Verve v0.99z - discussion

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Site Admin

Post Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:19 am

Verve v0.99z - discussion

Here's a little thread for the latest and last free version before v1.0. :ugeek:

While I really want to focus now on the v1.0, I still keep finding silly little things that should be considered just a fix and therefore keep making a few little updates for v0.99z.
Among them were two bugs I've fixed this morning:
• Brush #9 BRI.HUE dial when in Multiply paint mode.
• Load/Save and a few other things would not flush the keys properly. But now they do! :roll: ...if you wouldn't want to update again, in such cases just click outside the Verve window and go back in to activate it again. Works, too. :ud:

But, yeah, maybe I'll post some examples in this thread, maybe even some videos. We shall see! 8-)

If you find anything, don't hesitate to post your findings here. :shock:

In the meantime, HAPPY PAINTING! c:!
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:42 am

Re: Verve v0.99z - discussion

Hi Taron
Don't know if is precisely a bug of ver v0.99z, but in v0.99z I opened a *.vrv file that was made in ver v0.99v.37, and it opened but almost without build up material,
Youngirl 440 Try diff compo _ opened in Verve v0.99z w LyrBump10% Frag2.jpg
Youngirl 440 Try diff compo _ opened in Verve v0.99z w LyrBump10% Frag2.jpg (35.33 KiB) Viewed 3772 times

So once opened in v0.99z I put Layer bump to 30% so it would look similar to how this *.vrv looked in ver v0.99v.37 with Layer bump of 10%.
Youngirl 440 Try diff compo _ opened in Verve v0.99z w LyrBump30% Frag2.jpg
Youngirl 440 Try diff compo _ opened in Verve v0.99z w LyrBump30% Frag2.jpg (41.98 KiB) Viewed 3772 times

Then when scaling up this *.vrv from its original ~2000x2000px to a higher size like ~4000x4000 in ver v0.99z the material gets kinda jagged with horizontal lines.
Youngirl 440 Try diff compo _ opened in Verve v0.99z w LyrBump30% Upscale3500x4000 Frag2.jpg
Youngirl 440 Try diff compo _ opened in Verve v0.99z w LyrBump30% Upscale3500x4000 Frag2.jpg (44.21 KiB) Viewed 3772 times

If you download the imgs and reproduce them one after the other you can see the difference much clearer.
Last edited by eduardobedoya on Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gonnabdh
Portfolio: https://www.deviantart.com/eduardobedoya/gallery
System: Intel Core i7-13700K, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 16GB, CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB, Windows 11
Verve Wishlist:
-LSH color pallete
-Brightness Knob

Post Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:59 am

Wow, how did you manage to do horizontal lines on Bump, I always do vertical ones :shock:
Personally, I think painting is like standing in front of the blackboard in front of the whole class, you can't make a mistake because they'll eat you.
But you have nothing to be afraid of :bow:
ignore the knobs!
System info: NVidia GTX1080, i7 6700, Win10
https://www.behance.net/pudjakjuzto2

Post Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:24 am

maybe this will help MyPaint BumpMapping struggled with it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBtf_C9Y3_k :idea:

BrienDieterle

"Do you notice the obvious grid-like squares emerging? Those are the 64x64 tiles that MyPaint uses for the data storage. I don't know of a great way to calculate slope on the edges of the tiles without having additional tiles 4 extra tiles available when rendering each tile. bummer! At least the lines are only noticeable when the texture is very smooth."

"Significant improvements. No weird tile edges showing. Lambert model improved with Oren-Nayar model (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oren%E2%80%93Nayar_reflectance_model) This pretty much gets rid of the harsh dark edges. This example has the slope amplification set to maximum (slider at 0) for a dramatic effect but isn't as useful for subtle impasto."
Last edited by pudjakjuzto on Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
System info: NVidia GTX1080, i7 6700, Win10
https://www.behance.net/pudjakjuzto2

Site Admin

Post Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:30 am

Hey Ed, yes, I have simplified a few parameters that seemed over the top, especially the bump amount. There was no need to do a crazy formula, but therefore the values slightly change. No idea why I was so crazy about those before.
Upshot: bump dial now is direct values rather than (value*0.99)^2+whatever, which was really weird. But you still can and will get to the exact values you like. Sorry if that's been a bit naughty of me.

Scaling from 2k to 4k? I don't quite understand? How or with what have you scaled this? You mean changing the crop size?

Anyway, what a beautiful reminder of how wonderful your paintings are, Ed. I sure hope you'll do some new ones again! c:! :bow: :ob

Post Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:52 pm

Thanks Pud, and Taron

Pud, I saw the video, yes, it looks he has the same issue, I found in his channel two videos...
one about the color shift that occurs with traditional pigments when they get thinner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RgHNRM ... enDieterle
the other about a sort of inverted watercolor effect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3S4dCC ... enDieterle

Taron I've resumed verve painting,
now I know the image brush with brush 2, 3, 9, 10, and all its options, specially how it can paint with material, and tint other colors with its color,
I've tested this last feature and I think it can very well emule the natural color shift that occurs with traditional pigments when they get thinner.
Also I've tested working with vri and vrs files. And I have some queries about these features.
Finally my maximum canvas resolution able to save and load is 3600 x 4500 with HQ ON, though I've not tested many layers yet.
I pretend to leverage these new conditions to allow me to enrich my painting.

I kinda regret not having bought a used gaming pc before, since the gtx 1080ti did get almost the same canvas size (3930x3709) as Pud said here...
http://www.taron.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2476
Pud that res was with HQ ON or HQ OFF?
But then again pandemia years where tough times to me, so I couldn't have bought it.

Taron, about the last portrait image, it was originally painted in v0.99v.37 in 2000x2000 approximately, then I opened it in v0.99z, pressed the crop button and set the canvas to be approximately 4000x4000, then the jagged lines appeared.

Taron, will paintings made in v0.99z or earlier version be compatible with Verve 1.0?
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gonnabdh
Portfolio: https://www.deviantart.com/eduardobedoya/gallery
System: Intel Core i7-13700K, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 16GB, CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB, Windows 11
Verve Wishlist:
-LSH color pallete
-Brightness Knob

Site Admin

Post Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:02 pm

Yes, I will have backwards compatibility for any version I'm writing with BlitzMax. V1.0 is for sure no problem. Later on, in the far future, I'm not sure, but we shall see. Old versions won't go away, though. Also if I ever have to change things for something like v2.0, I may write an export feature for the last BlitzMax version, which then should get files into whatever comes later.

Wonderful, Ed, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you're doing right now! Exciting! :hyper:
As for computers, pfffff...as much as I appreciate deeply the little computer I have right now, it's not a graphics machine, that's for sure. I'm actually amazed how well it does work with Verve as it is, but I'm really looking forward to a "real" computer again. :hihi: :rolleyes:

And, yeah, the brush images can change your world, trust me! It's so easy to work with them and you can get limitless behaviors with them. c:!

Post Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:19 am

I'm a Japanese user. The following sentences were translated from Japanese using Google Translate. I apologize if my English is incorrect.

I would like to report a bug in Verve Painter v0.99z.

- If you create a new layer and then change the alpha value of the pen tip and draw, the brightness may be darker than the color you set.

- When multiple custom brushes are created, a preview image different from the selected custom brush is displayed on the canvas.

Report your request.

I thought that the previous version of Verve Painter, v0.99w0.9, had fewer problems and was more stable than v0.99z.
It would be better to make the stable version 0.99w09 and past versions available for download as free versions.
I think it's good for users who are starting Verve, or for users who want to use Verve long-term.
Since it is said that updates for the free version of Verve will be discontinued, I think users will want to have a stable older version.
I would like to be able to download just the executable file from this website, Google Drive, Github, etc.

(The text below is the original)

日本のユーザーです。以下の文章はGoogle翻訳で日本語から翻訳しました。もし英語がおかしい箇所があったらすみません。

Verve Painter v0.99z の不具合の報告をします。

・レイヤーを新規作成してから、ペン先のアルファ値を変更して描きこむと設定した色より明度が暗くなっていることがある。

・カスタムブラシを複数作成した場合、選択したカスタムブラシと異なるプレビュー画像がキャンバス上に表示される。

要望を報告します。

Verve Painterはv0.99zよりも、以前のv0.99w0.9の方が不具合が少なく、動作が安定していたと思いました。
安定したバージョンの0.99w09や過去のバージョンも、無料版としてダウンロードできるようにした方が、これから新しく
Verveを始めるユーザーにとってや、Verveを長期的に運用したいユーザーにとって良いのではないかと思います。
Verveの無料版の更新を終了するとのことですから、尚更ユーザーは安定した過去のバージョンが欲しいのではないかと思います。
実行ファイルだけでもこのホームページ上や、Google Driveや、Github等でダウンロードできるようにしてほしいと思います。

Site Admin

Post Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:42 am

Hi youdai,
thank you for reporting those bugs. There are a few more, too, which slipped through, but all of those are either fixed already or will be fixed in the coming v1.0. However, once I'm done with the commercial version, which then should be bug-free, I will prepare a free version of it and post it for direct download.

• would you mind showing me the "new layer, darker color" issue? Because I can't see that happening here.
• custom brush image selection display is already fixed in the new version. That's a very old bug, by the way.
• v099w08 doesn't work on many graphics cards and had severe troubles. I don't even remember a .w09 version?! :? Maybe I had fixed some GL issues there. Must still be on my broken machine, but I still have to grab the data from it.
• one more bug that was fixed was using dial widgets when the GUI is hidden. This is also fixed.

The commercial version of Verve will come in a few months. Currently we are in the middle of a big move, which is why I can't be active for a week or two. But I'll take a look at everything and see that even the free version runs smoothly!

Thank you, again, and please do show me that layer problem. I'm very curious!

(DeepL.com translation...) :shrug:
youdaiさん、こんにちは、
バグを報告してくれてありがとう。他にもいくつか、すり抜けたバグがあるのですが、それらはすべてすでに修正済みか、あるいは近日公開予定のv1.0で修正される予定です。しかし、商用版のバグがなくなったら、無料版を用意して直接ダウンロードできるようにするつもりだ。

- 新しいレイヤーで描画色が濃くなる」問題の例を見せていただけますか?ここではそのようなことは起こりません。
- カスタムブラシの画像選択表示は、新しいバージョンですでに修正されています。ちなみに、これは非常に古いバグです。
- v099w08は多くのグラフィックカードで動作せず、深刻なトラブルがありました。.w09のバージョンも覚えていない!多分、私はそこでいくつかのGLの問題を修正したのだろう。まだ私の壊れたマシンにあるはずだが、そこからデータを取り出さなければならない。
- もう一つ修正されたバグは、GUIが隠れているときにダイヤルウィジェットを使うことだった。これも修正された。

Verveの製品版は数ヶ月後に登場する予定です。現在、私たちは大きな引っ越しの真っ最中で、そのため1、2週間は活動できません。でも、すべてを見て、無料版でもスムーズに動くようにします!

レイヤーの問題、ぜひ見せてください。とても興味があります!

Post Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:35 pm

thank you for your reply.

I tried the same behavior with all versions of Verve Painter that I own.
From the top, the images are versions v0.99v04, v0.99w09, v0.99z (with bugs), and v0.99z (without bugs).

After creating a new layer, I drew on that layer.
The layer settings are mode[=], and the alpha value etc. of the layer settings are not changed.
I drew the lines from top to bottom with the alpha value of the pen tip at 100%, 75%, 50%, and 25%.
You can see that only v0.99z has darker colors.
By the way, this phenomenon did not occur even in v0.99z if a new layer was not created.

Operating PC environment

CPU:Intel Core i7 860S
Main Memory: 8GB
GPU: nVidia GeForce GT740 (2GB)

This has nothing to do with the problem, but this v0.99v04 has a different writing style from the current Verve, so I use it along with v0.99w09.

(The above text was translated from Japanese to English using Google Translate.The following text is the original Japanese text)

返信ありがとうございます。

自分が所持している全てのバージョンのVerve Painterで同様の動作を試してみました。
画像は一番上から順番にバージョン v0.99v04、v0.99w09、v0.99z(不具合発生あり)、v0.99z(不具合発生なし)になります。

新規レイヤーを作成した後に、そのレイヤーに対して描き込みました。
レイヤーの設定はmode[=]で、レイヤーの設定のアルファ値等は変更していません。
線を上から順にペン先のアルファ値を100%、75%、50%、25%の順番で描き込みました。
v0.99zだけが色が暗くなっていってしまっているのが分かると思います。
ちなみにv0.99zでも新規レイヤーを作成しない場合には、この現象は発生しませんでした。

動作PC環境

CPU:Intel Core i7 860S
Main Memory:8GB
GPU:nVidia GeForce GT740(2GB)