Strange bug that makes Verve unusable

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Site Admin

Post Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:45 pm

Re: Strange bug that makes Verve unusable

Funny, because I just recently updated the drivers...can't be more than a few weeks ago at most. Weird.
EH...maybe it was just their desktop center software thingy that updated? :shrug: ...but now I'm worried to update the drivers, hehehe.
:? Anyway, I'm sitting tight!
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:26 pm

Hi, this is my first posting in this forum. I've always enjoyed using Verve but I am also having the exact same issue with the new version. Black canvas and a square color wheel. I have an old version of Verve that I had kept and used for a long time because I really liked how the blending felt in that version. I haven't used the program in a couple years though. I got an email about the new version and wanted to check it out to see how things have changed in the program. I tried the steps listed in this post but none of them work. I also tried running the program in administrator mode and no luck. I tried to run the several years old version of the program I have and it was also showing the same exact issues. So I don't think this is a thing to do with Verve but something on my system. I also am using an AMD graphics card. I wonder if maybe there is a setting somewhere causing the problem? Any help on this would be appreciated! :D

Specs:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
32GB RAM
AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT
Radeon RX 580 4GB

Site Admin

Post Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:39 pm

I really think, too, that AMD must've done something funky there. Luckily I haven't updated my drivers lately, but they are no more than half a year old at most. Maybe it's a buffering setting?

OH, and welcome to forum!!! :beer:
....and sorry about that email... :oops:

Post Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:37 pm

i saw this square in the color picker in verve
it was showing when i used nouveau open-source nvidia driver on linux
it was not on closed drivers
System info: NVidia GTX1080, i7 6700, Win10
https://www.behance.net/pudjakjuzto2

Post Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:25 am

So I did something that fixed the black canvas... If you turn the glowing option up, suddenly the canvas looks how it is supposed to look. I made a YouTube video of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gkqRSWyrBU

After doing this, the color wheel is still a square, and there is no shading or lighting to speak of. However, fluidity, brush settings, and paint color settings work. It is definitely an AMD shader issue, and not a Windows Insider issue as we thought since tokyoscarab isn't using Windows Insider.

Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:25 am

EH....whatever AMD did, they really screwed the pooch there. :uhuhuh: ...this is totally broken from what your youtube video shows.
What does the sandbox look like for you?
Vervette Sandbox
Does that work?

Post Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:11 pm

Taron wrote:EH....whatever AMD did, they really screwed the pooch there. :uhuhuh: ...this is totally broken from what your youtube video shows.
What does the sandbox look like for you?
Vervette Sandbox
Does that work?

Yes, it does work. I figured out the issue! I rolled back to an old AMD driver and Verve works perfectly! I went back to a pretty old driver though (21.12.1). A more recent one would definitely work, and I will figure out which driver introduced the error.

Post Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:10 pm

Alright, so I pinpointed the exact driver version that breaks Verve: 22.7.1 https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/relea ... win-22-7-1

Drivers before this version work (with the most recent one being 22.6.1). Looking through the release notes, it appears that the "OpenGL® Optimizations" introduced in this patch might be what breaks Verve. I can finally use Verve in peace, thank you Taron and everyone else for your help!

Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:12 pm

OH, that's fantastic, Aidan! I wonder, if this might be interesting to AMD at all? Because this seems like a harsh bug in their drivers. Now that you've found the newest that still works, that would be an excellent hint for AMD to look into it!
But either way: HURRAY! :hug: :beer: :bounce:
You rock! 8-)

Post Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:03 pm

Taron wrote:OH, that's fantastic, Aidan! I wonder, if this might be interesting to AMD at all? Because this seems like a harsh bug in their drivers. Now that you've found the newest that still works, that would be an excellent hint for AMD to look into it!
But either way: HURRAY! :hug: :beer: :bounce:
You rock! 8-)

I sent in a report to AMD, so we will see how that shakes out. Also, I just ordered a drawing tablet because mouse painting sucks :hihi:
PreviousNext

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]