Modular Addon-based extension of Verve?

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Wed May 28, 2014 8:40 pm

Modular Addon-based extension of Verve?

It would be really nice if there was some way to be able to extend verve with modular addon type of things.

This way, the main base program stays really tiny, and if people want to add really crazy things to the program, there could be an API for integrating peoples' opengl thingies automatically or something to work in the program maybe

if people could write their own features and the program could pick them up automatically from inside the folder it runs inside, it would make the program really extendible and flexible, but unfortunately would probably be really hard to implement...

Anyone have opinions on this idea? it just sort of occurred to me when i was messing around in it

Site Admin

Post Wed May 28, 2014 10:28 pm

Re: Modular Addon-based extension of Verve?

Well, at this point there's way too much still missing to throw in an API, but eventually that may become a very fantastic idea! Alone an access to provide custom shaders could be a real kicker. I'll definitely keep that in mind! ;)

Great call, and welcome to the forum, Kavukamari! :D
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Wed May 28, 2014 11:42 pm

thanks a lot for the welcome! I meant to join the forums a while ago, but I was kinda busy with college things and ended up forgetting, but now was as good of a time as any, I suppose.

Post Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:51 am

This is actually something I have wanted to ask for a while. Are you planning on open sourcing verve at any point? I know you said that the code is messy and I can understand not wanting to put it out there. I would personally love to see what your doing shader wise (even if you feel self conscious about it). But I would be satisfied with just being able to write custom shaders; plugins would make me ecstatic. :D

Site Admin

Post Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:10 am

A mild form of an API is considerable, but nothing that'll show up anytime soon. I don't want to go open source for a two reasons, really. My "messy code" is in the BlitzMax wrapper and something I'm only mildly ashamed about. The Shaders I would not consider messy at all. In fact, they're rather tight. My trouble is that this would shove these concepts straight into the gaping mouths of opportunists, maybe even turning this all around and against all of us, who knows. Some people are hopelessly corrupted by our aching system and prefer men fighting against men rather than working together and for all and so on...
I'm sure Verve inspires them already far too much and they may not even know how degenerated their thinking is; rubbing their hands in hopes to drain as many people as possible for the least amount of effort and a stolen idea.

I want to help to heal, even if only a little, but once we've reached a respectable state as mankind in which we understand our purpose in context with existence as a whole as well as our purpose amongst each other, I can't wait to open all of such things as wide as possible, hoping we can collaborate to create the most amazing tools for us all. I actually can't believe we're not their yet, with all our possibilities now to see and listen. Guess we gotta digest our leading stupidity first.... :P
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]