Watercolors saturation simulation

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:11 pm

Watercolors saturation simulation

I wanted to ask if someone succesfully setup his brush to get as close as possible watercolor simulation especially when theres lot of pigment vs lot of water,where theres more paint then its something like this :
And this , orange starts as almost red and becomes yellow where theres more water than paint :
I see when im using real watercolors and i get less water and more paint then its darker and also more saturated, i was wondering if it can be recreated with verve and im trying to figure out brush setting for this.Also some kinds of orange paint is very orange almost reddish and when theres less water then it becomes more yellow, maybe this could be emulated with verve somehow? so when theres less water and more paint in given area then hue and saturation is shifted a bit to emulate this kind of look even better, i dont know exact settings but i was wondering today if having some kind of option in verve that will shift hue and saturation on areas with less/more paint or water will give us some interesting effects, like having some kind of hue control similar to hue dancer but more controllable which will shift colours when painting, and more transparent areas or areas with more water will go towards yellow from orange or toward green from orange, that could give interesting results and make outcomes less linear , more organic.
If theres any way to already shift hue or saturation based on how much water is on stroke then please let me know.
This is my try in verve, i only can get this effect by mixing two colours like on bottom of this pic, notrmal one colour strokes get linear effect , it would be very cool to get this effect using single colour and additional hue setting that would shift colour nicely, maybe also setting to stretch colours range between watery and less watery area could get nice effect so when colour on wheel is kinda middle and less saturated orange then it would go right on colour wheel and change a bit towards more saturated orange on more watery areas, cause i think now its very close but range between watery area and less watery area dont differ enough in saturation and brightness, some sort of setting to exted that range would be nice :
maybe build up setting is what im looking for but i cant get settings im after, i want paint to look like on these first pics.Where theres more paint then its saturated and dark as well, in verve if you want dark then you also get less saturated.
Ah also one more thing that could be nice as setting for watercolors, i see there is already fluid sharpness setting, so how about extending it even more so it will create this kind of border around every stroke automatically to make it appear even sharper like this :
I know with right brush you can get close but that option could fit better under this sharpness setting,on this example it gets darker around edges on top and bottom which makes the stroke appear more sharp.Or maybe brush bias... i know it makes brush tip more round and feathered on outside adding transparency ,so maybe there could be also setting to add this feathered transparency starting from middle of the brush so in the middle its more transparent than on edges... that could get this effect i think as well, more solid on edges and more transparent in the middle of stroke.
Brush 1 is nice for watercolors and it leaves nice crisp edge, it leaves these stretched circles tho when making fast strokes, i tried to create similar effect with brush6 but brush1 has better shape, i just with it wouldnt leave these circles and be like brush 6 after being fixed, or maybe theres some way to get this effect with brush6 ? Some tests with brush1:

Site Admin

Post Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:59 pm

Re: Watercolors saturation simulation

Eh, it's not a watercolor simulator, which would require dispersion and absorption, while the latter is partially present, dispersion is not at all. I have certain ideas on how I can make this happen, but this has to wait a little longer.
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:20 pm

i know im not after recreating watercolors behaviour but about end result that could be done differenty and would allow for even more control than simulation of watercolours , im experimenting and saving brush settings cause tiny bit of tweaking is changing so much sometimes, im just after that hue change which would give non linear result with each stroke and would shift hue and saturation , i like chroma smudge and hue dancer setting , that hue dancer could be very cool in the middle of stroke and after experimenting with it a bit i though it would be cool to have similar settings for other stuff like hue shift which could shift hue towards cold or warm based on opacity, or saturation shift could change it based on opacity of the stroke or water amount.
By the way can you control paint amount in verve so after awhile brush doesnt contain so much paint like at the beginning and more water is coming out? That could give nice results as well,on the other side it could be too similar to simply lifting up stylus a bit when opacity is pressure based, or maybe im wrong... would be nice if it wouldnt look the same.

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:22 pm

You can achieve such a pretty good result with the following settings:
http://www.lemivision.cz/tmp/watercolor.vrv

And these brushes:
http://www.lemivision.cz/tmp/watercolors_brushes.zip

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:14 pm

Thanks, ive got this with brush9
Attachments
water3.zip
(417 Bytes) Downloaded 713 times

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:08 am

Sheeesh, man, that's GREAT! :ob
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:43 am

Yes, your result looks really convincing! Cool settings! :ob

Post Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:11 pm

water3.vrs is a keeper indeed.
Strangely enough, I tried to redo it from scratch by replicating exactly every dial, but my results are much more liquid and less watery !?! Do you have secret dials ?
System info: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 4GB, i7-5820K 8GB, Windows 10, Wacom Intuos Pro M
Visit my photostream: http://flickriver.com/photos/24151359@N ... teresting/

Post Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:17 am

Gbo, check the fluid amount. Also this settings very depends on the background material. In any case I have to say that this settings is much better than "mine"..

Post Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:26 pm

great brush sharpness and color variation suggestions for Watercolor effects bwwd, watercolor has indeed its own behaviour.
about the brush running out of paint material I also miss that one, in fact I always wondered why Taron called it BUILD parameter, instead of LOADING parameter which term is very common among natural media painting apps, then I realize the brush never runs out of paint xD
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gonnabdh
Portfolio: https://www.deviantart.com/eduardobedoya/gallery
System: Intel Core i7-13700K, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 16GB, CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB, Windows 11
Verve Wishlist:
-LSH color pallete
-Brightness Knob
Next

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]