Strange bug that makes Verve unusable

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:59 pm

Re: Strange bug that makes Verve unusable

Oh, yes, you want a tablet for sure! :D :ob
...even an old wacom intuos should be great and fairly cheap. What are you getting?
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:05 am

Taron wrote:Oh, yes, you want a tablet for sure! :D :ob
...even an old wacom intuos should be great and fairly cheap. What are you getting?

The cheapest one I could find... don't judge me :hihi: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0928 ... UTF8&psc=1

Site Admin

Post Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:11 am

Ah well, I hope it works with the pressure at least, but hey... looking forward to your report! :ugeek: :)

Post Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:35 pm

Just wanted to chime in and say that my experience is like the other person. The desktop application doesn't work, as I said, but the browser version works for me with no problems at all. So it seems like it's just that driver issue. While I haven't rolled my drivers back atm, I've been taking a small break from art, so hopefully AMD can get this fixed with a new driver update :ud:

I also really wanted to give a big thank you to Taron for making what is, at least in my opinion, THE BEST painting simulation program! I've tried so many other programs, but none of them come close to emulating the workflow and feeling of using oil or acrylics. I've been using Verve since around 2016 I think and it's my main art program. I did have a suggestion I'd like to make if it wouldn't be too hard to implement. I'm an oil painter and am used to mixing colors how you do with physical paints. I noticed that when smudging colors together in verve they don't mix quite how I expect them to do sometimes. For example, blue and yellow don't blend into green. While maybe not for everyone, it would be cool to have an option that does away with a color wheel and instead gives you a selection of paint colors to use that behave more to their real life counter parts. Just a thought anyways. Keep up the good work! :D

Site Admin

Post Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:15 pm

AH, that's so wonderful to read! Yeah, it's always a challenge with additive color blending to simulate subtractive. If you increase the "Chroma smudge" dial, it will try to act a bit more subtractive in nature, but it's a risky one.
The challenge is that you can't quite do it directly with RGB. In subtractive color blending you are working with the spectrum and you essentially subtract wavelengths when colors combine. I've tried some sort of approximation with my Chroma solution, but it's totally heuristic. One day I'll come up with a better plan for it, I promise.
My advice, though, is to embrace it's nature for what it is. Again, the chroma smudge amount adds a very unusual behavior to digital colors, which feels more familiar with the curiousness of real paint, but in its own sort of "fantastical" nature. Certainly something you should explore and play with. I love it.
My favorite thing is what it does to blending into really dark color with brighter colors. If you filled the canvas with almost black but some hint of color and then painted with white on it and smudge, some really magical things can happen!

Thanks again for your reaction and don't shy away from rolling back drivers! It most likely will not hurt your machine and I imagine the later drives haven't added any dramatic advantage, or have they? I don't know, honestly, but I'm assuming it's no loss.
In the meantime I'm still working on Vervette to make it happen. So many neat things are on their way and I am having a blast. Just some other things I have to take care of, too, which continue to hold me back a bit. But I'm not letting go, that's for sure!

Cheers and post some stuff!!! c:! :beer:

Site Admin

Post Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:52 am

I HAVE FIXED IT!!!
:bounce:

After many years I finally did some coding, because AMD decided to sneakily update my graphics drivers and screw up Verve for me, too. :hihi: :lol: ...OF COURSE, I had to fix it! 8-)
You can already download again. I'll update the download website now...
:hyper:
Previous

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]