Verve keeps using Integrated GPU

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:21 pm

Verve keeps using Integrated GPU

According to Task Manager, Verve keeps using my integrated GPU instead of the dedicated GPU, and it's getting bottlenecked. I have tried forcing it to high performance GPU in graphics settings (Win 10) but it still doesn't work. What exactly do I need to do to force Verve to use the dedicated GPU? Are there any settings menu in Verve that allows me to do this?

Specs:
GPU: Integrated - AMD Radeon Vega 8
Dedicated - Radeon RX 560X
Verve version: 0.99w.08

Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:46 pm

Re: Verve keeps using Integrated GPU

Hi propfeds, welcome to the forum! :beer:
Now that's a weird one. I'm curious to hear what people have to say about this myself... :oops: :lol: ...I certainly don't have any code in there to distinguish where the GL instructions go, nor do I have a clue how a software would make that distinction? :shrug: ...I wager that it must be a settings thing, but AMD keeps disappointing me left and right, making it less of a surprise that something's funky in their settings, too. :PP
I know for sure that people, who have NVidia boards as alternatives have managed to do so without hickups, assuming I can trust their enthusiasm. :ob ...but that ain't helping you right now, of course. So, hmmm... well, while we wait to see, if someone has some useful ideas, I'll try to see what I can find online. Bare in mind that Verve is written with BlitzMax, which is by now a fairly dead language, yet, it's still quite wonderful. Shame, really. However, that limits resources dramatically regarding new drivers or other libraries that relate to current gear. But I've managed to write my own 16bit import and export of PNGs, raising my hopes I might be able to add more custom guts to the poor thing. 8-)

Anyway, thanks again for asking and let's see, if we can figure this out! :ugeek:

Right away I found this article:
https://support.ubisoft.com/en-gb/faqs/ ... cated-GPU/

Seems like there may be some settings that could prevent switching from happening, but I haven't really read it, yet, and have no way of testing it, of course! :geek:
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:44 pm

It's been a month and not any answers yet eh...

I probably have to live with sub-60 fps then haha :hihi:

Site Admin

Post Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:55 pm

Ah, that's a shame. I'm sorry nobody has jumped on this yet. I assume you did read the article I was posting a link to up there?

Post Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:40 am

I did. It's outdated.
The AMD control thing has probably changed its UI a thousand times between the article and I.
I can't seem to find any settings regarding it.

Site Admin

Post Sun May 24, 2020 9:47 am

I'm sorry, prop, I wished I had any idea on how to solve your troubles. There's nothing I'd know to do about it. :shrug:
But, if I ever hear anything or stumble across more info, I'll let you know right away! :geek:

Last bumped by propfeds on Sun May 24, 2020 9:47 am.

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]