Curious color glitch?

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:03 am

Curious color glitch?

Hi Taron! I've been away for a while, buried at work mostly, but my love for Verve hasn't diminished a bit. Thanks again for this truly wonderful creation. :bounce:

I recently noticed a strange behavior that is easy to reproduce. Basically, when you first open Verve, if you draw with the brown color it first loads with, and then make some marks with another color anywhere on the canvas, the second color appears slightly around the edges of the brown strokes too. Maybe this is something to do with how the blending or lighting works? A picture's worth a thousand words and a video is worth a thousand pictures, so I screencapped it to show it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGhwPTV2jVo (hard to see what I'm describing unless you set the video to 1080 resolution)

It's a minor thing really, but since it seems easy to reproduce I thought I'd bring it to your attention. Thanks again for this amazing piece of software and I hope to share some more verve works here soon!

qwerty

Site Admin

Post Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:12 am

Re: Curious color glitch?

Welcome back, qwerty! :beer:
Yeah, haha, no, that's not a bug...that's a feature! :lol: :hyper: I always wanted to say that! :ud:
Well, it's not a feature, but a sad side effect from the way in which I make Verve act so fluently and swiftly. It's a concession, so to say. Ordinary paint apps don't actually paint on the layer you're on. They paint on an invisible layer and then transfer the result to the actual layer you're on. In Verve this would make the interaction with the fluids quite a bit slower and could cause a whole different layer of complication, let alone additional graphics memory, because you can't localize a stroke, since fluids could affect the canvas everywhere with just a tiny impulse of your brush.
Thus, what is happening is my attempt of a bit of trickery, where it paints directly onto the layer and fills all "empty" pixels with the currently used color, by a threshold for the alpha channel. If I weren't doing that, you could never smudge or have fluids on an empty canvas and all sorts of troubles would happen. A concession. I'm not thrilled about it, but I'm also thrilled about it. :? ...yes...both! :shock: 8-)

Thanks for letting me know, though. I'm always happy to know you care, you know! :ob
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Site Admin

Post Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:31 am

I should add: Consider it a bit like a "real canvas", which you really should prime by filling it with a color! Once you do that, it behaves consistently and actually beautifully, too.
TIP: If you want to "erase" on a primed canvas, pick the color you had chosen to fill it with and set the brush BUILD UP to 0% to then just paint over instead of erasing. You could even turn the brush mode to (=) instead of (>) or (+) and set the BUILD UP to 50%, which will also practically erase the material buildup on your painting, then, back to how you had primed it.
That's another reminder to me to create custom brush slots and key assignments, so you could use such a brush as eraser, for example, but that's all still to come.
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:57 am

Ah, I understand, thanks for that explanation! I think the reason I didn't notice this before was because I almost always start by 'priming' the canvas just like you described :lol:

Those custom brush slots will be really nice to have (but please don't take this as begging, I don't want to sound greedy!) I have a lot of very fine-tuned settings I use to get specific subtle effects from the brushes, and having a few custom slots to select between them quickly would be very convenient. Now back to the Verve-ing! c:!

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]