What's your favourite Freeware, OpenSource Progz?

Philosophy, Politics, Humor, what ever should have its own place far, far away from galleries and feedback... here we can go for it almost shamelessly! :)

Forum rules
More than anywhere on this forum I'd ask you all to be courteous and respectful to each other, but don't hesitate to speak your mind! :geek:
Please, do not advertise commercial software here!

Post Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:44 am

Re: What's your favourite LowBudget, Freeware, OpenSource Pr

I see, trial message is really strange but I think it was free. I am not sure if I mentioned the Buzz tracker earlier: http://buzzwiki.robotplanet.dk/index.ph ... _Buzz_Wiki

Site Admin

Post Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:37 pm

Holy hell... you need a degree to operate this thing, huh?! :shock: :lol:
I'm sure it's powerful. :) Thanks for the link! :D
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:24 pm

Haha, it looks at the first sight :) After I saw Propellerhead's Reason I thought the same (and after I pressed Tab key I almost collapsed in a dead faint) :D

Yes, it is really powerful and there are many generators (synths, effects, vocoders, sample based) available. As an example song could be this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcQS67hWeD4

Site Admin

Post Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:01 pm

Hmmm...yeah, well, hmmm...it's interesting, but doesn't really sound like it's worth the trouble right off the bet, as they say. I know, it always takes some time to get used to new concepts and such, but you can also sense it when something blows you away and when something just doesn't quite cut it. Like the SunVox thing and all the others of Anthony, this thing, too, has a very raw sound with enough artifacts to get concerned. Musagi has its own troubles, of course, as do they all, but it really is clear enough about not being a "serious" DAW, you know.
I don't yet have a favorite, even if I enjoy a few of them in their own rite. But if it's about the most fun I've had thus far, Musagi remains the winner, even if I had stunning and endless fun with Reason in its days, but it never felt innocent. Musagi feels innocent.
Once I'm ready to take a bit of a break from painting, I'll resume making my own little music tool. I'm too curious how far I can take that. In its roots will be one totally new synthesis process and my take on physical modeling. I'll also play around with alternative input solutions, whereby I'm mildly angry about SunVox, because it has the theremin input just like I had it already in my first test and I absolutely love it! Not that that's a problem at all, but I hope he won't think the wrong thoughts.

Anyway, buzz is too damn weird and probably takes some careful tutorial exercises and some research before one can even begin to enjoy it without losing ones hearing, haha... MY EARS...WHY WON'T IT STOP! :o :lol:

Post Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:11 pm

Yes, I fully understand. Frankly to say I tried Buzz years ago and I don´t use it. It is the cool free project but the interface didn´t catch my eyes so much. I like the modular system inside the Buzz where you can set and control how the signal flows from the generator machine through effects modules to the Buzz master output (something like the Reason's cable system on the back side). You are right, Musagi feels innocent. I understand why you prefer and love it :)

Site Admin

Post Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:13 pm

SunVox, by the way, is also modular and already feels nicer than Buzz. You should have a closer look at that. Even without a tutorial I've managed to actually make a tiny test tune. Took me a moment to figure out the tracker section, but then it's quite nice. But the quality is crude to say the least. Seems like he was not supersampling anything, which is a pity, because the theremin section is nice. Upside: My approach to that sounds nicer! :lol: :?

Post Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:28 am

Thank you for your recommendation, Taron. I installed and checked the SunVox yesterday evening. It is always amazing what a piece of an elaborated software is created only by one person and for free (like Verve :D). I absolutely appreciate that!
SunVox reminds me Amiga or Atari software from the old era. That is not bad at all but I prefer more modern UI :) And you are right, the output sounds are not so vivid and little bit flat..

I am sure you know Rebirth. it is focused mainly on TB303 and TR808 acid sounds but it is still cool standalone software. And it looks it is free for PC now:
http://www.rebirthmuseum.com/

Site Admin

Post Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:08 am

Yeah, that was the first big thing, that's right. This thing was the origin of Reason and provided endless hours of fun. Great post!
I've found a torrent link that still seems to be working: ReBirth Torrent
And here's a PDF on how to install it under Windows 7 or higher... ReBirth on Windows
Runs beautifully here now. The torrent has countless mods, too, which is fun and impressive. I really had no clue people went so wild with this thing. I wished I'd still have my old songs, though... I'm sure there were some fun tracks, too.

Post Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:57 pm

:) I am going to check and run Rebirth too! :bounce: I am pretty sure I lost my old Rebirth songs too. I was trying to find them on web but no luck, only I can find some of my old xm modules. Oh, time goes by sooo fast..

Post Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:41 pm

Hahaha, I know that Prog. Long, long time ago I spent some freaky time with it. Was shipped with the soundcard?? those days. Can't really remember.

These days I am playing with "Auxy" on ipad, which is in basic version free too.
But never tried to do some serious things, just for fun.
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram
PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic