vram gone right at Verve launch

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:52 pm

vram gone right at Verve launch

Hi there.
Maybe its pointless to write here and my situation is just something very special, not related to Verve.
Long story short. Once I run Verve my screen covered by little red squares and in next seconds gpu stop responding (no visual updates, music keep playing, gtx 580). I decide to reset my pc and it not helped. Now I have red lines even in boot menu and both windows and ubuntu failed to start, seens like windows gives me bsod about nvidia driver (can run windows in safe mode and after uninstalling drivers tho, but after re-installing windows gives bsod again).
Well, it looks like my video card memory was broken during initialization of verve. I using my gpu for working with graphics, I render a lot of 3d everyday, but it dies on verve somehow. -__-
Maybe its not that bad as it looks? Someone had this before me?

p.s. Im not blaming author of Verve about this incident. I just wanna be sure what its actually my unique problem, and its just a bad luck in the end.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/61oy0hwwtaty0 ... 0.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1r5lklte05ecf ... 7.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5jcb8nbiaejo ... 8.jpg?dl=0
Last edited by miwa on Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin

Post Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:19 pm

Re: vram gone right at Verve launch

Hey miwa, it's V E R V E , which you may see, if you look at the top of this forum! ;)
And that sounds like your video card is toast. But then it's from 2010, which is just about scratching the oldest it could get to support Verve. Don't even know, if it does. However, since it is that old, I could imagine that you have a lot of dust in the fans, which gradually leads to overheating, which destroys the card. Any 3d game you may be playing can be harder on the GPU than Verve, but 3d sculpting tools are not, since they hardly use any shaders. As soon as shaders are used extensively, the card will get hot. So...there's a real chance that a dusted up fan on an old card could lead to its demise. :shrug: :|
Good news, though, even the cheapest card you may buy today will be a massive upgrade to your old one.
My Quadro 5000 died while I was playing "warframe". When I looked inside it had these tiny fans that were buried beneath dust. I went to go buy GTX 970 for around $300, kind of the cheapest model one can get, and it's fabulous thus far! :bounce: (massive fans, too! Not too loud at all!)

So, yeah, upshot, your card is dead, I've got little doubt about that.
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:35 pm

Hi Taron, thanks for your reply! And sorry about misprints, I was sad and sleepless after all this happened to me.
Yeah my card supported Verve, I just started playing with it yesterday. Pretty cool painter I must say! Bad things happened not at very first launch (but since it was Exactly after I started Verve once again, I decide to contact you about it).
No, its not dust and overheat, I keeped it clean since, again, I rendered on it everyday, sometimes large scenes for more than 24 hours in row.
Well, no, actually cheapest cards cant replace my 580, because starting from 6xx series nvidia made changes in their cuda kernels in gaming cards so they compute (fp64 things) much worse than 5xx. To get same performance in my tasks I must buy something like 970-980. But I think I'll take Titan as its showing good results in rendering.

Okaay.. seems like my problem isnt something what usually happens to Verve users. RIP my lovely gpu. :C Thanks again for your attention.

Site Admin

Post Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:35 pm

AH, well, I'm sorry about your loss anyway, it's always terrifying! Again, I've just had that half a year ago, or so. Freaked me out! :o

So you're doing GPU rendering? That's pretty cool. I've never done that, actually. I always did my trusty CPU do the work, hehehe.
If that's what you were doing than it must've been just a question of time. Those cards, like everything nowadays, are made to break sooner than later. With 5 years on its back, your card did a GREAT job. I'm really a happy Nvidia user. They've never let me down thus far.
Anyway, I'm totally certain you'll be very, very happy with your new card then! :ob
OH, and thank you, of course! Don't be afraid to use Verve, though, it really is harmless compared to other apps, but at high resolutions with fluids and all it can make your card huff a little, hahaha. :? :lol:

Post Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:50 pm

Yeah I definitely will try Verve again someday. I just used it for few hours, but they was full of fun. :beer:

Post Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:01 pm

@miwa

Usually it is caused by bad solder joints. Over extend period of heating and cooling solders microstructres breaks and you got that squares (where signals is not transmitted completely). Every GPU is prone to that failure. That's why is good to have clean fans so that heating peaks are not that high.
My old Nvidia Gforce 6600 died like that, shortly after warranty period expired. I baked it in owen 2 times (not so smart even if it's ROHS compliant) to resolder joints again, but it just extended GPU life for some short period (i.e. few months). And I'm not recommending it to you as it's a bit of a tricky procedure (removing fan etc.). I'm afraid you should go for new GPU. :|

Site Admin

Post Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:16 pm

You baked it in the oven? :shock: THAT'S AWESOME! :lol: :bow:
Sorry, I've never heard that before, but it's totally cool! :lol:

Post Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:09 pm

Hehe. :D
Yes, it's quite bizzare! :o
And it even worked for some time...(just google 'gpu baking fix') :ugeek:

Post Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:16 pm

Haha...these days you have even pretty ladies baking it like cookies :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu1s1EOPJlY

Lol, what's next? Naked GPU baker;-) :lol:

Site Admin

Post Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:22 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
...you know, come to think of it, maybe it also works, if you run Verve at 4000x4000 with fluids up and dry off for like an hour, hahaha! That should bake it pretty good, too! :lol:
Ok, ok, there's the whole isolation of elements and the rubbing alcohol to consider, hahaha! :lol:

Anyway, thanks for that clip! :ob :lol:

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]