Frequently Asked Questions

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:40 am

Re: Frequently Asked Questions

Try to uncheck green button right from yellow size and blue opacity button. This will switch angle to mouse mode. :beer:
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:31 pm

Thank you! That was exactly what I was looking for!
instagram \\ tumblr for abstracts

[AMD Radeon HD 7600M, Core i5-3210M, Windows 7]

Post Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:58 pm

Another question for the Verve masters or The Creator themself :bow:

When I export as 16 bit PNG on one layer, the result isn't exactly as it appears in Verve. The shine is shinier, and there are some artifacts that I didn't see while painting. JPEG export on the other hand seems to copy the thing as is. How can I make PNG export do that?

Also, tangentially related, Taron, you've mentioned JPEG export wasn't too good, does that mean it somewhat degrades the file, or just that it doesn't optimise well?

Artifacts and excessive shine example:

Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:21 pm

Hm, the trouble with PNG 16bit is that I don't save a color profile. That means, where ever you load it, like in PS, it will apply its default color profile, likely changing the look of it and possible emphasizing "artifacts" that didn't show earlier?! :shrug: ...I will explore my options, regarding the profile. I never cared about it, because I actually used it for texturing 3d stuff in the beginning, where the actual color values are taken "as is", you know.
JPeg, yeah, it's bad somehow. Besides weak optimization, it seems like the default library in BlitzMax isn't that good in terms of quality, either, even at maximum, which I'm using.

Anyway, PNG is solid, there is no error in them and the colors will be the original rgb values that you get to see in Verve, while Verve will let the monitor's profile dictate the translation, as far as I can tell. Try switching profiles in PS and see, if it makes a difference! :geek:
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:32 pm

Hmm, I've tried all the available color profiles in PS and it barely affected the white specs and the shine.

I went back into Verve and now that I knew what I was looking for, I could see that white specs are there even without the export, although not that prominent. With shine I see almost none in the program, and a lot in the PNG.

Here's a comparison, the top one is PNG opened in PS and the bottom one is just the painting in Verve.

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:46 pm

Huh, hmmm...that is interesting! Almost looks as if the lighting was actually different! Look at the bump map! So....that is really fascinating! I will investigate, though, I'm very puzzled about how that could happen?! :shrug:

Post Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:44 pm

Yep, the bumping fluctuates :ud:

I have this theory, I wonder if you could tell me whether it's possible. Could OpenGL be silently optimising stuff for my limited hardware, and in the process kinda limiting bump display? Or perhaps AMD drivers could do that?

Either way, it looks like a deep-seated issue to me, I'm gonna stick to JPEG export for now unless I need the bumps.

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:15 pm

Yeah, you know...eh... I don't know. :shrug: ...it really looks like it moves the light source somehow OR does what you are suggesting in a way, that it limits the bump height, because it goes above 1.0. Strange, to be sure!

Post Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:54 am

Hellos. Another question from your local Verve noobie :geek:

I can't seem to get Warp mode to work. As far as I understand, it's supposed to let me move the image around, yes? Kinda like Photoshop's Liquify Filter? So what I do is I press Ctrl + W, the blue frame lights up and WARP MODE seems activated. I try to move stuff with my pen, or mouse, but nothing is happening. What am I doing wrong?

Site Admin

Post Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:02 pm

Ah, best use Brush #1 and smudge with SHIFT or turn up Fluidity. The warp mode works only with velocities, which you generate with either smudging or fluids. I should look into it again to make it more immediate to function, but at least you can be sure it works! :) :oops:
PreviousNext

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]