With verve into the light

Showcase your Verve Art to all ages!

Forum rules
Only post Jpeg images less that 256kb in size, or post a link instead! Keep it family friendly here, please!

Site Admin

Post Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:26 pm

Re: With verve into the light

Eh...there are several ways to build strokes up. I can't quite focus right now for some reason, making it hard for me to explain, but be aware that the higher the speed, the more the material gets spread thin. If you go slower, more will be left on the canvas. 0% fluidity and some smudging can give you the most control over obvious stroke structures.
All vector motions respond to the canvas texture, making all brushes interact with it when it comes to smudging, but only brush #9 also responds to it with its bristles, that's correct.
And it's something I will eventually address, too. I promise! 8-)
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:32 pm

@Knacki

Try elevating light source with [shift + up]. It helps to shade crevices of the brush. :)

Post Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:45 pm

Finally

From an interview with John Lee Hooker:

"Did God give you your special talent for blues?"

"Yeah, I believe he did. Nobody can tell me different. I don’t read and write that good, so God give it to me
http://jasobrecht.com/john-lee-hooker-living-blues-interviews/

The notes are from his song "I'm in the mood for love."

J_L_Hooker-Fin.jpg
J_L_Hooker-Fin.jpg (247.52 KiB) Viewed 74408 times

Who ever gave it to him, it made him special.

Thanks zen - but there is almost nothing. It would get way to dark. I tried.
This is a 100% crop of the image:

J-L-H-100percent_crop.jpg
J-L-H-100percent_crop.jpg (244.45 KiB) Viewed 74406 times
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram

Site Admin

Post Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:32 pm

Wonder, if you can tell that I like it! :D
...fantastic, Knacki! :ob

Post Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:04 am

Very nice Knacki! Now we are neighbours in top row! :D
Like the colors and overall composition. :ob
So good blues, I also prefer to listen music of someone who I paint (if that's the case) and do my research to find more about!
As we work from images we must enrich our senses with more infos about that person who we paint.
Just continue pursuing with colors and you will find what's best for what I'm sure. ;)
I'm also learning more with each sketch I do.
It's a combination of fluidity, bristle count and bristle bias of brush #9 which I change often. I found fluidity very important factor to mix paint as I put strokes on canvas to get more subtle passages. And last but not least, stroke length and painting from planes/area to planes/area (Always paint one thing into another and not side by side until they touch - an excerpt from excellent Sargent's notes).
Last edited by zen_ on Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:58 am

That's the way I like it, thats the way I like it! :ob c:! :) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llHhiiNnIjY :), ok and the original https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM7zRfHG0no - sorry for spam)

Post Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:05 pm

Hihi, cool.
John is up there.
Thanks for all nice comments, and thanks taron, you can see last time development is partly your fault, due verve and your positive energy commenting any step I did. if forth or back ;)
Oh well zen, I'll come back to these colour stuff later, but I am really fed up with me not being able to draw a body in any pose right away like I want, and in the quality I want to accept.
I am struggling way too much with basics to feel free, and the result is just a bunch of compromises.
As I love human faces and shapes I'll stick on that. Drawing is more my personality than painting, because it's a bit more technical, so I'll stick on that for further studies.
Btw, last portrait started as a drawing too.
Anyway, painting loose concepts is final target.
This guy is just awesome.
http://m.tapastic.com/series/GhostBlade
I really need this for my personal future.

But I realized that I won't be able to come to this loose and playful style, if I don't know the basics as a routine,without thinking about anymore.

I hear any kind of music as long as it is well done, from classic to death metal and due to my son also German gangster Rap, which is the only musical torture possibly could happen to me, but even there I find some nice moments, or one entire song I almost could like in a weak moment. Like this Dead or alive cover, Lemi. But blues, best if it's played live, is different. It fits to me like drawing in the moment.

Anyway time to work! Hope I'll still find time for doing decent stuff next weeks. I'll stick on daily practise, that's for sure!

Post Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:50 pm

I love your last artworks, also the one in the top-row c:!
I will have more time next week again. c:! Did you have paintet also the notes in Verve? I will for my self spend also some more time for vector art - not really, just the paths and filling the a solid color and exporting as transparent png :ob - and after that .. masking in Verve with the Q - Shortkeys. :beer:
my system: intel7 - 2600k, gtx 970, dualboot windows 7 64 bit / ubuntu 14.04 lts
my deviantartpage: http://zeropainter.deviantart.com/gallery
my youtube channel: zeropainter - ok, there are only 2-3 very short videos

Post Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:10 pm

Hey zero,
Yes all done in verve. I just used photoshop for colour correction and blending mode for notes.
For the lines, I made myself a image brush containing five dots. Put bristles on 100% and mouse speed on 3% to almost avoid dots.
The notes are painted by hand. First I thought about some custom shapes from photoshop, but that would have looked way to digital.
Already the lines are a bit to perfect.

Todays practise is a step towards the other gender. Well and a first glimpse on my enemy #1 - hands.
Missed her proportions quite a bit. Her face was much wider. To fix that, lasso and scale would be cool, or better - more practise!!!

Female_Practise.jpg
Female_Practise.jpg (251.2 KiB) Viewed 74348 times

And after some correction in PS and little overwork in verve.

Corr1.jpg
Corr1.jpg (247.25 KiB) Viewed 74348 times

Site Admin

Post Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:29 pm

Nice study! I think the lips are still a bit off in perspective. The lower lip shows it the most with the bulge on her right side and the upper lips center "nipple" suggesting a more frontal rotation.
But she sure is getting pretty! :)
PreviousNext

Return to Your Artworks