DanRileyCG's Sketchbook

Showcase your Verve Art to all ages!

Forum rules
Only post Jpeg images less that 256kb in size, or post a link instead! Keep it family friendly here, please!

Post Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:50 pm

DanRileyCG's Sketchbook

Hey guys,

First off, thank you so much Taron! This program is amazing and you're a genius for having made it! Verve blows away Painter 2018 and every other painting program out there! This honestly feels like real paint. Here's my first piece using Verve. I'm still trying to learn it, and I'm sure I'll have questions along the way.

Out of curiosity, can you move the contents of a layer around the canvas? I couldn't find a way to do that. I'm talking akin to 'move' (v) in photoshop.

Thanks guys,
Dan

Site Admin

Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:09 am

Re: DanRileyCG's Sketchbook

That's beautiful, Dan!
Try [shift] + [v] to activate MOVE. You can end it again with [v]! ;)

WELCOME TO THE FORUM, of course, and thanks for everything you've said! Goes down like butter! :D :beer:
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:47 am

Taron wrote:That's beautiful, Dan!
Try [shift] + [v] to activate MOVE. You can end it again with [v]! ;)

WELCOME TO THE FORUM, of course, and thanks for everything you've said! Goes down like butter! :D :beer:

Thanks Taron!!! Much appreciated! I love your Verve videos on youtube and am amazed by your techniques (I love your art too!!)! I love how you use the high fluidity to start some of your paintings. I'm trying to learn how to do that like you! I noticed you haven't released any videos of Verve in 3 years or so. Are you going to make more? I found them super helpful and inspiring! For some of the videos where you aren't as descript about what you're doing I find myself watching and rewatching trying to figure out how you're achieving what you're doing. :D

I'm really happy to get to know you guys here on the forums! I'm super excited to be part of this awesome community!

Site Admin

Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:36 am

Thanks, Dan, and you're absolutely right. It's high time that I make new videos again. But I really need to fix the GUI first. The reason I stopped making vids was because of the GUI. I didn't want to show it that way.
Anyway, you are joining in with a splash and I can't wait to see more from you! c:!

Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:27 am

That is a very nice painting!
I love it.

About shortcuts.
I made an UI Cheat sheet two years ago.
Well some mistakes are in there and it's old, but basics are there:
http://www.taron.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2300
Silly me did it in photoshop - nothing handy to make quick changes or updates.
There is not much place anyway.

When I am searching for something special and don't find it there, I'll go to two places:
Info manual
http://www.taron.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6
and Download page
http://www.taron.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4

I am on Windows Firefox. To activate the keyword search, I use CTRL+F.
To be honest, I tried this for "move", as I am not able to enter two searching words in there, to find layer move and didn't find it either.
EDIT: I chose "layer" as searching word and immediately found the hotkey.
Searching the download page can't harm as not all features are documented in the manual section.
In the download section, taron lists all his changes for new versions.

But I wasn't able to get Googles site search working for this forum. But this discussion is more for the community area.
Can't wait to see next pic.
Last edited by Knacki on Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram

Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:59 am

Nice Image - nice to see some more artworks in the next time from you ... c:!
my system: intel7 - 2600k, gtx 970, dualboot windows 7 64 bit / ubuntu 14.04 lts
my deviantartpage: http://zeropainter.deviantart.com/gallery
my youtube channel: zeropainter - ok, there are only 2-3 very short videos

Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:40 am

Knacki wrote:That is a very nice painting!
I love it.

About shortcuts.
I made an UI Cheat sheet two years ago.
Well some mistakes are in there and it's old, but basics are there:
http://www.taron.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2300
Silly me did it in photoshop - nothing handy to make quick changes or updates.
There is not much place anyway.

When I am searching for something special and don't find it there, I'll go to two places:
Info manual
http://www.taron.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6
and Download page
http://www.taron.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4

I am on Windows Firefox. To activate the keyword search, I use CTRL+F.
To be honest, I tried this for "move", as I am not able to enter two searching words in there, to find layer move and didn't find it either.
EDIT: I chose "layer" as searching word and immediately found the hotkey.
Searching the download page can't harm as not all features are documented in the manual section.
In the download section, taron lists all his changes for new versions.

But I wasn't able to get Googles site search working for this forum. But this discussion is more for the community area.
Can't wait to see next pic.

Thanks for the kind words and all of the wonderfully helpful stuff Knacki!! That cheat sheet is amazing-- I downloaded it immediately! Thanks for the links, I actually already copied Taron's main posts from those two threads in an attempt to figure everything out. I did initially search specifically for my issue but somehow I overlooked it. Derp. My bad! :D

Zeropainter wrote:Nice Image - nice to see some more artworks in the next time from you ... c:!

Thanks Zeropainter! I'll be post TONS more as time goes!!

Here's my next quickie!!

I have a small list of notes:

Possible bug: When you merge a layer, or layers and undo the undone layers seem to vanish and appear to be gone forever unless you've saved the image.

Wishlist:
• ability to save / name brushes and brush presets.. this way I can fine tune all of the peramaters for a look I like and switch to it very quickly on the fly.
• Ability to input numbers directly into program when resizing canvas size. It'd just make it so much faster.
• Ability to change layer opacity (in my reading I wasn't able to find anyway to do this, I find this really helpful for when I paint over or under sketch lines.

I'm sure I'll think of more, that's all for now. I still can't thank Taron enough for this program, I feel bad evening making suggestions. P.S. sorry if something I suggested has already been addressed, I'm in a rush atm and can't search all over.

Thanks!!

Site Admin

Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:24 am

Just real quick (as I'm literally falling asleep right now)...layer visibility (the opacity you likely mean) is the very last dial to the right of the layer panel! The one before is a kind of material opacity, which depends on the amount of material as it makes it more transparent. So..check the layer panel dials (bump, glossiness, diffuse, metal, opacity, visibility)!
GREAT STYLE! :ob

Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:17 pm

Taron wrote:Just real quick (as I'm literally falling asleep right now)...layer visibility (the opacity you likely mean) is the very last dial to the right of the layer panel! The one before is a kind of material opacity, which depends on the amount of material as it makes it more transparent. So..check the layer panel dials (bump, glossiness, diffuse, metal, opacity, visibility)!
GREAT STYLE! :ob

Oh awesome! Thanks Taron!! Sorry for over-looking that! Thanks also for the kind words! :)

Post Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:09 am

Here's anther painting! I set out to create a cute stylized girl. I'm not sure that I succeeded-- is she cute or scary? I'm having fun learning though, so that's good!!

Next

Return to Your Artworks