Sketch #000014 - "Eyes"

Find a little moment each day to make a sketch! It doesn't have to take long, but if you have the time, don't worry to take it! :D

Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:00 am

Re: Sketch #000014 - "Eyes"

:shock: ...I really want to know your art background, Mary, because this is yet another one that shows some great strengths of yours! Wonderful idea and wonderful execution! c:! :ob
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:45 pm

Awww, shucks. Thanks! I'm not really sure what to say for my "art background" as I don't really... have one. :shrug: I used to draw when I was a little LITTLE kid, but then I stopped for a very long time. About a year ago I started doing some doodling, and it wasn't until a few weeks ago that I really started focusing on it. I've now done a few irl watercolors, some sketches, etc. and of course playing with Verve! Last year I did a few sessions of gesture drawing but... I think I need to actually figure out how to DO IT CORRECTLY before jumping right in with a "YEAHyeah I get it, whatever, just let me do it" attitude. lol.

I want to actually study how to draw and paint. My husband has a few books that he wants me to go through for drawing, so I'm sure it'll help. (He only dabbles in drawing, but he studies before trying) ... He's also always after me to use references. Somewhere along the line I picked up this notion that you're "cheating" if you have to use references... or that you're somewhat lesser of an artist because you couldn't draw something from memory or just off the top of your head. But that's just not true, and I'm starting to learn that now. It still takes some doing to get over myself and those lingering thoughts, tho, and actually use references. But when I do, things come out SO much better.
Desktop: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti @4GB, Intel Core i7-7700K, 4.20GHz, 16 GB, Win 10
Latop: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M @4GB, Intel Core i7-4700HQ, 2.40 GHz, 16 GB, Win 10
Drawing tablet: Huion KAMVAS Pro 13 GT-133 Drawing Monitor w/Tilt Function

Post Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:04 am

This eye is fantastic.
Picture references are as good as they are bad.
Best are real references you can walk around or a mirror.....note to myself, "you need a mirror again at you working place!"
You (me) easily get addicted to picture references for exactly same reason you said - it looks so much better. Later you (me) only search for references instead of explore your war through. That's to avoid.
But you started already with the only real weapon available, practise, practise, practise...
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram
Previous

Return to Sketch Topics