Feedback v0.99v.31

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Site Admin

Post Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:40 pm

Feedback v0.99v.31

Yeah, I start a feedback thread myself...why not?!
Anyway, I've added a few more features to the LAYER FX:
- REPLACE: Currently chosen color is used as mask for color corrections. Higher values tighten up the selection around that color.
- TINT: Currently chosen color is used to tint all colors towards it.
- +LAYERS: allows to APPLY color corrections to all layers, except material changes. Changes only show after APPLY, which is a bit annoying, but easier for me right now. UNDO still works on each layer, in case you want to undo.
- masks now work properly as far as I can tell. Though, I haven't checked it with the +LAYER option, yet... :oops: ...I've just thought about it, hehe. :ud: (Yep, it's still messy with masks and all layers...will fix later!) :geek:

SO, yeah, Verve is growing! :D
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:29 pm

Re: Feedback v0.99v.31

TINT? LAYERS?! So I need to download again :beer: - thats great.

Edit I see - that LAYER-FX has problems - if there are very bright colors there - colors painted with (+) Mode - Layer FX didnt work with very bright (+) values.
my system: intel7 - 2600k, gtx 970, dualboot windows 7 64 bit / ubuntu 14.04 lts
my deviantartpage: http://zeropainter.deviantart.com/gallery
my youtube channel: zeropainter - ok, there are only 2-3 very short videos

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:09 am

Well Ive had some time to play with the new layer fx and it is very cool!....heres some specific feedback

REPLACE works incredibly well considering its simplicity!...classic Taron! ( perhaps "selection" is a more appropriate term)
The fact that replace is superfast, live and works in realtime( even if fuids are in motion) is freaking AWSOME!@#$%
TINT is sweet and simple but very useful...especially in conjunction with replace....perfect.
BLEND is a wonderful idea...Love it! Would be nice to have a little btn beside it ( or modifier key) for immediate A/B comparision
DESATURATE and PERCEPTION work great together ( looks sooo much better than straight desaturate....should just be default )
MATERIAL is my favourite feature!!!!!!...I love love love that you can tweak and INVERT THE BUMP!!!!@#$%^ Brillaint!
LUMINOSITY without mucking up colour is a very cool feature...Nice!

I find the HISTOGRAMS as they implemented very frustrating and unnecessarily awkward and cumbersome.
Things get squeezed and compressed making handle grabbing difficult at times and the shifting images depending on channel content
can be distracting especially when range is extended via the slider which re scales everything....the inconsistency from window to window is confusing.
I personally would prefer the simple and efficient elegance of CURVES ( or even a traditional histogram behaviour)
I also love that you can view multiple curves at once in a single window.
I look forward to the addition of HUE SHIFT as I find that one of the most practical and useful tools!

So nice to have these features added...THANK YOU for putting it out there TARON :)
Macbook Pro
2.6 intel core i7
8 gb ram
Nvidia 650m 1gb v ram
bootcamp windows 7 premium

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:42 am

I finally find time to at least almost understand the functionality.
Great and different!

I still can't exactly figure out what perception is good for, or what synonym is common in other progs for this function.. It's not a new feature, but well.....
What I visually see is, that if I use desaturate, I can influence brighter areas with perception?

Influencing Material and luminance is a hell of fun.
As one is a used more to curves, it needed a short time to get into the histogram.
Now I am fine.

Switching between layers or creating new layers while the Layer FX window is open can lead to some confusing results but I still need to practise more, before I can give a decent feedback.
I am still very much into exposure, brightness & contrast, color balance etc etc and need to rethink a bit.
Thank you for this wonderful new feature, which makes verve much more flexible already.
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram

Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:12 am

Knacki, "perception" puts weights on each color channel, according to its perceived brightness. Just make three areas on the canvas: one fully red (100%,0,0), one green(0, 100%, 0), one blue (0, 0, 100%)! Now turn desaturation all the way up and then play with perception. You will see that with perception on 0% all colors have the same gray. Turn it to 100% and you will see how Green is brightest, followed by Red and then Blue.

Stavros, I hear ya'! I will work on the histogram GUI some more for sure. Though it may not be that clear to you, yet, once you get used to what is being presented you there, you will notice that it is likely the most direct visual interaction with the colors of an image compared to any other common way. You will see that you are looking at the pixel distribution on each channel and you literally move those pixels to other values. Both the common level implementations as well as the curves, they don't communicate visually as directly as this. We are conditioned to accept this, but unconsciously we have to translate every time we use those. HOWEVER, I'm also annoyed at the "vanishing handles", probably should find a different look for them to always stand out clearly. I also need to improve the interaction with them...more clever mouse interaction. There are also the occasional bugs, like jumping handles for no reason. Stuff I have to find and solve.
(coffee does wonders to my psyche!) :shock:

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:48 pm

I get what your trying to do Taron and its pretty clever...you look at everything from a different angle as always....and thats why we have Verve! :)
Im just thinking about what most people will experience when they open that window....as a retoucher I work in RGB,LAB and CMYK.
Histogram aside...when i comes to simply tweaking a painting I still think that good old fashioned Hue ( with selectable colour ranges and shift)
Saturation and Luminosity ( brightness/contrast) are the easiest to understand and apply....still nice to have the deep end for geeks lol! :)
Macbook Pro
2.6 intel core i7
8 gb ram
Nvidia 650m 1gb v ram
bootcamp windows 7 premium

Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:18 pm

My favorite thing has always been curves, actually, though I do like HSB, too. As I said already, this is far from being done and I'm planning on adding further options for sure!
I'm also planning on some way to justify working on Verve in the first place, which means I cannot keep working like crazy for absolutely nothing. I think, before I add feature after feature until I have to look for a power plug under the nearest bridge, I must work out a way to finance it all. This is not me begging, but just realizing again that I have to shift gears to stay at least above water, possibly even get a proverbial dingy of sorts...I have never asked for a yacht, hehe, but currently, I have to say, my arms are getting tired, if you know what I mean. :shrug:

So, yeah, I'm with you, but it may have to wait a moment...

Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:27 pm

I've made one small set of changes to the Handles over the Histograms and the visibility of the background histograms, making it a bit easier to see. It's actually kind of interesting, when you want to match the color channels, though, probably not too useful. But who knows!? :)

Post Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:53 am

Cool.

taron, thank you very much.

Completely understood that life wants to be paid.
That's the trap having a product not developed enough to hit the market and "loosing" time for bringing the product to the market level with other work to get an income.
Maybe you wanna rethink something like crowdfunding? Finding some money to hire another programmer for all the "pain in the ass work"?

Anyway - one idea to this new release. Take it as inspiration. Maybe this is realized more easy?
I like very much your idea of implementing the color wheel for tint & replace.
I also love HSB correction very much.

What about a button in LayerFX that let one use the color wheel for HSB adjustment?

No extra interface needed which also means more space to see your painting.
When you are ready, press apply.
Just an idea. I am sure you have plenty as well. ;)
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram

Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:27 am

OH, I like the idea! It may even make things easier, though, it could go the other way, too, hehe. We shall see!

I will figure things out professionally. It somehow is always hardest to break into new waters, so to say, and I'm really still having to align myself against the breakers. Then it will all be about finding my stride.
Thank you for thinking with me on that, too. I really should at least take some sort of good plunge to get things rolling and make some new experiences. The Donate button was my first little plunge and I am grateful for what has been coming in. It's a valuable experience and I imagine there is still something ahead to learn from. For so long I haven't made a new video and I have made no promotion anywhere about Verve and a subtle call for support, so to say.
A little more action... 8-)
Next

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]