DrPetter scribbles

Showcase your Verve Art to all ages!

Forum rules
Only post Jpeg images less that 256kb in size, or post a link instead! Keep it family friendly here, please!

Post Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:10 am

DrPetter scribbles

I'm behind on the update curve, but trying some basic things with one of the builds. It's only moderately usable on the smallest canvas here, with my crummy laptop. I don't dare to start creating more layers.

Initially I had the idea of doing some kind of confectionary, since yesterday I randomly came upon a nice chocolate brush, but now I seem to have changed the spray dot size somehow and can't get it back to what I had... Probably need to study the documentation a bit more. It's so much fun to create abstract patterns though!

Am I doing the attachments correctly? I feel like such a forum dinosaur... back in my day there were no automatic things like that, and you'd upload images elsewhere with a good old img tag to embed it into the post.
Attachments
torn2.jpg
torn2.jpg (86.39 KiB) Viewed 28836 times
torn1.jpg
torn1.jpg (105.31 KiB) Viewed 28836 times
donut.jpg
donut.jpg (125.53 KiB) Viewed 28836 times

Site Admin

Post Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:29 am

Re: DrPetter scribbles

Oh man. :shock:
...those are so gorgeous! :|
I love the first one very much, as it looks almost like a photo real chocolate flour stain of sorts... just so lovely. :o <YUMM>

All three of them look like a piece of art together, a series that hangs together on the wall...kitchen preferably. :P
The color choices, oh man, you have such eerily amazing instincts. Just brilliant to have complimentary colors in such a subtle way, as if they were in peace, haha. I want to keep staring at them.

Thanks for posting these and THANKS for posting altogether! But those are a real treat right away! :D
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:02 am

Ah, that's true actually! Rich cocoa and flour mixed, then smashed down on a table. I wasn't even thinking chocolate anymore at that point, just reusing the general colors I had built up from before. All the while trying to navigate an invisible hue wheel, so that was another source of healthy limitation...

I do like the background color, it's really very airy and at the same time underwater-like (there's clearly a nice proper word for that but it escapes me). That feeling is accentuated by the automatic subtle lighting too, giving some sense of volume and direction. A completely different feeling to flood-filling the whole buffer with flat color in an old-fashioned paint app. It's in fact almost like you pick the color for a physical material, rather than painting abstract pixels of light - any color you pick will have a life of its own and make for a sensible interesting result.

Should be fun to make some more along these lines with a larger canvas that creates wider context and surroundings.

pai

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:02 am

awww, I love that chocolate donut, so real. so awesome ! :D

Post Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:13 am

Trying to find a way of mixing loose line sketching with surface painting. Ended up kind of backwards here, or not? Put in some large blobs of light shading to discover a shape that I then emphasized with ink-like contours and other scribbles. Really rough and kind of weird, but I think I can grow to like the process! I even had a third layer inbetween with more gradual colored shading that I regretted adding, but then I could just hide it! Pretty neat. The thick black ink works out better than I had expected, although I'm not controlling it very well yet.

constipated-hound.jpg
constipated-hound.jpg (211.98 KiB) Viewed 28821 times

Site Admin

Post Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:37 am

Isn't it amazing how much this looks like nothing else in the digital world? And you're really bringing this quality out beautifully! Bizarre creature for sure, haha, but endearing no less! :D ...put a signature on it and it feels like what it is or will be; a sketch of a famous artist! 8-)
You make me quite proud, I have to admit. :oops:

Post Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:15 pm

I wanted to play a bit more with the ink look, found that I kind of like making blotches here and there. Then I ramped up the fluidity a bit and suddenly I was just making fire and explosions everywhere. Definitely abstract stuff, and almost exclusively monochrome... still. Goofed around with some of them in Photoshop too, cheap color experiments.

slumber.jpg
slumber.jpg (66.1 KiB) Viewed 28570 times

sunset.jpg
sunset.jpg (194.1 KiB) Viewed 28570 times

busyblue.jpg
busyblue.jpg (229.17 KiB) Viewed 28570 times

Post Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:16 pm

Limit of three images per post?

kazmaier.jpg
kazmaier.jpg (203.47 KiB) Viewed 28570 times

Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:05 am

Just one more now that I'm warmed up. Turns out you can do some pretty fun things with simple layering, taking advantage of those 3D edges! Only the soft round brush in this one, which is surprisingly useful in fact. Actually I didn't even change any settings or colors while painting it, only full opacity pressure-sized brush with varying "flick speed" to get solid strokes versus lighter shading, using Ctrl to erase out light. Pretty controllable, actually.

My initial idea was to create her hair with more gritty half-fluid strokes and a darker color underneath the head, so that's why I had the foresight to start on a hovering layer. Ended up not doing that with this one though. Will try some other time.

arcelayered.jpg
arcelayered.jpg (132.95 KiB) Viewed 28569 times

Site Admin

Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:25 am

Hahaha, after seeing the sleeping dog I began to feel like being at a Rorschach test only to end up seeing what any guy would see in them after waking up, hihihihi. Looks very original, though, strong and exhaling in some regards, I think.
Verve kind of exposes ones state of being almost as real paint does. Currently it is still a bit more temperamental than it should be, but patience allows one to achieve fairly precise paintings, while energetic impatience finds a platform of pure expression. And, of course, all the in between states find translation, too, but I believe it is mostly all a matter of evolution for control or self-control.
I'm very excited about all of this, every one of you in here thus far, because somehow it exposes artistic mastery of many periods, slightly favoring expressionism, I guess, hahaha, but masterful for sure! :o :)
Next

Return to Your Artworks