Trouble with Win Tab

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:58 pm

Trouble with Win Tab

I am moving bits and pieces of the tablet conversation I managed to start in Eds thread.

I asked Taron : @ Taron Speaking of Tablet apis lol I started out fresh on win 10 pro. Everything installed correctly etc. If I am using Wacom (old Intuous 3) Win Tab maintains pressure settings for all graphics programs. If I have Win Tab enabled for Verve when I start my stroke it never picks up until around an inch on the screen and then I control it as long as I can keep it moving. Pressure works but starting a stroke and not getting it where I need it from the beginning is really throwing me. If you take the pen and press down,, an inch or so to the right will show the Win Tab cursor? If I turn Win Tab off I get an entirely different behavior of course. I can start the stroke where needed but pressure doesnt affect Unless you keep the stroke moving and then it starts building up from a very thin stroke to very heavy as long as you damn near break the nib lol. Inside the wacom pressure setting it works fine. I cant do the fine detail I need to finish a current project.

Pud replied
Re: EB Verve Painter
@Tartan
I really like the wacom drivers
they can be installed and then reinstalled and finally uninstalled

I also use win10 and I also had problems with pressure
every stroke started with a dot (it was unbearable)
it helped to turn off the double-click interval

Thanks Taron and Pud.

Pud what you just said almost duplicates my problem. I tried what you suggested and turned double click off. No luck. I thought it was a scaling issue but turning it off in verves compatibility for both system and system enhanced didnt seem to help.

Taron here are the screenshots. The larger cursor on the right is the win tab

the second one shows approximately where the stroke starts from my pen. You can see a very rough approximation of distance from where the pen is in the first screenshot. Strangely on this one it built up almost immediately which is a first with this problem for me.
Screenshot - 6_17_2019 , 6_51_32 PM.jpg
Screenshot - 6_17_2019 , 6_51_32 PM.jpg (31.55 KiB) Viewed 10880 times

Screenshot - 6_17_2019 , 6_52_19 PM.jpg
Screenshot - 6_17_2019 , 6_52_19 PM.jpg (38.97 KiB) Viewed 10880 times
Motherboard -Asus Rampage IV Extreme
CPU - i7-3930k @ 3.2 GHZ (overclocked - 4.5)
Ram - 64 gigs Kingston Hyper Beast
GPU - 2 Nvidia 1080 GTX running in SLI

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread ... -sketches-)

Site Admin

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:20 pm

Re: Trouble with Win Tab

See, what troubles me right off the bet is the statement: "If I have Win Tab enabled for Verve...". That's a weird statement right away! Why would you have to enable it for Verve? Normally you just have it on for general use and it needs no specification for Verve, you know. I wonder, if you have some curious settings specified that may cause trouble?!? I would hit "RESET" on the wacom drivers and see what happens. Usually that should make everything work normal.

If you disable the wacom or wintab drivers, the tablet will work AS mouse, making Verve recognize it as such and then turn on "Mouse Mode". In that mode, any pressure sensitivity is reinterpreted mouse speed. The faster you move the mouse, the stronger "the pressure", so to say. So that is all perfectly normal. You then can turn off pressure for opacity and/or size and it would not act "funny", you know. :ugeek:

But, yeah, first time I hear of troubles with pressure like what you've described first. That's highly unusual and nothing I have any influence over. I'm asking BlitzMax's Wintab API to give me pressure and then I use it. If something doesn't give proper pressure to that standard tablet API, then it's beyond me, of course! :shrug: ...let me know, if my "reset" suggestion helped, please!
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:39 pm

You must have replied while I was editing with screenshots lol. BTW in the first the pen cursor is me pressing down while win tab cursor appears to the right.
The behavior starts after a fresh installation of wacom drivers But I was having the same problems with XP Pen Pro. The system was then wiped clean of that driver set completely and the Wacom drivers installed and the same problem. It looks like a scaling issue to me also which is why I went into Verves compatibility tab. Turning win tab on the pen still acted as a mouse once it started stroking. Except in this particular screenshot where it went heavy. I tried to reproduce and no luck. I will reset the drivers but it really should have worked from the get go off a fresh installation. It may be some other driver I am not aware of interfering.

Site Admin

Post Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:01 am

It sure is 100% weird. I know that Wacom drivers can sometimes drop for some reason, but that's when the "reset to defaults" usually instantly fixes it without having to reboot or anything. It's just a click of the button. The new Wacom I've got now thanks to pud runs beautifully, too, including with the art pen, which is awesome. I'm still on Win 7 here, though. Anyway... well, ain't much else I can say about it and virtually nothing I can do about it as much as it annoys me. :|

Keep me informed, if things settle for some reason?! :shrug:

Post Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:58 am

It is totally a scaling issue. I am using a 50 inch LG 4k tv as my monitor with a native setting of 3840 x 2160 with 200 % scale on. I have a pro 30 inch dell as a secondary monitor. Moving Verve to the dell didn't help because for some reason the scaling on the tv was also affecting Verve on the Dell. I am using a tv because I have the same issue as Pilou. My eyes are old lol With 4k on I suffer no loss in performance. I Do have Verve working now but in order to do that I had to delete the Verve settings and set the tv at 1920x1080 to match the Dell. Once I did that Verve works fine, I can see everything without squinting but I am taking a heavy performance hit because my cards operate optimally at 4k. Going in the compatibility tab didn't help but I may have missed something while I was in it and I will go back to it later after I give it a rest. The compatibility tab settings helped with Photoshop CS 6 and Sketchbook Pro. I haven't tried sculptris and Zbrush yet. To get back to my other programs I can reset back to native resolution.

Post Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:28 am

ok I took a nap, woke up and dove back into compatibilty. Here are the settings that solved it but the scaling issue is transformed and I cant read the interface easily. Maybe with binoculars lol. Taron it appears I am in the same boat as Pilou, In order for me to use Verve properly again (I didnt have these problems a few weeks ago) I have to go to 1920. I agree with Pilou that scaling the UI from within Verve itself is very important. Mainly to old blind guys :D
Screenshot - 6_17_2019 , 6_52_19 PM.jpg
Screenshot - 6_17_2019 , 6_52_19 PM.jpg (46.83 KiB) Viewed 10860 times

Site Admin

Post Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:17 am

AAAahhhhh, that is VERY interesting! Thanks, Tom!
Yeah, well, danged... the GUI needs the big push it's been begging for since years ago. I have so much of it prepared already, it's ridiculous. But, yes, I will do it.
I'm just happy you've figured it out, though, that's awesome! :ob ...now at least we know that there's something I can do something about! 8-)

Post Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:37 am

Well figuring it out is one thing on my part but I prefer to know why I had to suddenly revert to such measures. Because prior to this everything was working correctly without having to adjust compatibility. I am going to take this hard drive off line for about a week and do a fresh install of the OS. Then the first 2 programs I will put on the computer will be wacom and verve. I already know that it will work from the get go. Then I am going to start loading up my other programs starting with Norton and frequent back ups. At some point if I load up everything I expect everything to go buggy again. I just need to pinpoint when and why. lol

Site Admin

Post Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:04 am

Oh dear, if you have it running ok now, you might want to postpone that until the need arises again?! "Never change a running system" is one of my favorite sayings! :lol: :geek:
...but I do understand that desire for sure!

Post Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:38 am

Heh you misunderstand and I didn't fully explain :) I am keeping this hard drive intact and will install on a new hard drive. I can set it for a double boot and jump to this one when needed. :D

Next

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]