Crash on save

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:07 pm

Crash on save

I have been enjoying using Verve for a while now, but recently I have started having a crash that will randomly happen when trying to save my work. It doesn't always happen, but when it does I lose my work. When it happens it does save a vrv file, but when trying to load it, verve crashes instantly, which I believe means the save file is corrupted following the crash.

Any help would be appreciated.

Site Admin

Post Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:38 pm

Re: Crash on save

Hey, TWK! Welcome to the forum! :beer:
As for the crash, are you using the latest version? If not, that would make sense. I missed a few things in the new file I/O, which should now be sorted out. If you happen to use the latest (v0.99w.06) then you'd have to tell me a little more such as your computer specs, what resolution your painting was, how many layers, if more than one. Also, check the filesize of your vrv. Ordinarily, if it was corrupted, it would be 0 bytes. If it was larger than that, you could send me the vrv or a link to it and I could have a look at it!

I'm secretly still hoping you're using an earlier version, but- no matter what- I'm very sorry you had to run into that! Also: Don't forget to post your first painting in the gallery section! I'd love to see what you do with it! c:!
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:50 pm

Well when the problem started my first instinct was to download the latest version in case there had been an update, but the problem persisted even after I installed the latest version.

Oh and it has happened regardless of how many layers I am using. Been doing some one layer paintings lately.

Not sure what resolution they were at since I have been doing different resolutions too.

My specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 1800x Eight Core Processor 3.60 GHz
16 GB of RAM
64-Bit Windows 10 operating system
Geforce GTX 1070 Graphics Card

I am updating my graphics drivers to see if that solves it.

Site Admin

Post Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:04 pm

Great, thanks for sharing. AMD always spooks me a little, but surely shouldn't cause crashes. Let me know which res you will be doing and also, if the file had saved at all. Whenever you save PNGs, be sure to wait, because they can take a long time to save and I have no proper progress bar for those. I will work on that, too. As a rule of thumb, unless there is an actual error message popping up, it's usually worth waiting, even if it takes 2 minutes, depending on the resolution.

Again, thanks, and I'm sure we will figure it out! :geek:

Post Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:36 pm

So the crash doesn't seem to happen just when saving but can happen anytime the save menu is closed. I was able to crash the program just by opening up the save menu and hitting the red x to cancel the save.

The crash itself is just a crash to desktop with no error message. The whole thing just closes out.

I did go back and mess around with the resolutions though. I had it at like 3000 x 3000 and above so maybe that was just a bit too big? I cut the resolution in half or so and it doesn't seem to crash now. If it does I'll let you know.

Site Admin

Post Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:09 pm

Hm, with 16Gb VRam this shoudln't quite be a problem. Look at my specs: GTX 970! It has 4Gb VRam and I run and save 3000 x 3000 fluidly and without any troubles. Turning off High Quality will actually make this run as smooth and fast as it can possibly go. I'm a little surprised right now myself, haha...I hardly paint at such resolutions. At least not for fun. :ud: ...but, yeah, maybe I should?! Seems like a clever idea just to stay on top of things, regarding potential troubles.
But, yeah, so 3k is no problem.
Try turning off High Quality and see, if that makes it more stable for you?! The other minor wildcard is win10, though, I have tested it on it successfully with an Intel HD4400, I think, some intel card. I'm not sure what to tell you, you know. Strange. :shrug:
When I get to enough money again, I will invest in different systems for proper testing. I hate to mention this, but it's the truth and I want you to know that I care and can't wait to address such things directly. Right now I still have to fly blindly, making assumptions about what could've gone wrong on AMD. However, I could at least release a "log" mode, which may help to figure out at least where it breaks down. :PP

Alone the idea that it "just closes" suggests that there's a GL problem, that's for sure. It means that it wasn't an "access violation", but some other collapse of sorts that the OS never got to know (hence on graphics card). At least I think so.

Anyway, thanks once more for helping me look for it. At least you made me try out 3k again and I might make a big doodle just to run it through its paces there.

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:11 am

Hi, 3000x3000 can get critical quickly as soon as you use multiple layers.
The reopening crash is a real asshole.
Lost some work as well. I now try to save a png before saving the project as backup.
Took ages, as saving is slow.

We talked about maximum resolution here:
http://www.taron.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2510

It's a good idea to make some tests with just some stupid strokes and layers to get a feeling what your system can handle.

The more layers, the less resolution is possible.
Staying below 6.000.000 pixels (i.e. 3000x2000) should be ultra safe on your system, even with 10 layers.
One member with a GTX1080 do crazy resolutions, but with one layer only, I guess. The link above.

Cheers,

Knacki
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:34 pm

Hmm I can't seem to load png images back into verve though. They just load in as pure black images.

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:00 pm

it may seem strange (I do it when it gets dark) but try SHIFT F2 or press the CROP button.
everything a few times until it's bright

by the way, you'll see something interesting about the self-changing canvas size
System info: NVidia GTX1080, i7 6700, Win10
https://www.behance.net/pudjakjuzto2

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:05 pm

pudjakjuzto wrote:it may seem strange (I do it when it gets dark) but try SHIFT F2 or press the CROP button.
everything a few times until it's bright

by the way, you'll see something interesting about the self-changing canvas size

Same here. sometimes slightly cropping bit by bit, not much, helps and the picture reappears and black is gone.
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram
Next

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]