Pai's Doodling Updated at the bottom

Showcase your Verve Art to all ages!

Forum rules
Only post Jpeg images less that 256kb in size, or post a link instead! Keep it family friendly here, please!

pai

Post Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:58 am

Pai's Doodling Updated at the bottom

ok, I knew I can't wait for tomorrow morning to play a little. So here it is. My first try. Very cool. Still need to get used to keyboards commands. Just some abstract image again.

waves.jpg
waves.jpg (136.12 KiB) Viewed 17115 times
Last edited by pai on Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin

Post Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:27 am

Re: My First Try

YAY! The first of hopefully many images to come and it shows immediately the various paint qualities. Very dynamic, too! :D

I think the most important keys are [Shift], [Control] and [Alt], because they're really the heart of the hotkeys.

Here's my most used, I think:
1.[Shift] being the king of keys here. I love smudging and [Shift] does just that. Lay down color and then shift blend it into where you want it to blend. Fantastic for shading and coloring alike.

2.[Control] is the eraser, but it also pushes the color around, making it like a shift with the fade at the same time. It does not immediately eliminate all paint, but gradually removes it so you can get rid of some fat paint areas, too. It makes a good blending tool, too.

3.[Alt]+[Control] is zooming and I do that quite a bit, too. [Alt]+[Shift] is panning and that goes hand in hand with the zoom.

4.[Shift]+[Control] evens out the paint amount, which helps to control the thickness of certain strokes that just stick out too much. I like using it quite a bit.

5.[Cursor keys] left and right controlling the fluidity of the paint. I use those very often.

Since I've added layers [F9] - [F12] have jumped up in my favorite key list. I often just temporarily add a layer for small additions or experiments, even to make a quick sketch of what I want to add next.

But that's almost all in terms of importance. I'm sure you'll get a hang of it quickly. 8-) ...it definitely looks that way! :!:

Oh, by the way, do you want to post this to the thread" The First Doodle"? I've prepared this one for everybody and it would be great to have a second post there, too!
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:57 pm

Ah, some practical tips and guidelines from the guru himself! That's actually very helpful and inspiring, pointing out a possible recommended starting path instead of getting completely lost in the toolset. It wasn't a problem with the very early versions, but nowadays I just can't remember all the options and I even forgot about fluidity/viscosity controls. I'll try exercising some of this when I get back to my dear tablet, for sure!

pai: A very brave and wild early test there! I haven't really dared do much with a multitude of colors myself, as their blending and mixing tend to scare me... Monochrome palette has some sort of automatic style that masks clumsy design and technique issues, but it's certainly limiting and kind of boring compared to full-spectrum carnage. I like those popcorn bubble shapes up top!

pai

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:46 am

haha, I was just having fun with those bubbles on top. I have a question, maybe it's my Wacom pen setup, I can't get my cursor or the pen makes it smaller lines or smaller size, it stays on the same size of the brush? something I did wrong ?

Taron, would you point out what is wrong with my Wacom pen setting when using Verve ? Thanks in advance.

pai

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:58 am

Re: Pai's Doodling Updated at the bottom

I don't know what I pressed but it came up this from the program :D

nov1313_01a.jpg
nov1313_01a.jpg (206.51 KiB) Viewed 17104 times

Site Admin

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:45 am

Isn't that GREAT?! I love that stuff, because you can literally make usable patterns that way! It's like a pattern-designer! :lol: ... 8-) (I meant for that to happen)
When you zoom out you see the mirror-repeating image. I figured it's really cool to keep it and always have fun with it myself, but I plan on making that an option, if I can. I certainly did not want to lose it.

If your computer's keyboard has a numpad (some laptops don't), the +/- keys double or halve the zoom. But mostly you'd use [Alt]+[Ctrl] and the mouse/pen to zoom in and out freely. I'm sure that's what you've done. Hit [Home] to reset the view to normal! If you want to save the pattern, just hit [Home] and then [numpad -] once. Then you can save the image and you can resize it in photoshop to get a nice repeating pattern. I'd imagine working at 500x500 would be ideal for that. Hit [F2] to toggle through the resolutions until you are at 500x500, the small square, and start painting away... :)

Pen pressure not working? key [w] should toggle pen pressure for size on and off. I should have put that up there as one of my favorite keys, because I use that very, very often.
[Space] to adjust brush size
[w] to toggle pen pressure

I often draw finer lines with [w] pen pressure on and then blend with [w] pen pressure off at the brush size that works best for the area.

Let me know, if you're still having trouble. We'll figure this out!
I'll also have a look at that part of the code today, because Ken wanted minimum size for the brush size pressure and he's perfectly right!

But, Pai, isn't it crazy how "real" this thing looks. Feels like I'm looking at some indigenous wall painting designs. Just wild. :shock: :D

@drpetter: I'm here for you, this whole thing is for all of you, and I'm thrilled when ever I can give advice. :ugeek: ...post something and tell me, if something's bugging you and I'll squirm and gringe and hope to have an answer! :lol:
But that is the beauty of a forum. Everybody learns through everybody's experiences. Especially me, of course, hehe. :oops:

pai

Post Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:34 am

Thanks so much again, Taron, for giving me all that useful tips on the control, I need to play and get used to them. I love it, so fun to play with it. Thanks a millllioooooooon :)

Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:55 pm

Pai! Where are you? We miss you! :|
I really hope everything is alright... anyway, just thought about you. :)

pai

Post Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:42 pm

Hi everyone,

I haven't been touched this awesome creation from Taron for so long. haha..I confessed :P

So today I downloaded the latest version again and try it out. Omg ! I forgot how to blend color in this program. However, what i recalled from the first download, I really like how the interface has developed so much. I like it a lot. :)

Ok, here is just a test playing with those buttons again. I forgot how to blend colors together in here. :P Anyone help ?
Attachments
waves_jul0714.jpg
waves_jul0714.jpg (250.96 KiB) Viewed 15823 times

Site Admin

Post Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:56 pm

YAY, PAI! Welcome back!!! :D
Hold [Shift] while painting to smudge colors!
Hold [Shift]+[Ctrl] while painting to "average" colors, which is a different kind of blending.

Very easy! ;)
Also, you might want to look through the docs to see what else is new! :) ...but don't hesitate to ask!
Next

Return to Your Artworks