First painting - still life study

Showcase your Verve Art to all ages!

Forum rules
Only post Jpeg images less that 256kb in size, or post a link instead! Keep it family friendly here, please!

Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:14 am

First painting - still life study

This was a study (my first actual painting using Verve Painter). My goal here was to learn the software and use a traditional painting as a study/reference. I chose this painting by Carol Marine, (whom I admire as an artist -- check out her work!) -- I purchased this painting from her and it sits on my desk next to me -- so I thought, "why not study this artwork?" My goal was not to perfectly copy it.. but rather learn the software and control the paint -- along with studying how she applied her brush strokes. It was a fun exercise -- and I LOVE the software!.. it does an amazing job on mimicking the 'digital impasto' look that I am drawn to for my traditional paintings and I can't wait to experiment more with this!

Chad
Attachments
carol_marine_study_01_FINAL_SM.jpg
carol_marine_study_01_FINAL_SM.jpg (203.97 KiB) Viewed 25677 times
carol_marine_study_compare.jpg
carol_marine_study_compare.jpg (196.39 KiB) Viewed 25677 times

Site Admin

Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:46 am

Re: First painting - still life study

:D BEAUTIFUL :D
Thank you, Chad! I'm stoked about your painting and your message alike! From the first moment I was hoping a traditional painter was trying out Verve to let me know, if I'm totally nuts or just a little nuts for being so ecstatic about the way it feels, but mostly just to see if Verve presents a more exciting approach to digital painting for artists with traditional experience. I can't tell you how happy you're making me! :D
Really, Verve is still in its infancy and I'm so excited to take it to every next level. My dream is that eventually it will provide a kind of familiar flexibility that transcends the digital medium almost entirely. Not so much to "simulate" real painting, but to have all the power of those physics combine with the digital powers, you know.
Posts, messages and examples like yours really give me a great deal of drive! So thank you very much already, yet, I can't wait to see more from you! :)
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:35 pm

Excellent "mise en abyme" ! 8-)
Is beautiful that please without concept!
http://moiscript.weebly.com/ https://schmoll8.wixsite.com/magicavox
Latop: Geforce GTX 950M, Intel Quad Core i7, Windows 10, 8 Gigas, 2.4ghz

Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:38 pm

Taron: Thank you for the reply (and kind words) !

I've been doing digital painting for a long time -- and I'm also an active traditional artist, currently focusing on landscapes (oils). Plein Air magazine recently interviewed me for a story that they are publishing in July.. with the focus being on Digital Landscapes and how it can be used as a tool.. just like traditional media. (and with that said.. I plan on using this software to further explore this!)

I have been using a combination of Painter 12, Art Rage and Photoshop for my digital tools.. and when I saw/heard about what you have been creating -- I had to try it! (love your videos and other works that people have been posting, by the way!) -- very inspiring! You are an amazingly talented dude! :)

In regards to the software: I just love it! I was hooked right away -- been 'doodling on it' for days now! ..and then wanted to apply that to an actual work (one of your videos mentioned possibly reproducing the works of traditional paintings -- and that inspired me to give that a try. It was a great exercise is trying to match the traditional look.. varying the amount of thick paint vs thin.. glossiness, etc. I plan on doing more studies like this! :)

Here is a 'timelapse' .gif that shows various stages of the painting process:
https://plus.google.com/photos/108784530106454553743/albums/5440770786198109809/6020356178767030770?banner=pwa&pid=6020356178767030770&oid=108784530106454553743

Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:47 pm

Pilou: Thank you for the reply!

Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:08 pm

** Does anyone know how to post images without the scroll bars? (i see that some people have full sized images on their posts)?

thanks!

-cg

Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:44 pm

scroll bar is not a problem, if you click on the picture it opens in full size.

For direct full size picture, you will have to use an external hosting picture service. There are many.

Very nice painting, by the way

jim

Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:21 pm

Phew, this study turned out very well!! :shock: Super cool Chadwgreene!
i also always enjoy to sneak a peek at peoples workplace :D
... We should have a thread for that? ;)

For image hosting, try:
http://imgur.com/ for fullscreen
or
http://postimg.org for thumbnails
Specs: Intel Core i7-990X Extreme Edition : NVIDIA GeForce GTX580 : 12 GB DDR3 1333 MHz : Windows 7 64bit

Site Admin

Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:34 pm

Hahaha, jim, that's a nice idea!
"Reveal your creative sanctum", so to say. Go ahead and start a thread like that on the community forum! ;)
Love the idea!
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:37 am

If anyone is interested.. I was recently interviewed for the July issue of Plein Air Magazine -- I was featured in the Artist Profile section.. regarding my artwork and techniques (digital and traditional) ..doing what I can to evangelize digital painting as a respected form of art! I look forward to using Verve painter for future paintings!

Here is the article, on my blog: http://cg2art.blogspot.com/2014/06/interviewarticle-published-in-plein-air.html
Next

Return to Your Artworks