dba's doodles on Verve

Showcase your Verve Art to all ages!

Forum rules
Only post Jpeg images less that 256kb in size, or post a link instead! Keep it family friendly here, please!

Post Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:29 pm

Re: dba's doodles on Verve

many thanks for your kind words, Knacki.

No problem with the technical talk, all of this came first from a technical performance, with no doubt, as are all precious tools.

I'll probably post new stuff soon.

Post Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:02 pm

Winter is coming :D

This time, all the color adjustments were done in Verve, I swear ;) Playing with all the layers setting, transparency, opacity off the brush, liquid, etc ... Just what it takes.
Photoshop did only served to add contrast at the bottom of the picture and to do the black frame, nothing else boss ! :ugeek:
Attachments
WhiteHood_Final_medium.jpg
WhiteHood_Final_medium.jpg (240.84 KiB) Viewed 82507 times

Site Admin

Post Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:16 pm

BRAVO, dba, BRAVO! LOVE IT! :D
The weird creature is inspiring all sorts of interpretations, haha.
Love the colors of the whole piece and the hazy depth, cold but oddly inviting.

For the black frame, you could've used the cropping (holding [Alt]) and then just add a layer underneath with either black chosen as background color [p] or filled it with black [Ctrl]+[Shift]+[F].
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:12 pm

Cool image!
I had this one!
[Maj] + [Ctrl] + [f​] pour remplir le calque courant avec la couleur de l'opacité actuellement sélectionnée. ;)
Is beautiful that please without concept!
http://moiscript.weebly.com/ https://schmoll8.wixsite.com/magicavox
Latop: Geforce GTX 950M, Intel Quad Core i7, Windows 10, 8 Gigas, 2.4ghz

Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:16 am

Taron wrote:hazy depth

I learned a new word today, and it's exactly what I wanted to achieve in that picture, hazy depth ! :!:
Thank you for the compliments

I knew the crop feature, and use it a lot, same for the fill shortcuts. Just didn't think about it :oops:

Thanks a lot to both of you.

jim

Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:34 pm

Boy, these i enjoy very much! Very beautiful colors and mood :shock:
Keep'em coming, please :)
Specs: Intel Core i7-990X Extreme Edition : NVIDIA GeForce GTX580 : 12 GB DDR3 1333 MHz : Windows 7 64bit

Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:02 pm

Um, some tests lately but none satisfied me. This one, you may like it a bit but, for me, I feel too much frustrated of not being able to master enough the tool to make a strong drawing before painting. So I can not help but find it ugly. I feel very happy to paint with Verve, but drawing with it is some kind of torture actually for me. I guess I draw with other tools (paper and MangaStudio) since too much time now. I'll definitely wait for the import feature before trying others characters studies on Verve. I saw a topic where you explain how much work it implies, Taron, so I hope you won't be too ambitious with that feature but I'll wait what it takes, no problem.
Attachments
NakedStand_final_medium.jpg
Again, some photoshop help. Added Texture and image sharpen.
NakedStand_final_medium.jpg (131.59 KiB) Viewed 82359 times

Site Admin

Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:33 pm

That's beautiful! Ok, it's not entirely clear what gender this is, kind of female (the waiste), kind of male (the short torso with the heavy shoulders and the ratio between butt and legs and the big feet), elbows could go lower, too, but the colors are outstanding and the overall feel is highly artistic and exciting!

I'll also work on the drawing features as well, since it's really vital for any paint app to allow good sketching, too. I guess, I should offer a "pencil" or "ink" type of preset to make that more obvious an option.
Can you somehow describe what's so unpleasant for you in terms of drawing?

I'll definitely hook up post processing soon, too! :)

Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:32 pm

Exactly what I felt : it was supposed to be a woman but couldn't get the shape that I would have done easy on paper. Rhaaaaaaaaaaa ! So frustrating ! :cry:

Honnestly I really really can't explain what makes a software confortable for drawing. I can just say that its very different for each person. I know many artists feeling very confortable with photoshop, while I never managed. On the contrary, lot of them can't draw with Manga Studio, whereas its the best for me. I made my whole last comic on it : (http://dba-bd.blogspot.fr/2012/03/minotaure-tome-1-extrait-2.html#pages/1)
But off course MangaStudio is not a tool for painting and I think it will never try to become.
Painter is some compromise but I never felt confortable on it, too complex I'd say. Precisely because it wants to handle all the artistic parts. Big mistake, if you ask me.

Wanting to have an app so good for painting like Verve, and at the same time good enough for drawing seems to me like trying to square the circle. My opinion is you should focus on what Verve is the best for. And not only the best, the one and only ! Whatever tool you will provide for drawing, most of us will always stay on the app we are used to, because a lot of them are good for that. Simple. But, hey, none is such a great experience when dealing with matter and fluids !

My fear is, how to say... if you don't let people use there favorite tool in addition to Verve, they will feel too much frustration and get back to their habits, eventually.
I hope you will provide sketching tools, good enough to suit many artists but I know that I won't use it. Because for that matter I found the good one, as far as I am concerned.

Come on, :roll: give us the import feature, please please please. :D

I know what you think ;) You believe that if people can do too much parts of the image on another software before using Verve, then they will never take time to test all the things they could have done directly in Verve. And that can be true. But, on the other hand, if we can't use what makes us feel confortable for the parts that don't need Verve, before testing Verve for the things we are ready to experiment, then it will represent too much effort for a simple test. My feeling.

Off course all those considerations doesn't concern abstract purpose, but, mainly, the figurative artists that have some experiments for long time with other softwares.

(I hope my english stays understandable :oops: )

Site Admin

Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:02 pm

I think your english works quite well! One little mistake I keep seeing you do is the difference between "off" (which means to switch off, or turn off, or off the hook" and "of" which means in "relation" to or "from" as in "of course", or tens of thousands, or "a friend of mine".

Other than that, of course, there will be an import option. I'm just still struggling with the different formats right now and have to spend a bit more time to figure it out. Blitzmax is not supporting formats above 8bit and converts 16bit images down to 8, thus I have to write my own import functions just as I did export already. Export is somehow a little easier, because I can tell it to use one specific format. Import could be all sorts of arrangements, so... just a bit tougher to deal with for me.

However, a big point of Verve is to provide great fun to paint and a sense of joy creating altogether. It's my pleasure to make it more and more exciting in all aspects! I have no intention at all to "square the circle", but to explore improvements in how we deal with art on the computer. I have also no intention to copy any existing programs nor coerce people into using Verve. Entice, though, for sure! :D

Oh, boy, that's a beautiful comic style! I somehow get a little bit of a Moebius feel from it, which is awesome! But I haven't dealt with comics in almost 20 years or longer. Fantastic, though. Wished I would understand french, haha! :P :mrgreen:
Cool!
Well, yeah, I'm planning to play with stroke qualities in Verve as I had been planning to do early on already, but I haven't gotten around to that, yet. It is vital for the brush engine I have in mind, so decent drawing could end up becoming a side effect. :)

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, dba, it's MUCH appreciated! I really love your style and you do make me hurry to solve the import issue for sure! ;)
PreviousNext

Return to Your Artworks