Taron, I'm still fighting with messiah's render

Philosophy, Politics, Humor, what ever should have its own place far, far away from galleries and feedback... here we can go for it almost shamelessly! :)

Forum rules
More than anywhere on this forum I'd ask you all to be courteous and respectful to each other, but don't hesitate to speak your mind! :geek:
Please, do not advertise commercial software here!

mew

Post Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:22 pm

Taron, I'm still fighting with messiah's render

Hi, Taron

I know, this is not a messiah forum. Hopefully something good from here.

I grabbed your famous Neckling Changing scene file from https://forums.cgsociety.org/t/blending-multi-displacement-maps/1156849/6 for learning messiah render. The BasicShader still awesome :ob But I like soft shadow, that's why I want to using Translucency in standard shader. Here is what I got by now:
translucency.jpg
render time: 48s
translucency.jpg (107.5 KiB) Viewed 3137 times

and its setting
translucency_setting.jpg
try to match basicshader render
translucency_setting.jpg (82.17 KiB) Viewed 3137 times

I'm trying to match basicshader render
basicshader.jpg
render time: 21s
the Radiosity Tint gradient was disabled for better comparing
basicshader.jpg (100.6 KiB) Viewed 3137 times

with setting
basicshader_setting.jpg
scene file setting
basicshader_setting.jpg (68.39 KiB) Viewed 3137 times

Obvious, matching fails, translucency render don't look good as basicshader and much slower 48s VS 21s. It's just me, Taron, please some words and screenshots to make it render awesome.

BTW, Taron, I have learned a lot from you, from the posts you had posted on cgsociety and zbrushcentral. Thanks a lot.
Last edited by mew on Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:33 pm

Re: Taron, I'm still fighting with messiah's render

Hi Mew,

that's so awesome, haha, such a blast from the past. But indeed it is the past, long gone times. I haven't even had Messiah working anymore for years. At some point for some reason my dongle either stopped working or whatever had happened. I tried to contact Fori about it, but he never even reacted to it and so it all just faded away. And that was great many years ago.
Ah, my BasicShader, yeah, it was such an essential tool for me back then. There are other things I had developed back then, which were just so powerful back in the day, but for some reason Fori never supported these things and I'd hate to speculate as to why. But among them was one of the probably most powerful solid volume rendering shaders, which I used to make a demon in Ghost Rider 2 appear from dust, sand and debris. It was so magical, because whatever I did, it never aliased or buzzed, even if you were moving the camera. And it was super fast, too. But well...
Yeah, messiah brings a bunch of rather sad memories back up, but also it had been part of my DNA, practically. I could manifest virtually anything I wanted with the entire focus on the art of it and that even involved the programming side, while nothing felt like a handicap (internally).
But enough of my bitching around, haha... yeah, nah, I'm sorry, I really can't help you with this stuff anymore. But I'm still happy you came over. I'm surprised someone is still using it. I shouldn't be, because I probably would've, too.

If I were to look at 3D again at all, I'd first look at Blender and then at UE5, I think. Nowadays I can't even stomach the idea of having to "wait for a render", lord almighty. :lol: :hihi: :uhuhuh:

Anyway, I hope you'll have some fun with painting, too, and will enjoy to stick around here for some 2D fun, too?! At any rate:

Welcome to the Forum! :beer:
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

mew

Post Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:58 pm

Oh, Taron, you render fast, and your reply even faster.
You don't using messiah anymore, that is a bad news, but it's understandable.
Yes, everyone using blender nowadays, but, its nodes just too complicated for me.
Anyway, thanks a lot for the beer.

Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:33 pm

Spend some time with Blender, honestly!
I haven't done that myself for years, but last time I did, it took me not too long to find my way around it. Nowadays are most certainly endless tutorials out there to get you started. A modular system is just wonderful and I love it. Just learn slowly step by step the very basics. Once you do, you'll have awesome power. It's the next best thing to programming the stuff yourself, in terms of freedom and possibilities.
I know for sure I would go to Blender. Just don't rush it! Not one doubt in my mind, you will not regret it!
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

mew

Post Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:15 am

Thanks for your advices, Taron.
Actually, I have using blender for a while. But for now, I'll stick with messiah for my rigging and animation part, it works for me most time.

I didn't try although, but I bookmarked this for a while, maybe it's useful for your messiah license issue.

The software licenses to the volume serial (volume ID) of the drive it is installed to. Recognizing that the web site & support may vanish and you may not be able to update the license with a future hard drive upgrade, your best bet is to install it to a USB portable drive. While the portable USB drive is still healthy, copy the serial number (volume ID) and store it with your Messiah program backups. When you need to move to a new portable USB drive, there are utilities that can assign the old serial number (volume ID) to the new drive.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... s/volumeid

(you could still update an internal hard drive's serial number but it might conflict with other software that relies on this unique identifier.)

For more details, looking here https://forums.newtek.com/threads/can-m ... st-1554378

Return to Off Topic