Taron's little gallery

Showcase your Verve Art to all ages!

Forum rules
Only post Jpeg images less that 256kb in size, or post a link instead! Keep it family friendly here, please!

Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:25 am

Re: Taron's little gallery

Having some more fun again...
alien_c.jpg
alien_c.jpg (195.67 KiB) Viewed 15446 times
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:43 pm

Hey. Some nice ones, and some really crazy ones indeed! I noticed on that green landscape from Jan 3rd it looks like a creepy hollow cyan skull/head floating away from us in the stream, view into its cranium from above. I think there's a little speck making a nose there which forces the association on me.

Site Admin

Post Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:53 am

Hmmm, that does sound unsettling, but far more disturbing to me is the following... it's been a while since I tried carefully replicating an old foto, but Verve really isn't for that sort of thing, I believe, compared to what I did in "Canvarion" back in the day. Verve is a true painting App and not the sort of pixel placer. Maybe I'll add a few different kind of paint modes for that sort of thing eventually, but- if anything- this was an interesting exercise.

THANKS FOR THE COMMENT, though! Refreshing to get some activity and fun feedback again. :D

Just so you know how bad...
reference:

my sad attempt:
1920nude_03_sobad.jpg
1920nude_03_sobad.jpg (248.07 KiB) Viewed 15434 times

Post Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:33 am

I don't know. The upper torso and pillow look believable to me, reproduced at the same scale as the original photo. I always have trouble with faces from this era, they often seem bizarre to me even on the photo. Maybe the biggest issue here is a lack of sharp edges? I think the problems are probably more in the experience of painting it than in the eventual result, which should of course reflect somewhat in the outcome if you don't "feel it" very well. Getting too pedantic with photo copying is bound to be a technical exercise on many levels though, so I'm not sure if it's the ideal thing to judge by. I can imagine that blending and smoothing might be tricky in terms of getting predictable results? Applying soft glazes and shades? Also what I found before was that any tight stroke would inevitably end up bleeding over the area or line I was after, so it was hard to nibble down tiny spots or contours without manic adjustment back and forth. Especially if any bump height was used.

Still, I struggle with these things in any application, so I can't say I'm totally in your head yet. I would also have a disastrous time trying to paint something elaborate with physical media where you need to control so many steps at once to avoid creating a mess. In that sense it might indeed be more realistic... I was meaning to do some color portraits last month, but none so far.

It's great that you're open to trying so many different things in any case! Good test.

Site Admin

Post Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:48 pm

"Absolutely" on pretty much everything you've written. ;)
Those faces come across quite weird, puffy and somehow not so pretty. Closer observation can reveal a different kind of beauty again, but even once you've found it, zoom out and it will look just as awkward as before. Interesting.

Verve is really a different kind of painter, pushing you to go at it with a different mindset. Digital Art so often is aiming at tight reproductions, some kind of precision that seems to ask someone to noodle on details. Verve throws you out of this kind of obsessing and suggests a more lively approach, demanding control in the artistic mind and not so much in the pixels.
I'm totally conditioned to the latter, though, which makes this the perfect kind of challenge to make me grow, I think. I sometimes see these oil paintings that just show the artist knows where what has to be to create the right kind of sense. I want that, I want to understand that, too! :geek:

Anyway, I most likely will accommodate a bit more of pixel level control, as I suggested earlier, but I don't want it to distract me from learning how to express and impress more freely.

Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:34 pm

Some Daily Sketches...
Topic: Dessert Memories

Topic: The Twister

Topic: The Lightbox

Topic: Teacher & Student

Topic: The Driver

Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:14 pm

Ohh, ahh! Daily sketches. I should make those. I think it's been four years since I had a small streak of those for two months maybe. Don't consider this a promise though, but I'm always impressed when someone sticks with those things.

The dessert image is pretty. Has nice colors. The driver reminds me of http://www.enviro-bear.com/

Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:44 am

OMG, oh my god... oooo mmm that is SOOO bad, hahahahaha! Holy, wowsa... :o Unbelievable, yet, fascinating. :lol:

But, yep, indeed it's a fantastic exercise and I'm thrilled to pick it back up, too. I made hundreds of those some years ago and then it just... stopped. Had good fun on the forum, too, back then (cgtalk). Right now it's kind of dead there and I'm not sure, if I should be surprised about that or that it still exists to begin with, but I'm excited to help seeing this come back to life again! You should join in, too! It's good fun and good spirits, too. :D

http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=130

Anyway, here's my latest...quick and dirty, but I just woke up and felt like it:

Darkness Falls

Site Admin

Post Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:16 pm

This is an experiment with only using black and [Shift]+[Ctrl] flattening, which really is an "averaging" of material amounts. You can get some very beautiful shading effects that way, very ink like or even some water color like effects as well.

With the right kind of settings, this can be enormous fun. Just check out the interface here... mostly Fluidity, Fluid Smudge and the color's opacity. I added a few white highlights at the end, that's why it's white, but just have it on black and you'll see. If anything, this is yet some more reason for me to make a youtube clip...

average05.jpg
average05.jpg (213 KiB) Viewed 15415 times

average04.jpg
average04.jpg (250.54 KiB) Viewed 15415 times

average02b.jpg
average02b.jpg (120.58 KiB) Viewed 15415 times

average06.jpg
average06.jpg (249.4 KiB) Viewed 15415 times

Site Admin

Post Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:42 pm

Another fun example. Man, it's great fun to sketch that way. Doing the pseudo-inking with the averaging as smudging and the coloring the beast from behind. Look at the layers to get the idea...

average07.jpg
average07.jpg (242.07 KiB) Viewed 15413 times

...and one more
average08.jpg
average08.jpg (177.12 KiB) Viewed 15411 times
PreviousNext

Return to Your Artworks