the idea of the wet spray, though, hehe, that's cool! I figured that the brush types could do that trick already, though.

Since last night I've hooked up a whole lot of things now which you should check out, for sure! I bet you're gonna like it. :)

I'm currently developing another brush, which is something very different. It's a noise brush. The temporary version turns out beautifully like charcoal, pffff, not my intention, but hey... why not keep it. Not sure, yet, though.

Anyway, download the current version again. I still haven't changed the version number...hmm...next round I will!

OH, but the non-linearity is there for a reason. You would be shocked to find out what linear does, haha. It's even more extreme, you know. So I'll have a closer look at it again, but it's a juggle.

AH, (one more edit), And THANK YOU, man, you're fantastic and I totally draw from your energy! Thank you!

Post Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:39 pm

Taron wrote:I love the idea of the wet spray, though, hehe, that's cool! I figured that the brush types could do that trick already, though.

The spray is more like an aerosol simulation that would take place in a virtual space above the canvas. This means that you'd be simulating streams of paint travelling through the air, experiencing aerodynamic effects BEFORE they hit the canvas.

Syrup-like consistency paint would extend into strings, good for gooey/gory blood spatter, or maybe if you wanted to emulate Jackson Pollock.

Specifying large droplet size and extremely high surface tension could simulate paintballs from a paintgun, or balloons filled with paint.

Low air pressure would result in large drops in stochastic bursts.

Taron wrote:Since last night I've hooked up a whole lot of things now which you should check out, for sure! I bet you're gonna like it. :)

I'm currently developing another brush, which is something very different. It's a noise brush. The temporary version turns out beautifully like charcoal, pffff, not my intention, but hey... why not keep it. Not sure, yet, though.

Anyway, download the current version again. I still haven't changed the version number...hmm...next round I will!

Okay, I'll give it a whirl and let ya know.

Taron wrote:OH, but the non-linearity is there for a reason. You would be shocked to find out what linear does, haha. It's even more extreme, you know. So I'll have a closer look at it again, but it's a juggle.

Fair enough! I often find that most of the values I use for fluidity are either 0%, or between 97%-100%, but then again that may be because I tend to use brushes that are either extremely large or extremely small. This is because I'm either trying to be extremely precise or I'm trying to add a degree of perturbation to the paint to get some texture.

I have a pretty good grasp of getting laminar fluid flow effects for smoke/fire, though. Verve greatly facilitates that.

Taron wrote:
AH, (one more edit), And THANK YOU, man, you're fantastic and I totally draw from your energy! Thank you!

No problem - I love it when software developers are highly responsive.
PreviousNext

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]