Got Unique Drivers Here

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:01 pm

Got Unique Drivers Here

This might be a longshot, and to be honest my computer seems to find Verve pretty labor intensive anyway. But I respect and appreciate all the work that had to go into creating such a fine simulation of physical paint. It's something I wish Krita or other free software would make more of an effort towards - if not the process, then the result, at least, which reminds me, I also greatly appreciate that it's free (for however long that lasts). All this to say I can understand if this is too much to ask, as I'm only one person, and probably the only person who will ever face this issue, but since I don't know, I thought I'd try anyway, in the hopes I can find more cause to use this great thing in the foreseeable future.

I bought a cheepo "Parblo" tablet from a friend of mine, when he bought himself a new one, he said it was the best "budget" tablet they had because it also had pen-tilt support. I know there's nothing wrong with the tablet, and fundamentally Verve recognizes the pen, but it recognize neither pressure nor tilt. If it were just tilt I'd probably suck it up and take the hit, but it is so weird not have control over the brush size. If you saw your way, charitably, toward making upcoming versions of Verve compatible with these drivers, that would be exciting, for me at least.

Site Admin

Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:25 pm

Re: Got Unique Drivers Here

Let me go at this differently: Which Parblo tablet is it? A quick google had as 4th entry:"not working", haha, so.... that's scary to begin with.
Second thing is, I'm using "wintab" drivers, which are not specific to the tablet you use and rely on the tablet supplying the proper data to the OS. It's the vendor's responsibility to serve the OS they offer compatibility for with the right drivers. It is them, who make money with their product, not me... sort of "unfortunately", which I somehow have to content with. You might be right with the question for how long Verve even CAN be free... :shrug:

In the meantime: Welcome to the forum and thanks for asking! :beer:
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:58 pm

Thanks!

Well, I mentioned Krita, so of course I have that, and some other software, most of them seem to recognize the tablet and its functions quite well, pressure sensitivity at least, so it does seem like an application specific issue, for whatever reason that may be.

LOL - I almost forgot, it says on the back of the tablet it's an Island A609

I appreciate the help - or the helpful sentiment as it were.

Frankly I'm surprised you didn't sell or license the code to this to some big software company for them to sell or assimilate a long time ago. I remember reading how it was not your intention to keep Verve free forever, but it has been offered as such for such a long time now. On the flipside people have so many models for offering free and/or open source software to everyone else these days, (looks like Sketchbook even got in on it) it's a shame there isn't more interest in these kinds of simulations in that environment, and it would be an even bigger shame to lose the only one, because it is so cool.

What you really need either way is some kind of PR jumpstart, because this clearly does not generate enough interest as it is, and that makes no sense, since it's certainly not a qualitative issue.

Site Admin

Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:20 pm

Ah, that's a good start. It doesn't seem to support tilt from the specs. Why Verve would not recognize its pressure sensitivity I cannot tell, but it seems weird to me. Nevertheless, as I said, I use the standard wintab api and wacom most definitely send all its data perfectly well, including all tilts, even the art pen's barrel roll (tilt z).

Yep, I have never made any effort to do PR, because- frankly- Verve is still ALPHA (v0.99....). My plan has always been to get to v1.0 before actually trying to make some noise. Everything that has happened thus far was only because I posted a little demo video for my friend drpetter, hehehe, but figured that somebody else might stumble across it on youtube. Considering that, the recognition it has gotten already actually is kind of cool. But you are 100% right and THANK YOU very much! :hug:

Well, not sure how this could happen, but if I get my hands on one of these tablets, I will certainly try to see what's going on. Just, please, don't hold your breath on that... :?
I do hope, though, you get to make and share your first doodle!?! I'm always excited about those! :hyper:

Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:31 pm

Just, please, don't hold your breath on that...

I did already say I wasn't expecting anything, so if there's any forward momentum on this I will be shocked, but certainly appreciative, especially if you need a physical copy of the tablet to do it.

My plan has always been to get to v1.0 before actually trying to make some noise. Everything that has happened thus far was only because I posted a little demo video for my friend drpetter, hehehe, but figured that somebody else might stumble across it on youtube. Considering that, the recognition it has gotten already actually is kind of cool. But you are 100% right and THANK YOU very much! :hug:

Of course! :beer: It is well deserved. You know, I'm not even sure where I first heard about Verve, I think on a random blog from a Google search, and I was like "What? No..." Or maybe I was looking for a cheap alternative to Rebelle. Either way, I later saw BORODANTE talking about it, he seems like the biggest YouTuber who covered it. So yeah, obviously it's gotten some traction, but nothing close to what I would expect given the power it has.

If I had to guess why, other than maybe the reliance on graphics drivers (which as of 2019 might be a stretch anyway) I think it's probably that color/smudge glitch. I think I figured out the best way to manage that, I'm not sure if it's what you called "priming the canvas," but it certainly seems to work, though I'd still have to make some compromises. It might be too much trouble for some to figure out. Your pet preference for a bare bones UI could be part of this too, idk, both of these things might make some people feel like they have to do homework to use it properly.

I do hope, though, you get to make and share your first doodle!?! I'm always excited about those!

Ooh man, well, that might depend on whether the situation changes. Since, like I said, not having control over the flow of the brush size seems a bit crippling for me. (I might get a new tablet in the future, but I keep wondering if I should or not, since I am so low on money, and technically this one does work fine, for the most part. Also I don't know if anything else I can afford will work with Verve either. :shock: ) I am otherwise two things that are not conducive to finished products, they are "a perfectionist," c:! and "not very good" :PP

I tend to do a much greater amount of disposable practice runs than I do any attempts at polished artwork. With that said, I'm sure the least I can do is indulge your curiosity, so in the event I even come close to one I'll be sure to share it on here.

Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:59 pm

Let the term "DOODLE" inspire your courage, hahaha, it doesn't have to be anything polished, really, but it should be something you've had fun with, that's for sure. However, I'm wondering, if there isn't a different solution to getting your pressure to work for Verve, because there's no reason I can think of why it really wouldn't. Sometimes, ever so rarely, pressure fails to initialize on my system for some reason. I then have to reset the wacom drivers and all is well again immediately. If you have some sort of tablet properties app for your tablet, maybe you can look into your options?! Just an idea... :shrug:

Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:03 pm

If you have some sort of tablet properties app for your tablet, maybe you can look into your options?! Just an idea... :shrug:

Nah, not unless changing the report rate does anything.

Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:13 pm

Hmm...I would try fiddling with that, too, haha! One NEVER knows... :D

Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:20 pm

Yeah, I just did. Nothing :(

You know the weirdest thing, if I stroke my pen across the canvas it will gradually increase in size. Pressure doesn't seem to have anything to do with it though.

Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:31 pm

Oh, yes, in "mouse mode" the speed of your movement replaces pressure, if you have pressure on anything (size/opacity). If you don't want it, just turn off those! Shortcuts are [w] size and [e] opacity.
Next

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]