Everybody's First Doodle

Showcase your Verve Art to all ages!

Forum rules
Only post Jpeg images less that 256kb in size, or post a link instead! Keep it family friendly here, please!

Post Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:26 am

Re: Everybody's First Doodle

my first real attempt at making something...

Site Admin

Post Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:53 am

Sweeet, Tod, looks like a perfect background for a cute animation, a game or even a puppet theater or so. Very deep colors, it almost feels stereo3d somehow. Great first doodle for sure! :D
WELCOME aboard, of course! :)
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:35 pm

I came upon Verve from link on CGTalk forum.

Absolutely stunning, easy to use (to a very large degree) and veery handy painting tool. I immediately picked it as my favorite 2D tool from now. I am mainly doing 3D/CG but but in free time I am trying to learn foundation art by myself - draw with pencil, paints, spray-paint. I adore look of old-school drawings, paintings. They look superior to vectorized, sterile digital art of your usual everyday.

Verve got me hooked up with a look you get - it really resembles paintings. And it is even possible to draw with mouse.

Image is drawn from photo reference with some free creative changes to dressing, some elements and so on.

It was pure joy to play around with Verve. This is genious - to apply fluid dynamics in more like 2D engine to emulate oil or whatever colors :roll:
How did you even came up with something like this?
Not an expert in 2D softwares but haven't seen or heard of any similar ones before.
Attachments
female character (April 4th 2014).jpg
(Unknown conceptual female character painting for experimental in a middle-to-long run project "HeartCrab"

...Where horror and supernatural blends into drama.
Some of my leaked and free from secrecy paintings, sketches, concept-art for one hidden story.)
female character (April 4th 2014).jpg (186.67 KiB) Viewed 9549 times

Site Admin

Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:45 pm

That's VERY cool! You didn't do THAT with a MOUSE!?!? Anyway, it looks pretty darn good! :)
I should add some Lore to the INFO, :lol:, but the briefest version: Wanted to try writing fluid dynamics directly for graphics hardware, made a "sandbox", worked immediately, felt amazing, called it "Verve" and voila! :D
All the while I kept wondering, too, why I've never seen anything like it either. Turns out some have tried, but maybe the hardware wasn't good enough then or what ever caused their hold-up, no idea?! Even now it is tough, because many people still have older cards and Verve crawls on such machines.

However, WELCOME to the forum, Intars! :D (check out the Vervatar Challenge, too!)

Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:32 pm

This app blew my mind, it's so refreshing and fun and just different from what we've all seen

Be careful, adobe will buy you soon :D

Site Admin

Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:46 pm

Man, you've got style! I'm excited about your thread already, seeing how you'll get more and more comfortable with Verve! :D ...Sweeet! 8-)
I've heard that a bunch of times already, haha, but I doubt they'd do that, hehe...who knows. Thus far we're all safe! ;)

Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:17 pm

Yes, I did that with mouse, I don't have currently any tablets at home.
Yet still, felt no problems in doing so.
Kinda of planning in near future to look for those new Cintiq Companion tablets though.
Don't know if verve may work on those.

But yes, currently I have mouse. And I am still only about to dive deeper into verve. I was last few months thinking lots about which 2D app to pick for drawing, sketching, painting stuff. Gimp, Photoshop, Krita, Paint Tool SAI?
Than I got upon verve and that's it!

Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:19 pm

Mr.Taron, you did an advancement in creative world with many code lines you wrote behind the scenes.

Site Admin

Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:26 pm

Do not get a Cintiq Companion or any of those things. Get a Wacom Intuos, maybe even a used one, if it's a matter of money, but you'll be far better off than with one of those tablet PC thingies. I've got a Cintiq Companion and I'm always thrilled the most when I get to turn it off! :lol:
Verve runs on it, but the fluids are too slow, the card in there is too weak (Intel HD 4000). Even under ideal conditions, using photoshop or artrage, it doesn't quite feel right and lags a bit behind, which feels unpleasant. Somehow having a tablet next to you and work on a monitor is a lot faster, it's still a much better connection.

Ahaha, that's so awesome, though, thank you, Intars! And Verve is really still just a baby. I'll add a lot more stuff to it, much nicer brushes and features that should make it feel a bit more complete very soon. :)

Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:11 pm

All this hype about Cintiq Companions and just to discover that they got shitty Intel HD 4000?
Holy breads and pies - talk about the marketing mambo jambo. Their homepage images captivated me.

To be honest, I didn't quite looked into graphics cards or skipped through other specifics. Display sizes, battery life, sensitivity, OS, RAM and so on.
But that is ridiculous. Those Intel HD are crap!

What they are good at then as they currently stand? Storyboarding on the fly, sketching only?
PreviousNext

Return to Your Artworks