Crop Bug

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:35 pm

Crop Bug

Hello all,

Taron, thank you for the deliriously fun program. I'm afraid I have an exasperating bug to report though. Sometimes when I shift+[F2] to crop an image, Verve does not remember the position of the preview rectangle, only the size, and when I commit to it with LMB or shift+[F2], it is as if the crop rectangle was pinned to the left side. Considering crop can't be undone... :shock: :o :(

As far as I can tell, this happens when the image has been flipped (horizontally or vertically). And that provides a workaround, except that files that were saved flipped open-up flipped the next day, and well, Verve remembers that part better than I do. :shrug:

I hope that was clear enough and helpful. Unfortunately I have to go to work and postpone splashing coloring around :(
System Info: NVidia Gforce GTX 970, AMD FX-8350 8core (4.00 GHz), Windows 10
The main thing is not to panic.

Site Admin

Post Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:53 pm

Re: Crop Bug

That's a truly weird one, Hics....hmmm...have you actually been Hiccups Voice or shall we imagine this is what you sound like?!? :D ...either way, both are fun to imagine! :hyper:
Anyhow, yeah, I don't know, I can't yet reproduce the issue. I've tried flipping it in both ways, cropping, re-cropping, flipping while in crop (haha), changing border conditions (F4) just for fun, virtually doing all I could imagine and it never fails. :shrug: ...strange stuff!
You appear to have the exact same graphics card I do, so that can't possibly be the issue. I...hmm...I'm a little at a loss. I will try it a few more times, but if you find out an exact set of actions to surely come to that bug, I will happily follow your instructions and then fix it. Uhm...because this is what I love doing! :D

THANK YOU for reporting it, for sure!
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:09 am

Yeah, I've been told I sound eerily similar to the HTTYD character. :ob

That is strange though... I had noticed that we have the same graphics card :beer: ...but I really don't have to do anything special to make the bug happen. I can just open up Verve V0.99v.35, paint in each corner just to keep track, press F6, shift+F2, and try to crop anywhere. It always 'keeps' the image starting from the left hand side (originally right). Happens just the same in v.34 and v.31, I've just now verified :?

2018-06-13 (3).jpg
2018-06-13 (3).jpg (152.91 KiB) Viewed 12432 times

2018-06-13 (5).jpg
2018-06-13 (5).jpg (132.02 KiB) Viewed 12432 times

2018-06-13 (6).jpg
2018-06-13 (6).jpg (127.99 KiB) Viewed 12432 times

Cropping unflipped images simply performs as expected. You got me, man!

Site Admin

Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:18 am

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!! NOW I get it! :lol: :ud: :?
YEAH, that's idiotic, hahaha, I will fix that right away! Hahaha...funny that I've never noticed that, or that nobody has ever mentioned it, assuming nobody had noticed either?!? :shrug: :lol: :uhuhuh:
Funny stuff. I think, people are so focused on making the images bigger and bigger, they somehow hardly crop smaller (including myself), especially after mirroring, hahaha. :ud:

Thanks a lot, Hiccup! :ob

Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:34 am

Haha, great! I'm glad to be of service!

And yeah, I was following along with a Bob Ross when I first noticed it... Had my resolution doubled from the start, decided I didn't like one side as much.... blah blah I'm sure you get it.

I actually just realized you CAN crop the right side of a mirrored image... by cropping to the left. I guess I always shrink the crop window from the left side for some reason. So, it's like the crop window is looking at the unflipped original image, right? Quite interesting, haha! Again, glad I could bring it to your attention!

Site Admin

Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:18 am

Download again! 8-)
...should be fixed now! And it wasn't quite as trivial as one might think. I figured it would take like 2 minutes, but it took me easily 15. :oops:

AND I can't wait to see what you're doing there! Following along Bob Ross is in the very heart of Verve! c:!

Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:09 pm

Yaaaaay! It works! Beautiful! I am impressed. :)

I will be sure to share my dabblings in a little while. On the topic, I just can't tell you what a breath of fresh air it is to experience the "Joy of Painting" in your program as compared to trying to emulate it in Photoshop/Krita etc. Those are like... trying to ape the style with Copic markers or something. :PP :lol:

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]