Putting the BRUSHES into the Spotlight

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Site Admin

Post Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:35 pm

Re: Putting the BRUSHES into the Spotlight

Why don't you clear the content, make the crop smaller, then it should just be a few kb, I'd imagine.
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:48 pm

Yep, there you go. Only 17 KB now.
And for me, Brush #6 (at least with Size 175, Min.Size =75%) still acts weird in this tiny, empty project. Even though it's working like in your demonstration when I freshly open up Verve... :?

Br-6-Empty.zip
(623 Bytes) Downloaded 507 times

And thank you very much for your help! :ob

Site Admin

Post Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:07 pm

AH, That's SO FUNNY! :lol: ...and brilliant, too! :ugeek:
I totally forgot the "Bristle Size" parameter on Brush #6. With it you can determine the stipple spacing! You have it set to 100%, turning it into this confusing stipple thing. Just turn it to 0% and you'll get the perfect #6. BUT you can experiment with it, because it is rather interesting, I find! :shrug: :D

Mystery solved! :bounce:
Thanks for sharing and reminding me. Really, my bad for totally having forgotten about that. :oops:

Post Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:43 pm

Ooops - Now that you mention it, in my brush experiment I did get continuous strokes for Bristle Counts of 88 and 100 with Bristle Size 12. And for Bristle Size 0 even with Counts 37, 62, 88 and 100.
But the separate circles baffled me so much that I forgot about those continous strokes. And because I had the Min.Size set to 75% (and tried to keep the pressure as constant as possible for comparison reasons (in respect to the other strokes) the resulting strokes looked pretty dull anyway.

But you know - this is just my problem: How do I know what parameter ranges are most promising to get to know the brushes. Because, especially for a beginner, there is quite an overwhelming richness of options. And you simply might never try something out because you can't imagine it would make a difference.
And how should you be able to imagine that if you don't know anything about the brush you'd like to get to know?
I am desperate.JPG
I am desperate.JPG (27.12 KiB) Viewed 8164 times

Yeah, I know - the coffee-drinking one doesn't exactly convey my feeling of mild despair.
But I just couldn't resist it.

Site Admin

Post Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:37 pm

Hahaha, I like it, too! :lol:
Anyway, just take your time, man, really. Who's chasing you through this? Just enjoy, experiment, maybe even stick with one or two brushes and start making something. Piece by piece you will discover more and there's some to discover. 8-)
But what I love about Verve is that it's not an overwhelming amount of features, but they allow you to do more than you even should do, hahahaha. The tough part is to discover your comfort zone, get strong with it and then explore from there on out.
You cannot miss anything, nothing to worry about. Look at it as the gift that it is, you know. Also, there are so many things in it one can enjoy, just for the experience itself. It's wonderful to make yourself a plan, of course, to want a general direction for your experience, but no need to nail it down either.
I'm sure you know Art Rage, right? I used to love it very much. It has a similar challenge/problem or rather Verve has a similar trouble and that is that you really get to discover its true powers once you go slow, careful and relaxed at it. Suddenly something opens up to you that feels like pure control and stunning might. You can essentially model your color and the more relaxed you go about it, the more real it gets, too. It is very unlike Photoshop or the likes. It compares much more to actual painting, though, still in its very own world/reality, so to say.

Anyway, no need to rush it, no need to get EEEeeverything into your head right away. Explore and expand your understanding! ;) :ob

Post Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:24 am

What a scientific approach!
Really good & useful for anyone using verve.

To be honest, I don’t use 3,4,5
1 & 6 sometimes, mostly when I need circles, even though #6 gives a very nice & fine line.
This stipples thing on 6 is very cool.
Didn’t know it, or maybe forgot.
Pud lately asked for this and I made image brushes to solve this :lol:

For me, brush #9 is the one I am starting most paintings with.
It can do almost everything, from fine lines to wide strokes & hair.
On big brush sizes an strong canvas settings it’s very thin though, in this cases #2 does a much better job.
Same if you one to make thick strokes. For dots, stars etc. with a few bristles and smal bristle size it’s brilliant as well.
Best with locking tilt...?...is it tilt?....with hot key “a”.

Brush 2&9 do the major job.
Brilliant brush #8 for special effects, terrain, trees.

Brush 0 for image painting.

7 can be a help for doing mountain silhouettes I.e.
2-5 and 7+8 can have stutter issues. Turning high speed on top right corner and slower strokes can help.

Practise and research will help - as always.
Look at the firework challenge and you’ll find interesting effects done with existing brushes I.e.
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram

Post Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:30 am

No. #4 I use for water waves & water surfaces - painting waves - really - but with BIAS and only a few Brush dots for Highlights and also with fixed Angle SHIFT+A, #4 also good for cumulus-clouds

I like also Brush #7 for hard edged things like Mountain-shapes or Skylines for a city in the Beackground and so on ... Brush #7 i like also for creating Water surface - but for Calm Water Surface - with Shift-Smudge.

#6 I use mostly as my round hard Basic Brush with Bristles 100 / Bias 98-99, no stipless with Bristles 100, Brush #1 as my Soft Round Brush - sometimes I use als #1 as my hard brush and #6 as my soft brush - because of different behaviour. #9 also for hairs. #8 for clouds, rocks, wood ...
my system: intel7 - 2600k, gtx 970, dualboot windows 7 64 bit / ubuntu 14.04 lts
my deviantartpage: http://zeropainter.deviantart.com/gallery
my youtube channel: zeropainter - ok, there are only 2-3 very short videos
Previous

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]