Hey there,...

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:33 am

Re: Hey there,...

Hi! I'm new to the forum and program so I thought I'd introduce myself. ^u^

I'm Colleen, a twenty-year-old International Studies and German language student who really wishes she'd taken her high school art courses more seriously. I starting digital art when I was about thirteen, but since then have never really found a program I liked or was able to afford. I'm out of practice, for sure, but I'm very excited about this program. It's so different from what else is out there, so I'm hoping this will be the start I needed to get back into painting.

Verve runs a bit slow on my two-year-old Toshiba Satellite, but it works well enough that I'm definitely going to stick around! I'm really excited to meet other artists here~

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:42 am

eli0s wrote:Oh man, you are one of those geniuses, aren't you :shock: :oops: :lol: I, on the other hand, am one of those monkeys with the stick, randomly waving it around until a banana falls (out of natural causes) on my head and claim it as my doing! Or something! :roll:

Seriously, I don't know about your sales talents, but as for the stuff you do and the things you achieved, you are toooo modest! But In a good and respectful way! :D

Oh, I know, I'm one of those overly humble, secretly devious and (of course) mad scientists, hatching plans to overthrow humanities frail attempts to adhere to a doomed system of total and voluntary submission and instead reach straight into their heavily pumping hearts and infuse it with happiness and appreciation, shamelessness and playfulness, foolish, silly, selfless, powerful and free expression of what it means to be alive as what we are... :twisted: ...muhahahaarr, ha.... :arrow: and you may all remember the day on which we've concurred the evil reign of virus-killer developers ( :evil: ) (damn mafia, I'm telling ya').

OOops, how did you squeeze in here, Collineesh?! :lol: ...the above was a reply to a post before yours, I think, hahaha.... :o
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:48 am

Let's pretend the above didn't just happen, hahaha, and instead here's a big:
WELCOME, Collineesh, Herzlich Willkommen, to the Verve forum. I'm so happy you joined. Felt like only hours ago that I replied to you on youtube, hehe. I'm really glad you came. :D
Sorry about the laggy performance on the laptop, but I hope it won't stop you from making some fun experiments you may post in the Gallery. At least you should feel obligated to post your "First Doodle" there! ;)

It's a bit late and I'm quite sleepy, hence the weirdness. :roll: ...but it's all in good fun! 8-)
(I have just figured out what those "quotes" really are good for!) :oops:

When I read that you've started doing that at 13 and somehow had to drop it for a while, it makes me all the more upset that you don't have a proper system to work with Verve with. :| ...I really hope that by some chance you get your hands on a better machine, because I get the feeling you have the perfect kind of passion to really take Verve to school, so to say. I'm looking forward to your feedback and, honestly, I can't wait to see what you do with it, but don't feel pressured at all, of course, hehe, it's just that I really enjoy helping, too, when ever I get the chance as much as I enjoy getting a glimpse into the beauty of our minds, you know, even if it takes a while to lift veil after veil.
Try to set "Fluidity" to 0% for a moment to get a lot faster speed even on your laptop. Then, when you use fluids, it will feel differently, I believe. Just knowing that it can be fast is kind of a relief. I've tried it a few times at 2650x1600 and with the fluids on it gets a bit slower, even on my system. But once I put fluidity to 0% it's lightning fast again. You can still do all the blending with the brushes, of course.

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:21 am

Danke schön!
It was only a few hours ago~ I've been browsing the galleries all day and I'm amazed and what you and other artists have been able to create. I will definitely post some of my doodles as soon as I'm able to go home and pick up my tablet (somehow painting with a mini-mouse isn't all that great). I'm afraid they won't be too amazing, compared to what other people have done, but I suppose I have to start somewhere. :)

I've always been a doodler and a sketcher but painting supplies have always been out of my price range. As for my laptop, I'm afraid I'm stuck with this one for until I graduate, at least. I've been playing with the settings and found that increasing sensitivity helps a lot. I'll try playing with the fluidity next! I am really looking forward to seeing where this program goes. I think it is absolutely amazing that you just made this.

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:33 am

Ahaha, thanks Colline, yeah, I think I'll always be thrilled about the wonders and powers of programming. I love not having to compromise or settle for what's there, while I'd wish for something else. Of course, at the same time I learn the hard way where the limits are, hahaha, but it really hasn't been that hard just yet. :)

I can't wait to see your doodles! ...again: don't worry about quality, focus on fun! :D

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:44 pm

Taron wrote:Those big shots sometimes are groomed to an almost involuntary arrogance. I wouldn't fault them, it's just a weird world we live in, you know. People don't realize that we can do what we can do for the sake of everyone else, not for our own. Once you embrace that, you have a much easier time to recognize your purpose! ;)
Uh, a laptop, I'm still scared of those, hahahaha...they often have some on-board graphics solution that is a bit sub-par. Or at least it used to be that. I'm impressed how many people can run Verve on theirs. :)

Ahm, yeah, I kinda know how "big" an artist I am, hahaha, at least in the realm of novelty, I'd say, being an old 3d artist, you know. But in terms of painting, or really any of this, what still tends to intimidate me is the fact that I've got no academical background whatsoever. That goes for everything, really. So, yeah, there's a beauty about being self-taught, but there's also the challenge of dealing with conventions. All of us are groomed to some extend to judge things based on parameters that were given to us. It's our "official" orientation. To break out of it can sometimes be more challenging than one would be ready to admit.

Anyway, I'm here for you for as long as I can help it! :geek: :D

I guess it's almost impossible to break out of that arrogance if one were basked in constant praise? (oooh, so poetic! :lol: )

I'm sorry I haven't run my laptop yet, I'll try to tomorrow or the day after that :) Don't know why but I felt so tired today...

Ahhh, 3D artists. You folks don't have to say a word about it -It looks hard as hell and I'm sure successfully making one is a trip to hell and back!- That makes the two of us! College is only a few years away and I'm still not sure! I want to take art (graphic design or maybe even animation) as a major but my parents say otherwise! They (well, my mum) want me to take... what is it? International Communications? I still don't know what that even means!

I've always dreamt about going to those art expos and conventions! Whether lurking around and buying prints or opening a booth myself ;) But I'm still young and I live somewhere in Southeast Asia so... :roll: But mark my words I will go someday!

...because more often than not those parameters give away more accurate predictions.. Of course I've surprised a good amount here in my area (Not to boast; they all expect kids my age to waste money and be dumb twats!) and I would really like some formal education but... I think that method of learning isn't all that fitting for me? I just... I don't know. I take home so much pride when I discovered something entirely on my own! :D

Do you have a deviantart or a tumblr, sir? I would really like to see what you've made :D Your own site would be more than enough if there's one! :P

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:07 pm

Are you seeing my signature? ;)
http://www.taron.de

Also, art and design are currently some of the most sought after professions. It would be just as promising, if not more, were you to go for those majors. People are just not familiar enough with what's going on in the world right now and still think in terms of suit+tie=salary.
Constant praise is not the cause of arrogance, just a supporting factor. I'm familiar with constant praise, if I may say so, :lol:, for the last...oh...kind of all of those years, but especially the last 16 years, I think. Sometimes it may even be the absence of praise where it counts the most, which triggers some of it. But the most important reason is the skewed idea of "self-importance", not understanding that one is nothing without everyone else and the expectation to be understood as "special" before actually having earned it and then not caring about that aspect instead. :)
You live somewhere in Southeast asia? Korea? Philippines? Just curious. ;)
Well, as long as you focus on your art, it doesn't matter where you are or where you come from. And always keep in mind that your art is very much for the purpose of "international communications"...if not even "universal communications". ;)
Art is also really "just another" occupation at the end. We all are meant to do something and ideally that is something we can do successfully, something in which we can excel, because we truly love doing it, we are ready to put all our efforts into it. Whether this is art, fixing things, helping people, managing stuff or inventing solutions, it doesn't matter what it is, as long as you have the will power to make it happen and make it work.

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:32 pm

Like malphigus, I found Verve over Tumblr just about 36h ago now, watched the demo #1 and got incredibly excited.

Artistically I'm an amateur/hobbyist involved in the mlp fandom, professionally I'm a mechanic at a bicycle shop, academically I'm an engineering student at a community college cause I don't actually know what I'm doing with my life ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm delighted to jump head first into this very welcoming community! Just finished reading through all activity on the forum, and can't believe Taron is humanly capable of keeping up to date and replying to everyone on top of actively developing/testing software, and drawing, not to mention things like sleep, and food... :o

I'm currently bumping into a few bugs, most likely caused by stuffing a windows program on Linux. Mostly just that the gui for the color wheel doesn't load properly. it works, I can use it, but no GUI :lol: Oh and pen pressure doesn't work. I'll document it better and post it on a new thread.

by the way. I LOVE that color wheel. I'm typically upset at color wheels. but this one is GREAT!! It's the little things in life. Absolutely glorious new painting program :arrow: OMG LOOK AT DAT COLOR WHEEL
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Hi! New member here, just stumbled across your first Verve demo and fell in love within minutes. The most intuitive and genius painter I've seen, although I'm no professional.
I take photos and edit them for fun, as I've always loved art. I have a deviantART page where I post stuff, and also two Soundclouds where I post music. I also write, at the moment I'm writing a screenplay, hopefully that's what I'll do for a living one day.
Anyway, I want to go and play with Verve, I can't believe it's free. "Shut up and take my money!"

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:26 pm

LOL, throw it my way, if you have to, not like I'd be stopping you! ;)
Great, Welcome, MD! You certainly know how to make an entrance! :D
I'm sure you'll want to be able to import images, soon. I will see to that shortly, too! :)
PreviousNext

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]