Canvas from texture

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:10 pm

Canvas from texture

Hi Taron, I saw your demo video where you painted some patterns and then created (ctrl + p) a canvas texture from it. :ob

So I'm hopping that similar procedure can be adopted to create a canvas texture from the image.
I want to create some uniform pattern watercolor-paper-like canvas texture.
I tried painting some tick fluid and importing an image (using this image as a base, scaled down a bit http://www.psdgraphics.com/file/watercolor-paper.jpg) on second layer. Then I set an image layer to multiply mode and merged it down with fluid layer.
But, unfortunately didn't succeeded in create a canvas texture from such procedure. :shrug:
It seems that Verve ignores such procedure. Is layer merging affects fluid?

Am I failing to hack this or is not possible to create a canvas texture from an image (at current state of Verve)?

Thank you!

Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:25 pm

Re: Canvas from texture

Hey zen, currently you can't import material layers, only color at a solid 1.0 of material. The canvas, though, only gets its texture from material.
I didn't allow such import, yet, because I couldn't figure out how to write a 16bit import for pngs in BlitzMax, yet. Totally wrecked my brains for some reason.
But it is something that will come. At the very latest once I'll have switched to C++.
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:38 pm

It's ok man!
Thank you for quick response! I appreciate it :beer:
btw. I will try painting some texture with imported brush (which is 128x128 pixels) and then try to create a canvas from it.
It sounds like impossible mission, but who knows, maybe I could end up with something useful ;-)
Does settings saving also saves a canvas or as a workaround I can only recreate it from saved project?

Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:45 pm

Well, just save the painting first...but come to think of it...hmmm...trouble was that all of this was "sandbox" stuff, you know, trying things before I go at the real versions. Especially the latest is completely experimental, but it's just too much fun to keep it to myself, you know.
Anyway, I'll have a look at all this for you! ;)

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:57 pm

Yeah but, I like to play in your sandbox as it's addictive ;-)
Thanks for help!
btw. I was aiming for that subtle fluid to watercolor-paper interaction. Like on this beautiful Sargent's paintings https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... Siesta.jpg .

Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:50 am

Yeah, that's pretty! I'm sure it's a very good inspiration, but don't forget that Verve won't act too much like watercolors. You can get similar effects, though. However, I would recommend to explore all the ways in which Verve can act, actually. It offers its own set of properties that are quite unique and can be very elegant, too.
Experiment with the strength and size of the canvas as well as density and stretch...well...all of the parameters, hahaha. They do have a massive influence on how it all acts.
Ah, there's so much you could do, so many different things to explore... everything matters with fluids, you know.

I'm very curious about what you'll do, though, so don't forget to share your explorations! c:!

Post Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:06 am

Sure, I understand that watercolors are far complex physical simulation, with all that pigment as particles motions, evaporation etc. .But, Verve proved (in front of my eyes :bow:) that it works better than all that state of the art simulations we have these days;-). No other tool can provide such interactivity and real time responsiveness as Verve can. Congratulate on that! :ob

I will try to play with all those settings you mentioned and when I create something remarkable sure that I will share with others. :rock:
But I'm still striving to have that human made uniform pattern as watercolor paper have;-)

btw. is it possible to increase brush mapping size from 128x128 pixels (that quad when one presses ''i'')?

Here is one of famous lines from ingenious primer of Irwin Greenberg (you can read them all at http://www.asllinea.org/the-painters-pr ... vival-kit/).

61. Don’t hoard your knowledge, share it. c:!

Post Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:42 am

Oh yes! I can increase that quad when mapping a brush texture ;-)
Ok, I will try to create a brush with watercolor paper texture and paint canvas texture from that.

Post Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:35 am

You're right! Custom brush (from imported image) doesn't carry a material information so when I increase canvas strength it looses a 'power' to fill with material all those crevices of a canvas texture (even I matched pretty nice one with given canvas settings). It just colorizes it vaguely.
Ok, I will stick to preset brushes or create one from actual fluid.

Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:51 am

Uh, now you've got me confused...eh...that line is confusing in itself, hahaha...I mean, I'm confused now!
Mapping a brush texture, hmm? What do you mean exactly? Do you mean hitting [i] and getting the square to pick up an image for the brush to use?
That little square you can change to your liking by dragging the corners around. Hit the center of it with your right mouse button to square it again based on the average length of all sides.

And, yes, imported images don't have material variation on them. HOWEVER, Lemivision is currently writing a glorious little tool to convert photoshop brush alphas (up to CS5) into Verve brushes. It works fantastic already, if I may say so! :) ...still some tiny things to figure out.

However, check out Knacki's Gallery thread:With Verve into the light
He did some very nifty things with it early on already! :ugeek:
Next

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]